JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
5/11/16 3:10 p.m.

A little humor from my home office window just about 20 minutes ago...

Video of runaway golf cart

The end result:

Robbie
Robbie SuperDork
5/11/16 3:25 p.m.

oof. I bet that incurs a higher than standard cart fee.

NickD
NickD Dork
5/11/16 3:28 p.m.

When my father worked for Tactair, they used to hold a company golf outing that was for all employees. My father never went (he hates golf) but there were two other machinists who used to go and not pick up a single club. They would just go get drunk and then drive around terrorizing people on golf karts. Then one year they ran one of the karts off into the water. The company paid for it and slapped them on the wrist. The next year they went back and managed to barrel-roll another kart. That time they had to pay for the kart and they were banned from future events.

Furious_E
Furious_E HalfDork
5/11/16 3:28 p.m.

Ghost ride the whip...

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
5/11/16 3:59 p.m.

One of the sponsors of the stock car I worked on had a charity tournament every year they invited us to. A couple guys were decent golfers and I was mostly comedy relief losing balls, handing out drinks and annoying serious golfers. By the end of the day we had lost the roof and steering column in two separate rollovers the second one dislocated my friend's shoulder and we had picked up some extra passengers who had to abandon their cart after sinking it in a sand trap.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/11/16 4:43 p.m.

When Kruse Auctions used to run an event at Volo, we managed to wrangle a kart. My buddy's ego got real big, and wouldn't let us use it. We also figured out how to tighten the governed for top speed.

Said buddy piled the kart full of us and did slides in the wet grass. All fun till we hit dry gravel and blew both rear tires, ripping them completely off the rims. We all hopped off the crippled kart, and disappeared into the crowd, leaving him to explain how he killed his ride.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
5/11/16 8:14 p.m.

I don't see the "finished result" pic

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
5/11/16 9:11 p.m.

You're right, it was there earlier.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
5/11/16 9:59 p.m.

Not sure why you don't see but it ended in the creek.

From the middle of the 18th the cart headed toward the 18th tee. The slope of the land caused a gradual right turning. It the went airbord into the 17th sand trap. Exited the trap which seems to have caused a very sharp right and landed square in the creek.
I did not see the finally in action, just the resting place and the tracks.
The grounds crew was out quickly with a John Dere tractor and using the bucket to pull the cart up. I'm told that when lifted in the air, the wheels were still spinning on the cart.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/12/16 8:29 a.m.

Nope, pics are failing to load.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
5/12/16 8:38 a.m.

Knowwaddimean Vern?

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
5/12/16 8:44 a.m.

My favorite part is how he starts jogging and then decides it's not worth it and just walks.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
5/12/16 10:33 a.m.

Before I got the video rolling, he had run about 75-100 yards down this par 5.
I figured he was stopping because I thought the neighbors trees/shrubs/landscaping had stopped the cart (as the cart traveled out of my view.) I then left the room and headed for the door. When I got out there the cart had gone another 75-100 yards and was already in the creek.
Moments later the club pro and club manager arrived via carts. They called in the head groundskeeper to get the tractor.

As far as "not worth it." Don't worry about him. Local Commercial Real Estate Mogul who could afford to buy a new car every day of the week if he had to.
As for his health, he literally plays golf every day of the week that he can. His 3-some are known for getting in 300 rounds of golf per year (just at this club.)

MonJH
MonJH New Reader
10/18/24 3:01 a.m.

Funny video, small car but brave) I've been into golf for the past few years. It's a sport that requires focus, patience, and precision, which I enjoy. Recently, I’ve been looking into getting a special golf cart to make my rounds more efficient. These carts https://bayridgegolf.com/how-heavy-is-a-golf-cart-surprising-facts-revealed/ are not only convenient but also add a fun element to the game. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vZQCsZnl6B8514e2h6VhS4xSAzhOj74FLtSss8uVYZJrlLXPPMgdvhskcK0K4UKH