1 2
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/23/24 10:33 a.m.

Project Hail Mary, his 3rd book, is being made into a film. Ryan Gosling Jr plays Ryland Grace. I was kinda hoping for Artemis to make it into movie form, but this still sounds awesome. 

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
4/23/24 10:35 a.m.

Nice. The audiobook was fantastic, looking forward to it. 

gumby
gumby SuperDork
4/23/24 10:36 a.m.

I just finished the Project Hail Mary audiobook. Good stuff.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
4/23/24 11:19 a.m.

Awesome! I read the book after The Martian and loved it.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/23/24 11:36 a.m.
bobzilla said:

Project Hail Mary, his 3rd book, is being made into a film. Ryan Gosling Jr plays Ryland Grace. I was kinda hoping for Artemis to make it into movie form, but this still sounds awesome. 

I was less impressed with ArtemisPHM was better.

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
4/23/24 11:40 a.m.

*Jazz hands*

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
4/23/24 11:58 a.m.

For a second I thought we were talking about Bob Weir.  I would read a book by Bob Weir.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/23/24 12:10 p.m.
Duke said:
bobzilla said:

I was less impressed with ArtemisPHM was better.

I thought Artemis was better overall than the last one, but not enough to dislike any of them. 

brandonsmash
brandonsmash Reader
4/23/24 12:55 p.m.

Oh, cool! I enjoyed Hail Mary a fair bit. Artemis, less so. I thought that PHM did the sience-adjacent parts better than Artemis, in any case. 

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
4/23/24 1:04 p.m.

I really wanted to like his 3rd book but daaaang. So much of the backbone he hanged the storyline on is just too preposterous. Will prolly wanna see the movie anyway tho.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/23/24 1:08 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I found the main character in Artemis a bit annoying.  Oddly enough as a libertarian I don't have much patience for the rebel-without-a-clue type.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/23/24 1:10 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I am a libertarian, but enjoy "rebel-without-a-clue" at times because I see and know too many people that are that way. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/23/24 1:12 p.m.

The Martian was remarkable in having only 2 science handwaves (the dust storm at the beginning and the return trajectory, which would have probably killed the crew due to radiation exposure).  Alas, Project Hail Mary has a lot more than that.

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
4/23/24 1:38 p.m.

I really enjoyed Artemis.  PHM was better, but I'd appreciate a movie of either of them.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/23/24 1:40 p.m.

In reply to prodarwin :

I saw a blurb they were working at making one for Artemis but it ended up being something different. 

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS HalfDork
5/9/24 9:39 a.m.

i just started reading project hail mary, I read the martian when i learned about it years ago, enjoyed the movie, didn't pick up artemis because I had heard mixed reviews but based on what everybody here has said picked up PHM and am enjoying it quite a bit, so far i'm only 4-5 chapters (he just remembered his name and is in the cockpit for the first time)

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS HalfDork
5/9/24 9:41 a.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:

The Martian was remarkable in having only 2 science handwaves (the dust storm at the beginning and the return trajectory, which would have probably killed the crew due to radiation exposure).  Alas, Project Hail Mary has a lot more than that.

if I can believe that every problem the enterprise crew faced can be solved by some mysterious tech on the ship in a room that was previously unknown to the viewer and that no matter what a bald french guy with a british accent is the galaxies best captain i can accept the inaccuracies present in this book.  

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
5/9/24 12:41 p.m.

I liked Project Hail Mary, but it had a bit of a formula that was starting to get a little obvious where Ryland would find a solution to his immediate problem, but overlook something or take as short cut that would set up his next problem.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/9/24 12:54 p.m.
ClearWaterMS said:

[...] didn't pick up artemis because I had heard mixed reviews but based on what everybody here has said [...]

Artemis isn't *bad* at all.  It's just not as engaging as The Martian.

jharry3
jharry3 Dork
5/9/24 1:48 p.m.
Jay_W said:

I really wanted to like his 3rd book but daaaang. So much of the backbone he hanged the storyline on is just too preposterous. Will prolly wanna see the movie anyway tho.

Unlike the need for the audience to suspend its disbelief that 60mph Martian winds, in an atmosphere that is 1% as dense as on our planet, could knock over anything like it did in the book and movie.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
5/9/24 2:38 p.m.

I'm just happy that we'll not be wasting any more of our precious resources rescuing Matt Damon.  That dude has gotten himself into way too much trouble already.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/9/24 2:50 p.m.
jharry3 said:
Jay_W said:

Unlike the need for the audience to suspend its disbelief that 60mph Martian winds, in an atmosphere that is 1% as dense as on our planet, could knock over anything like it did in the book and movie.

I do not think that is an issue for the vast majority of the movie going audience.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS HalfDork
5/9/24 5:58 p.m.
WonkoTheSane said:

I'm just happy that we'll not be wasting any more of our precious resources rescuing Matt Damon.  That dude has gotten himself into way too much trouble already.

$900 Billion in 8 Movies- Absurd Amount of Money Matt Damon Rescue Missions Have Cost to Hollywood

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/9/24 8:15 p.m.
ClearWaterMS said:
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:

if I can believe that every problem the enterprise crew faced can be solved by some mysterious tech on the ship in a room that was previously unknown to the viewer and that no matter what a bald french guy with a british accent is the galaxies best captain i can accept the inaccuracies present in this book.  

Trek isn't about accuracy, it's about characters and plot.  It's worth noting that the best Trek stories (the ones that everyone remembers!) don't involve inverting the the neutron flux through the deflector dish to scramble the tachyon emissions of something.  The Doomsday Machine, Guardian of Forever, Wrath of Khan, Trek 4 (the whale movie), Best of Both Worlds, The Inner Light -- none of those fall back on "treknobabble" to solve problems.

The Martian hangs its hat on accuracy and "this could really happen".  Watney is a 2-dimensional character with virtually no development but you don't care because you're caught up in the "this could really happen" and realistic problem solving.

Project Hail Mary has a similar lack of characterization for similar reasons, but the problem solving starts to involve a lot more hand waving and becomes less engrossing as a result.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/9/24 8:27 p.m.

The original Trek was competing with Bonanza for viewers. It's not hard sci-fi and was never meant to be.

I agree that Weir has struggled trying to match the realistic problem solving that he had in the Martian. Artemis had some of it but was hampered by a main character who was willing to do massive amounts of damage for no good reason, her motivations were poor. I didn't enjoy Hail Mary the first time I read it but a later audiobook listen brought me around a bit. I can see how it could make a good movie just for the general concept, as hand waving works better in that medium than in print :)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bm3cZefY4MfG5yjD4gCaR1n2PfZIYsIXfQcDg8KAGgbrrCD3OIUyIgLQz3F8TjzY