1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/10/24 12:26 p.m.

I was out of internet range for a few days.  Came back and found that another thread got locked in my absence, and while it was a hair-trigger case, it got me to thinking "why are some of us calm, rational, intelligent people while others of us are violent, impulsive morons?"  That's greatly exaggerated, or course, but none can deny that so many of the petty disagreements on here could be avoided with a little civility and humility.  Why do some of us choose to dig in our heels and argue endlessly over a fairly trivial matter?

If we look (as we should) to the bible:

Matthew 5:38-40

Amplified Bible

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth [punishment that fits the offense].’ 39 But I say to you, do not resist an evil person [who insults you or violates your rights]; but whoever [a]slaps you on the right cheek, turn the other toward him also [simply ignore insignificant insults or trivial losses and do not bother to retaliate—maintain your dignity, your self-respect, your poise]. 40 If anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, [b]let him have your coat also [for the Lord repays the offender].

Shadeux
Shadeux SuperDork
4/10/24 12:30 p.m.

IBTL

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/10/24 12:31 p.m.

Going straight to religion in an attempt to avoid divisiveness :)

ralleah
ralleah PowerDork
4/10/24 12:37 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/10/24 12:46 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Are you saying the quoted verse does not describe a sound solution to the matter of petty argument?  I felt it appropriate.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
4/10/24 12:50 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Are you saying the quoted verse does not describe a sound solution to the matter of petty argument?  I felt it appropriate.

When quoting the bible, to certain people it doesn't matter how sound the solution is, the source of the solution is a source of divisiveness.

I have my own issues with the Bible, but a stopped watch can be correct twice a day.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/10/24 12:51 p.m.

In reply to ralleah :

I would never choose to attack anyone on the basis of their religion or lack thereof.  Would you extend to me the same consideration?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/10/24 12:56 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Religion has been the source of more wars that anything else over the years. I have no problem with the verse, it's a good sentiment. But religion is far more likely to cause conflict than prevent it, which is why I thought it was amusing.

Implying that the bible is the only text worth consulting is asking for trouble, though. 

If we look (as we should) to the bible:

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
1988RedT2 said:

In reply to ralleah :

I would never choose to attack anyone on the basis of their religion or lack thereof.  Would you extend to me the same consideration?

That was in no way an attack.  At least from where I'm sitting.

ralleah
ralleah PowerDork

How some folks use the bible and religion as a weapon against myself and others I have things in common with, is a lot more than mere divisiveness.

please note, I am actually a person of deep faith, I wouldn't be alive still if I weren't.

if you're not willing to acknowledge that pushing your religion here ("If we look (as we should) to the bible:") is wildly inappropriate, I don't see how we could have a genuine discussion about divisiveness. 

ralleah
ralleah PowerDork
4/10/24 12:57 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

In reply to ralleah :

your religion isn't just you, and acting as if many others of the same belief aren't actively attacking me for existing, is disingenuous at best.

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
4/10/24 1:05 p.m.

Well, this thread was certainly titled correctly.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/10/24 1:09 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

This.

I was willing to read on, despite the biblical reference, until I read this:

Red1988T2 said:

(as we should)

Making assumptions and assertions like that about others leads to a lot of divisiveness.

Using the Bible (or other religious text of any flavor) as a point of reference in a discussion?  Not a problem at all.

Marking the Bible (or other religious text of any flavor) as an authority that everyone should defer to?  Serious problem.

[edit]  I see Keith has it covered already.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/10/24 1:11 p.m.

The important thing about divisiveness is that you know that if you divide pi by 8, you get some rather nice portions of pizza.

Or V = NrT/P

Or C.R. = total volume/(total volume - swept volume).

Important divisiveness for this group.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
4/10/24 1:11 p.m.

Well, this one is sideways enough that it doesn't need any help from me.

JUM🅱️O on X: "Until next time folks! https://t.co/hUi9fpr4JH" / X

Beer Baron 🍺
Beer Baron 🍺 MegaDork
4/10/24 1:13 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Because all of us misstep.

When most people get called out on their missteps, they react by being defensive and doubling-down rather than by saying, "Oops. My bad. Let me rephrase that so it's more productive."

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
4/10/24 1:13 p.m.
ralleah said:
Keith Tanner said:

yeah.... please keep your christianity to yourself.

Disappointed in you guys that you are down voting this post.  It was hidden until a second ago.

iansane
iansane SuperDork
4/10/24 1:15 p.m.

Some people just have to put a word in.

Half the time I write a post I will finish it, think for a second that my opinion isn't improving anything or even contributing functionally and I decide to not post.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/10/24 1:15 p.m.
ralleah said:
Keith Tanner said:

yeah.... please keep your christianity to yourself.

in general, not required.  on this forum, required.

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
UR3l8AoOKmrmkOQU1ePM6vVJzYmmMK4kTQBlNSJvriCsDjc6FGvKMjv1ZjfyCGXh