1 2 3
914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
1/11/12 5:51 a.m.

I don't care for political threads because some folks are just rediculously emotional, but if you haven't a clue take this test.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/candidate-match-game

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/11/12 6:07 a.m.

Thanks. Very informative. I like that it ranks your top three....I just wish you could then look at a detailed description of how the tool works (i.e. "You chose X, this is how why we said candidate Y is the best match for that people who chose X")

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
1/11/12 6:07 a.m.

I'll concur accuracy. It gave me Hunstman, followed by Gingrich.

Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
1/11/12 6:23 a.m.

Ron Paul followed by Perry and Gingrich. Too bad the politicians lied when they answered the same questions. Whatever their stated stance, they are just telling you what they think will get them elected.

Still don't like any of them. I'll be voting for the lesser of the evils again and probably end up with four more years of the O.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
1/11/12 6:25 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Ron Paul followed by Perry and Gingrich. Too bad the politicians lied when they answered the same questions. Whatever their stated stance, they are just telling you what they think will get them elected. Still don't like any of them. I'll be voting for the lesser of the evils again and probably end up with four more years of the O.

O no!

Luke
Luke SuperDork
1/11/12 6:28 a.m.

I don't follow US politics religiously, but I do love online match-em-up quizzes. Apparently I'd be voting for Ron Paul.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
1/11/12 6:34 a.m.

Results = Huntsman, then Romney, then Paul.

Reality = I like Huntsman and Paul. Will likely vote Paul just because it's the closest thing to a "throw all the berkeleyers out" vote. I can't see myself voting for Romney at all.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
1/11/12 8:56 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: Results = Huntsman, then Romney, then Paul. Reality = I like Huntsman and Paul. Will likely vote Paul just because it's the closest thing to a "throw all the berkeleyers out" vote. I can't see myself voting for Romney at all.

It seems we think alike.

I'm more likely to vote for O than Romney. Or I'll just write in Paul like I did last time or maybe "none of the above"

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
1/11/12 9:11 a.m.

Obama and Huntsman ended up bunched together at the top for me.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
1/11/12 9:22 a.m.

Paul, Newt, Perry. I agree in the Paul, but the other two I wouldn't touch with a 10' pole.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
1/11/12 9:33 a.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: Obama and Huntsman ended up bunched together at the top for me.

I feel really sorry for you (and for the nation)

I was surprised at my results, but then again maybe I'm not. The one thing that didn't surprise me is that the All Knowing, Great and Mighty Pres. Hope was WAY below every other candidate.

Just like the one from 2008, I was a little disappointed in some of your question choices.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/11/12 9:42 a.m.

Huntsman, Romney, then.... Bachmann? Wow. Reality check: no way would I have voted for her, she's a bit too 'fringey' for me. I'd vote for Ron Paul before her. Romney is cast as a moderate, and that's probably more where I stand. Huntsman... honestly don't know much about him.

[soapbox] But the Presidential election is still all a circus. We elect a Grand Poobah to make everything right, ignoring the way our country really works, then point fingers at the Poobah when things go sour. He catches the crap while Congress trucks right along screwing us harder by the minute. [/soapbox]

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
1/11/12 9:44 a.m.

In reply to carguy123:

Those are the two most moderate candidates. Sorry I can't be more extreme for you.

I just retook it and adjusted my "importance to you" bars. It gives me Huntsman, Gingrich then Obama.

In reality, I'd vote for Huntsman, Romney or Obama, probably in that order.

failboat
failboat HalfDork
1/11/12 9:49 a.m.

Meh. Im voting for 16vCorey's band.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
1/11/12 9:50 a.m.

WOW! I just got a call from Ron Paul and after listening to him I've decided he needs to be our next President.

He needs to get our votes for all the same reasons Pres. Hope got the the last time. No real reasons other than "we'll shake them up".

Let's be honest Obam got elected because he was black not because of anything he'd ever done. Now we can elect someone way outside the norm and we'll end making the other side feel good too. Then both extremes can go home happy, they will have both had their own personal candidates.

Coincidentally I also got this email just after I talked with Ron Paul:

"I'm afraid it's true...

I am really concerned about North Korea 's appointment of the "dear leader", Kim Jung Ill 's youngest son to be the new leader of North Korea -- a nuclear power!

After all, Kim Jung Un (pronounced Kim's young-un?) had NO military experience whatsoever before daddy made him a four-star general in the military. This is a snot-nose twerp who has never accomplished anything in his life that would even come close to military leadership: he hasn't even so much as led a cub scout troop, let alone coached a sports team or commanded a military platoon. So, setting that aside, next they make him the "beloved leader" of the country. Terrific!!!

Oh, crap! I'm sorry. I just remembered that we did the same thing here, We took a community organizer who has never worn a uniform and made him Commander-in-Chief; a guy who has never led anything more than an ACORN demonstration and made him the leader of this country. Never mind."

Politics as usual! In racing they call it the Silly Season.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
1/11/12 9:51 a.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: In reply to carguy123: Those are the two most moderate candidates. Sorry I can't be more extreme for you.

Extreme? Nah, I'm a realist. We need some CHANGE & HOPE.

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
1/11/12 9:56 a.m.

Interesting, just what I have been thinking.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
1/11/12 9:57 a.m.

In reply to carguy123:

Hope is free. Change is nearly impossible.

I suspect I am the realist.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy Dork
1/11/12 10:03 a.m.

The Republicans are never getting any of my votes as long as they stay in bed with the religious right.

(edit) And all churches should have to play taxes, too.

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
1/11/12 10:06 a.m.

There was a big gap between my views and pretty much all of the candidates. Huntsman came closest for 3 answers - Makes me think the answer is none of the above.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/11/12 10:19 a.m.

I got Huntsman (score of 61.5% and 6 of 11 issues [Afghanistan, Medicare, Social Security, climate change, defense spending, experience]), Paul (score of 45.6% and 3 of 11 issues [health care, defense spending and gay marriage]) and Perry (score of 45.6% and 3 of 11 issues [Afghanistan, health care and immigration]).

I doubt very much I would vote for Perry.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
1/11/12 10:34 a.m.

Interesting. Huntsman with 57%, and Paul and Obama tied at 52%.

chaparral
chaparral Reader
1/11/12 10:41 a.m.

Obama, then Huntsman, then Paul.

I've read up on all of the candidates, and this mirrors my preferences pretty well.

That's the difficulty Republicans will have this fall - they're trying to take on a politician who's a lot like Bill Weld by trying to spray paint him to look like Josef Stalin.

Incognito Bandito
Incognito Bandito New Reader
1/11/12 10:47 a.m.

In reply to carguy123:

Are you letting Bush off? He was UA for a good measure of his military contract. That's way worse than simply not having served. Try that stunt with a regular dad. He doesn't get extra points for his father being a badass American.

Other civillian presidents-
• John Quincy Adams
• Martin Van Buren
• Grover Cleveland
• William Taft
• Woodrow Wilson
• Warren Harding
• Calvin Coolidge
• Herbert Hoover
• Franklin Roosevelt
• Bill Clinton

I'd rather have a president with no military experience who can admit it than a guy who says he has military experience because he's from a military family (like Newt Gingrich) Perry served, but he has zero chance of earning my vote. Ron Paul is a veteran with a real record of service.

I hate agreeing with you after the amount of BS in your post, but Ron will be my pick this time also, whether as a repulican, libertarian, independent or write-in.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
1/11/12 10:48 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: I can't see myself voting for Romney at all.

So it it's Obama vs Romney you're doing Obama?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xzX5fpD6kPHgXIplIROkBbE4h2d0cztXREW9vSBNOh8hYP1xNzXREatwvNbZO737