captainzib
captainzib Reader
12/16/08 8:23 a.m.

The google says that one will solve the static problem in my place, and I've also been led to believe that if the air is dry, it exacerbates various cold symptoms.

So I'm curious as to what I need to know before buying one, because I have no clue. What kind of range do they have? I want one mostly to make sleeping more comfortable, but would one in my room help out with the air through the apartment as long as I leave my bedroom door open?

Let me know guys, and thanks in advance.

Fritz_the_Cat
Fritz_the_Cat New Reader
12/16/08 12:14 p.m.

Most of the ultrasonic or evaporative types are good for about 1500 square feet. But if the water is hard where you live, it will leave a white dust from all the minerals in your water. Alternately, you can use distilled water or some other type that has had most of the minerals removed. And I'm not exaggerating on the white dust. It gets EVERYWHERE!

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
12/16/08 12:19 p.m.

I have an April Air attached to the furnace. Taps the city water line. I need to replace the screen every 5 years or so. But, Columbus H2O is very clean. Very little mineral build up.

It does work. No arcs flying off the cat's noses in February. I keep the place about 30% Rh

captainzib
captainzib Reader
12/16/08 12:38 p.m.

So how difficult is it to install one of these things to the furnace? I'm currently renting a place with a friend, and in all likelihood, I'd be moving out before he does, so I was more into the idea of one of those smaller humidifiers that could fit on a nightstand or something like that. But if the furnace mounted ones are the way to go, I'd consider it.

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
12/16/08 2:54 p.m.

Fitting to the AC/furnace is the way to go, but it's not always possible and if you're in a rental, it probably won't fly with the owner (one more thing for them to maintain). In my house, the air handler is in the attic, so no permanent humidifier for us.

You can get the plug-in variety in many sizes. The larger ones will do the apartment all day on one fill. The smaller ones will do a bedroom all day on a normal setting, or overnight on high.

Get the quietest one you can find. The fans can be noisy on the low-tech models.

We keep a large (12 or 14 gallon) one on the first floor and run it over night and again while we're at work.

Woody
Woody Dork
12/16/08 2:55 p.m.

http://www.amazon.com/Crane-Adorable-Gallon-Humidifier-Penguin/dp/B000GWJD0A/ref=pd_bxgy_ba_img_c

captainzib
captainzib Reader
12/16/08 3:07 p.m.

Well then I'll probably just grab whatever plug-in model I can find at the local big box store. I appreciate everyone's input.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
12/16/08 3:26 p.m.

My experience is that the "cold" ones are just that...I had one of those and the ex complained that it made the room feel colder.

The one it was replaced with was a cheap, effective, unit marketed under the "Vics" (as in vapo-rub) brand and was basically a polyethylene tank/tub thing with a plug in heater unit that basically made water vapor and shut itself off when it ran out of water. It was quiet and effective. A little gurgling every now and then from the heater element...but that's about it.

Clem

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HGPsDCKX1Bq7t763XqmY4gjiqGI0jFvnx8I0NN6RJpEtJGU1Hw0vAwSumshE8kLg