1 2 3 4
DrBoost
DrBoost Reader
1/4/09 12:55 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: The magazine turned out to be a cleverly disguised copy of the Watchtower. They really didn't think out this religion very well at all, where you must annoy random strangers with your religion until all of society is sick of it. At least Christians tend to use better judgement with this sort of thing.

How was it disguised? Was it wearing a large nose and glasses? Trenchcoat and hat? Did not the HUGE "Watchtower" accross the top give it away? The other day I picked up an issue of Road and Track. Man was I ticked off! It was actually a disguised issue of Teen People! I didn't notice it said "Teen People" right on top, how dastardly!!

BTW, JW's are Christian.

GameboyRMH wrote: At least Christians tend to use better judgement with this sort of thing.

Better judgment? Is letting your clergy molest little boys then covering it up for decades better judgment? Is not only getting involved in, but in fact blessing wars better judgment? Now, I'm not bashing any one faith just because they allowed the clergy to be NAMBLA members or KKK members but let's get real here folks. These people aren't hurting anyone.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/4/09 1:06 p.m.
DrBoost wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: The magazine turned out to be a cleverly disguised copy of the Watchtower. They really didn't think out this religion very well at all, where you must annoy random strangers with your religion until all of society is sick of it. At least Christians tend to use better judgement with this sort of thing.
How was it disguised? Was it wearing a large nose and glasses? Trenchcoat and hat? Did not the HUGE "Watchtower" accross the top give it away? The other day I picked up an issue of Road and Track. Man was I ticked off! It was actually a disguised issue of Teen People! I didn't notice it said "Teen People" right on top, how dastardly!! BTW, JW's are Christian.

Probly refering to the more "mainstream" branches, like how some consider Catholic different from Christian. Then again Jewish, Christian, Muslim is the same basic religion, just a matter of do you follow proffet #1, 2, or 3.

DrBoost
DrBoost Reader
1/4/09 1:07 p.m.

I've had talks with Mormons and JW's and I see it this way. They are simply following Jesus' example found at Luke 8:1, that is going out from "village to village" preaching and infact, following his orders found in Matthew 10:7 where he instructed is apostles and indeed his followers to go out (even said "by two's) to preach). Are they preaching what you want to hear? Maybe not but they aren't after your money, are not trying to hurt you and are doing, what in thier heart, is the right thing to do. Even though some of the beliefs of both those faiths make my head spin I respect them for having the courage that so many so-called christian faiths lack the stones to do, that is to spread the word. So, let's say a Mormon comes to my door next saturday, I'll be polite and depending on my mood, I'll either send them away with a plesant good-by or talk a while. More than likely I'll send them on to the next door but there's no reason to be rude folks.

matt. 10:7 Luke 8:1

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/4/09 1:19 p.m.

JG----- I love your wife

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Reader
1/4/09 2:02 p.m.
DrBoost wrote:
Salanis wrote: HappyAndy, YOU do realize that, when YOU capitalize YOUR text in an online message, it indicates that YOU are shouting what YOU have capitalized. When YOU do this to only a few of YOUR words, it makes YOUR message much more interesting. If YOU read YOUR earlier message with that in mind, it makes YOUR post far more amusing. At the very least, YOU break up the flow of YOUR text, and it just makes it harder for YOU to read. Don't YOU think?
Well, when YOU or YOUR are in all caps, it denotes different things in the bible. "YOU" in all caps means that the pronoun is in the plural number. Also, where the plural number of a verb is not apparent to the reader, its plurality is indicated by printing it capitalized.

DrBoost, thanx for explaining that clearly. Your explanation was much more consice than the one that I would have given. The text that I posted was ripped directly from an online source and I didn't change any caps or puntuation. It was exactly as I sourced it.

mtn
mtn Dork
1/4/09 3:11 p.m.

I always try to engage in biblical conversation with such folks. It is always funny to see when you know more about the bible and religion in general than them, and they are scrambling.

Duke
Duke Dork
1/4/09 3:28 p.m.
Johnboyjjb wrote: My church does door to door neighborhood canvasing but only at places that are new (people that are moving in to the area for the first time). The speech is easy - "We're from the church down the road, we brought you some information about the area and a flower for your yard. Our business card is in the baggie; give us a call if you need anything." Included in the package is a large potted sunflower and a baggie with restaurant menus and coupons to other local establishments. Would that be offensive to anybody?

No, I agree, that's nice and welcoming, not offensive. You've acted generously, you've indicated who you are affiliated with and where your church is in case they decide to check it out, and then you've left them alone.

That's perfect. If only other churches would follow your example. Speaking as an atheist, I have a sincere appreciation for this approach.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
1/4/09 3:39 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: Even though some of the beliefs of both those faiths make my head spin I respect them for having the courage that so many so-called christian faiths lack the stones to do, that is to spread the word. So, let's say a Mormon comes to my door next saturday, I'll be polite and depending on my mood, I'll either send them away with a plesant good-by or talk a while. More than likely I'll send them on to the next door but there's no reason to be rude folks.

+1

Xceler8x
Xceler8x HalfDork
1/4/09 3:50 p.m.

By my definition..just dropping by someone's house unannounced is rude.

When I'm at home on the couch, in various stages of undress, minding my own business, and someone knocks on the door without calling first? I'm irritated right away. Especially if it's a stranger. If it's a friend I'll see what they may need first and relax a bit. But a stranger who's coming by to enlighten the heathen? Witness please!

Dropping by a bag or literature is no biggie. I'll use what I want and pitch the rest.

Mostly, I enjoy freedom FROM religion. Much like door to door salesmen, If I want your product I'll come and find you. Don't bother me unless you like large dogs very, very much. Well, more importantly, they like you.*

~ just a joke people. I only sic dogs on door to door satanists. Feel better now? That brings up another point...I've never had satanists come by my house unannounced! Point for them!

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/4/09 4:44 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: Well, when YOU or YOUR are in all caps, it denotes different things in the bible. "YOU" in all caps means that the pronoun is in the plural number. Also, where the plural number of a verb is not apparent to the reader, its plurality is indicated by printing it capitalized.
DrBoost, thanx for explaining that clearly. Your explanation was much more consice than the one that I would have given. The text that I posted was ripped directly from an online source and I didn't change any caps or puntuation. It was exactly as I sourced it.

My understanding was that it meant something different when the first letter was capitalized "You" not "YOU". This is most often done to indicate weight in nouns, like capitalizing "Truth" or "People".

I'm not sure what you mean by the plurality of verbs being capitalized. Verbs have tense, not number. Nouns have number.

Looked more like the capitalization was trying to add emphasis. It just looked goofy and made it really tough to read. Italics are a lot better for adding emphasis in text. When you can't do italics, you generally use asterisks to frame text you want to highlight.

Also, your passage was tough to understand because it was completely out of context. Is that passage supposed to be Jesus addressing a particular group? Presuming so, what was the context of the address? Was that an address telling people to proselytize?

Wally
Wally SuperDork
1/4/09 4:47 p.m.

I'd rather have a conga line of JWs and Mormons in my driveway than grammer/punctuation ect. police on high alert

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/4/09 4:49 p.m.
Wally wrote: I'd rather have a conga line of JWs and Mormons in my driveway than grammer/punctuation ect. police on high alert

Yeah, but the last thing the JWs expect is to have you critique their grammar!

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
1/4/09 7:36 p.m.

JG, I think you were lot further away than --><-- this. I wish i could have seen the wife's face, I bet it was priceless.

I do my damndest not to judge the religious beliefs of others, honestly it's none of my business. I have listened respectfully to more than one whose beliefs did not tally with my atheistic tendencies and I have also done my damndest to decline proseletyzing in a non-rude or nasty manner. After all, what's the point?

I did, however, make an exception for a JW one afternoon many years back. Doorbell rings, it's two JW's. Okay, BTDT. The screen door and the main door are both open. I listen nicely for a short while, then say 'Sorry, not interested' and started to close the door. I guess there was a quota or something because one of these idiots STUCK HIS FOOT INSIDE THE MAIN DOOR SO I COULD NOT CLOSE IT. Oh HELL no. So I reared back and slammed the door as hard as I could, I think I broke the poor guy's foot. I yanked it back open, the foot disappeared along with the two JW's. Maybe that's in the manual now, I dunno.

P71
P71 HalfDork
1/4/09 8:06 p.m.

There is nothing more entertaining then watching the bible-thumpers squirm as they try to convert me while I'm wrenching in the open garage with Tenacious D's "berkeley Her Softly" blaring at 11 on the garage radio...

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair Dork
1/4/09 8:24 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: JG----- I love your wife

coincidence that Joe Gearin's initials are JG?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair Dork
1/4/09 8:30 p.m.
Salanis wrote: I'm not sure what you mean by the plurality of verbs being capitalized. Verbs have tense, not number. Nouns have number.

verbs do indeed have number, and that number matches the corresponding noun.

example, third person singular pronoun is "he" or "she". third person plural pronoun is "they".

consider the conjugation of the verb "to go" with the above pronouns.

He goes.

They go.

i rest my case.

Wally
Wally SuperDork
1/4/09 8:31 p.m.

Yugo?

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
1/4/09 8:31 p.m.

Honestly, I try to be as cool with them as I can. In this case, I was just bumbling in the garage, and they were pretty cool, so I had no problem chatting for a minute. I made it clear that I had my line of thought and I respected theirs and that it was nice to see someone who believed in something strongly enough to be compelled to share it with others. I mean, I love the hell out of the Target house brand Five Pepper Salsa. The stuff must have fallen from space on a delicious, peppery asteroid. I REALLY love it.

But these folks are into their deal so much that they don't just make the yummy sounds when it goes down, or the sad sounds when they realize that the chip fragments that are left in the bag could no longer support a suitable amount of salsa, they go out and tell EVERYONE about their deal. And they don't just tell them and say "I'm totally pumped about this and it's awesome and SCREW YOU YOU CAN"T HAVE IT MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE!"

No, they tell everyone how great it is, then before they even pull credit references, they're offering you the same deal.

And while I'm certainly not inclined to take their deal based on my own personal current deal (well, I don't really have much of a "deal" per se. I suppose if you looked up some of the writings of John Scotus Eriugena there might be a comparison to his line of thought and mine. Although, he seems to believe in things in s somewhat literal sense, why I tend to be more metaphoric.

Anyhoo, they were nice and didn't try to hardsell us a Jebus. We had a pleasant conversation for a few minutes about folks that turn them away and folks that let them give their speil just to shoot it down. The lady actually said "The best of us [meaning the best of the folks they had going door to door] were just there to get the resident to question their existence in a world beyond objective reality. And depending on the answer to the question, here's a pamphlet that may help you to better undertake this mental exercise again"

That's a pretty noble effort, I think. Way more noble than selling carpet cleaning services or hawking a security system by implying that my house could be broken into THAT VERY NIGHT. That guy really pissed me off.

But, back to the Jehovas. If they're cool, they get to state their case, and maybe even a little respectful back and forth. If not, I just bring Dana out and she goes craphouse on them.

Also, it would be really polite if the JWs stopped by the Post Office for the neighborhood they were heading to and brought everyone's mail. That would save a ton of work.

jg

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
1/4/09 8:48 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
Salanis wrote: I'm not sure what you mean by the plurality of verbs being capitalized. Verbs have tense, not number. Nouns have number.
verbs do indeed have number, and that number matches the corresponding noun. ... i rest my case.

Engineering 1 -- Liberal Arts 0

Resume your thread about proselytizers. /hijack

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Reader
1/4/09 10:22 p.m.
Salanis wrote: Also, your passage was tough to understand because it was completely out of context. Is that passage supposed to be Jesus addressing a particular group? Presuming so, what was the context of the address? Was that an address telling people to proselytize?

The passages that I cited had to do with Christians being in expectation of persecution for following Jesus' teachings becasause he told them to expect it himself. This was completly incontext with the fact that I was making reference to the things that some people do to JWs while in thier ministry. "Trying to freak them out" is what I said, (other posters mentioned faux voodoo rituals, acts suggesting satanism and threatend law suits; sounds like amature persecution to me), sorry if there was something unclear about that.

The verses cited by DrBoost were, however, refering to proselytizing as something Jesus instructed his followers to do.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/4/09 10:35 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: The passages that I cited had to do with Christians being in expectation of persecution for following Jesus' teachings becasause he told them to expect it himself. This was completly incontext with the fact that I was making reference to the things that some people do to JWs while in thier ministry. "Trying to freak them out" is what I said, (other posters mentioned faux voodoo rituals, acts suggesting satanism and threatend law suits; sounds like amature persecution to me), sorry if there was something unclear about that. The verses cited by DrBoost were, however, refering to proselytizing as something Jesus instructed his followers to do.

I think it would be safer just to say "They've heard/seen it all before."

Except for the whole nit picking their grammar. They'll never see that one coming.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Reader
1/4/09 10:36 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: Also, it would be really polite if the JWs stopped by the Post Office for the neighborhood they were heading to and brought everyone's mail. That would save a ton of work. jg

They would probably be willing, but the gubbement would be opposed, not so much because of the separation of church and state stuff, but because it would increase efficiency far beyond gov't tolerences.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
1/4/09 10:51 p.m.

It is definitely true that there is no reason to be a complete a-hole to them, if nothing else because they are usually the nicest people that will come to your door and try to sell you something. But of course they are coming to your door trying to sell you something (I really doesn't matter how they justify it), so you do have some call to be a less then enthused.

I generally try to keep them as short as possible, still not happy about it though.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Reader
1/4/09 10:53 p.m.
Salanis wrote: Except for the whole nit picking their grammar. They'll never see that one coming.

'No one expects the grammatical inquisition!"

Opus
Opus HalfDork
1/5/09 12:13 a.m.
Salanis wrote: It's more of Mormon country around here. I grew up with tons of friends who were Mormon. It gives me a nice an polite excuse: "I had tons of Mormon friends growing up. You're not going to tell me anything I haven't heard a hundred times already."

I had an owner rep who was Mormon. When he got to know me a little, I told him that there were 2 things I would not discuss at work with anyone. Religion and Politics. After the 3rd time he tried to talk to me about how great being Mormon was, My super and I had a contest to see how many times in a month we could make him cuss. I won for making him cuss because he cussed.

If he had respected my choice not to be Mormon, I would not have pushed him as I did.

As far as anyone that comes to my door, I let them know that I am not interested. If they continue to push the issue, I will say no thank you one last time and close the door.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2OidEGRu2KMDF2Uyem6CaL3mI1vTFtweC0fYXENXY2XhXq1Ws94hQhxbLr6zlQE4