AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
12/21/10 10:48 p.m.

My close friend Darren didn't show up to work for a few days and wasn't answering his phone. friday last week (12/17), another close friend went to his house and found his car in the driveway with icicles touching the ground, obviously hadn't moved in a few days. went into the house and found Darren dead on the couch. natural causes. he would've been 43 today.

i spoke to him on 12/12, we were planning to meet up for a drink on the 18th since we both have birthdays this week. so tonight, i met a couple friends at the bar and had a Jack and Coke, Tall, because that's what Darren would've ordered.

viewing tomorrow evening, followed by more Jack and Coke I'm sure. funeral on my birthday, 12/23.

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
12/21/10 10:51 p.m.

Sorry man. You never know.

Joey

Chebbie_SB
Chebbie_SB Dork
12/21/10 10:52 p.m.

Very sorry to hear that, 43 is just way too young. My condolences to all his friends and family.

Chebbie

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
12/21/10 10:52 p.m.

Sorry for the loss of your friend, AC. I'll tip a J&C in his honor.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
12/21/10 11:16 p.m.

43? wow. mortality of it all, and all that jazz.

If I could stomach Jack i would have one too, but I will substitute some J&B, and drink two in his honor.

Sucks to lose the ones that mean something.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
12/22/10 12:07 a.m.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I see it all too often in the hospital I work with.

To friends who leave us too soon - I'll tip a tall one in his memory.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
12/22/10 8:33 a.m.

Damn P, sorry to hear that. I'll have a tall Beam (sorry, no Jack in the house) and Coke tonight in his honor.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
12/22/10 8:52 a.m.

Wow, terrible to hear. So close to Christmas too. Sorry to hear of the loss, will definitely tip one back in honor...

924guy
924guy Dork
12/22/10 9:15 a.m.

that really sucks...

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin PowerDork
12/22/10 9:16 a.m.

Sorry to hear about your loss Pat. Just one more reason to treat every day like it is your last. It sucks to lose friends, regardless of age.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
12/22/10 9:30 a.m.

So sorry for your loss.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/22/10 9:33 a.m.

On the other hand...
Have you ever seen someone die a slow death from a terminal illness? Seems that Darren may have had it good right up to the last moment. Given the options this is the one that I would choose!
Sure, it is early and it makes it hard for those left behind, but for him - Darren - it was probably not a bad deal.

For me, bring it swift. I have seen the lingering version.

I had to use this logic just last christmas season. My best friend from childhood's mother passed away. She also served as my other mother. For me this was "the other house" that I grew up in. Back then he and I were inseperable though over the adult years we have gone seperate ways.
She smoked like a fiend all her life and always with a cup of coffee. Given her way of life it could have been a long slow death.
She had just retired and her and her husband were moving off to AZ. One morning at 9am she was found dead in bed reading a book. Never a moment of pain. Good deal!

For those of us left behind, we fell the emptiness from their being gone.
Sorry for your loss.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
12/22/10 9:51 a.m.

Sorry for you loss, Pat. Damnit man . . . This has been one helluva year

Tipping one for your homie . . .

Drewsifer
Drewsifer Dork
12/22/10 9:55 a.m.

Sorry to hear that.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
12/22/10 10:06 a.m.

My condolencses.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
12/22/10 10:11 a.m.

So sorry man. My best friend and my brother are both 43/44. I can't imagine life without either.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
12/22/10 10:17 a.m.

So sorry for your loss, man.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bU745uYNMjEH2CYZgH9sq8VxS3szGBmi55YnhrJiKLiHgOVmSVQ8ZIIVqIsYLTCU