6 7 8 9
DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
4/19/24 6:38 p.m.

In reply to pheller :

Fallout is inspired by the first Wasteland game.

I have played through 1 and 2 a fair number of times (if you like Xcom I strongly recommend Tactics) I never beat 2, always got caught up in sidequests and exploring with the Highwayman. Beat 1 numerous times. 

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
4/19/24 6:39 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

Steam and Epic game store has digital copies. There was a triple pack of 1, 2, and Tactics on a single Disc I bought ages ago as well.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/19/24 6:42 p.m.

In reply to pheller :

I didn't really do computer games back then because, well computers were thousands and we didn't have a need for one. Friends got me hooked on fo3 and NV on PS3. They lacked mods like 4 has available even on consoles. 

Have been tempted lately to get fo3 and nv and play them off the laptop. 

Beer Baron 🍺
Beer Baron 🍺 MegaDork
4/19/24 6:47 p.m.

Yup. I played Fallout 1 and 2 long before the 3d days. All the way through. Multiple times. Pretty much always did a talky sniper build. In Fallout 1, I figured out some great cheese tactics: don't tag energy weapons but buff it as points are available, then take the 'Tag!' perk and watch it jump through the roof. Also 'Quick Pockets' is unexpectedly OP. For the cost of reloading one weapon, you can reload both guns and use as many stim packs as you want.

They remain some of my favorite games, and ones that I will replay even today. New Vegas carried on their spirit in a way the other 3d games did not. Not surprising, since it was created by Black Isle.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to pheller :

Can you even get those now? I haven't seen any of these games for sale, except for some at collectors prices on e-bay.

Both are available on GoG. Currently 75% off. Only $2.50 each.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
4/19/24 6:55 p.m.

In reply to DjGreggieP :

I forgot about the link between Wasteland and Fallout. Reading the plot of the former certainly sounds familiar! Good stuff. Did you ever play Wasteland 2/3?

I sorta remember a little of Fallout Tactics. Like maybe I played a demo? I think by the time it was released I was getting more into FPS games, especially those with multiplayer support. 

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
4/19/24 6:57 p.m.

Any other Fallout 1 players ever setup a trade route with the Water caravan to buy extra time to find the waterchip?

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/19/24 7:01 p.m.

I'm not a gamer, and I think that Fallout is first rate, just as Halo sucks. I was kinda worried that they were using the same tired ironic 50s references that's been done to death. But the director and designer know when to stop. Two thumbs up.

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/19/24 8:00 p.m.

I started out with a pirated CD of Fallout 2 while on a peacekeeping mission in the Balkans, January or February 1999.

There were always kiosks set up by locals wherever the military went, where you could buy the latest music or software. Here's the pirate copy and the genuine one I bought later, still have it:

I played through FO2 many times in many ways. It was pretty fun to go through with very unbalanced stats, like 1 INT. Always kept Dogmeat with me until heading to the Enclave base.

I've played all the others since then for many hours as well except for '76. Love using artillery in FO4.

Edit: Off-topic pic from early 1999, what was going on when I wasn't gaming:

Beer Baron 🍺
Beer Baron 🍺 MegaDork
4/21/24 5:42 p.m.

Finished it today. Wife and I both enjoyed it. Me having played lots of Fallout and her knowing nothing ahead of time.

I'd call it Good or Very Good. B+ or A-. We're both looking forward to Season 2.

My biggest critique is the humor at times doesn't really mesh with the rest of the tone. It often got very sophomoric improv bit sketch. Cameos with actors playing their usual character in a very winking-at-the camera way. There was some good humor that was grounded very well in the setting and characters. Like Lucy talking happily and frankly about sex, or the Brotherhood's free disposition around squires...

Beyond that, the story and characters were good. I thought the ending tied things up well.

Makes me want to play more Fallout...

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
4/21/24 9:55 p.m.

Just finished it (was trying not to binge and spread it out an episode a day).

For not having any knowledge of the games, I loved it. The final episode seemed to bring a lot together at once. It was worth reading the Wikipedia pages for this non-gamer.

Season 2? Okie Dokie!

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/22/24 5:11 p.m.

I just bought the series (again) for PC on Steam so I could replay FO and FO2 on multiple PCs without dealing with a CD and add FO76. $25 offer is good for a few days. It was back to full price on Steam, but Fanatical has the sale still. Also on GOG if you don't do Steam.  https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/fallout-bundle?  Am I canoeing by posting that link???

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
5/6/24 10:05 p.m.

Well, it's weeks on. The show is a success by almost every metric. Playership is up on almost every platform.

I still have strong opinions about the show, specifically the Brotherhood, who doesn't even make sense in the vacuum of the show let alone the full canon lore of the universe. but I digress...

The show is mostly good.

Bethesda, right on the heels of this massive success, well needed given the abysmal state of their new IP Starfield, has decided to squander any good will they  have earned by releasing a "Next Gen" update that breaks mods, corrupts saves and all but makes the game unplayable.

But at least it shoves the Enclave in where it doesn't belong.

So to all you new fans...Welcome to Bethesda.

Beer Baron 🍺
Beer Baron 🍺 MegaDork
5/7/24 2:05 p.m.
AClockworkGarage said:

I still have strong opinions about the show, specifically the Brotherhood, who doesn't even make sense in the vacuum of the show let alone the full anon lore of the universe. but I digress...

How do you figure?

The way I interpreted them in the show is... the Brotherhood of Steel has clearly splintered and fractured. It is now really a religious organization that different "chapters" are more like religious sects or cults. Each has interpreted their mandate differently over time, most likely shaped by the personalities of individual charismatic leaders.

The sect we see does not represent the BoS as a whole, because it isn't whole. It represents just one sect.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/7/24 2:18 p.m.

In reply to AClockworkGarage :

Update is fine for me. Haven't lost any saves etc. I've been playing 4 for several years now consistently, some with mods some without. Hasn't broken anything for me. 

As for the BoS, Beer Baron is correct IMO. We saw in NV that the BoS has been fragmented into factions/groups for decades. Even in 3 there were issues. 

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
5/7/24 11:53 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

These are images I've found online but I've run into all three of these, as well as a flickering brightness issue. Any save I had mods on is corrupted. It's a pretty poor showing.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/8/24 9:32 a.m.

In reply to AClockworkGarage :

PC or console? I've played about 10 hours since the updates and haven't seen any of these on my PS4. 

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
5/12/24 4:19 p.m.

If you wanna watch something a little similar to Fallout, basically a retro futuristic vibe , try Ascension.

Beyond the vide it's not super similar but it is a good series

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
5/12/24 4:57 p.m.

I've had some of the weird glowing due to missing textures/models, but the big killer for me in the update (on XBox Series X) is that VATS is about useless.  I am hoping tomorrow's update fixes it, because I'm at a boss fight that would be helped significantly if it works.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/12/24 8:30 p.m.

Just finished the series. Im happy with how it was done!

calteg
calteg SuperDork
5/13/24 3:44 p.m.

Dangit, got sucked into FO4 again. Trying to figure out my next play through. 

Already beaten the game with melee, sneaky sniper, pistol builds, as well as on survival mode. 

Was really excited for FO:London but who knows when that gets released now...

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
5/13/24 4:14 p.m.

In reply to calteg :

I've got two play-throughs going right now. One is a high charisma (CHR 12 base + items) build that is a water baron. I'm building a full size settlement at every location.

The other is a true nude run. No weapons, no armour, no chems, no items of any kind. 

If you're looking for inspiration for FO4, check out the fudgemuppet YouTube channel. They did tons of character builds.

Welp, after watching the first season, I also got suckered into FO4 again. I bought it ages ago (2015?) on Steam and have about 200 hours in it. I just had the base game and Far Harbor. I wanted to get all the other DLCs but I didn't want to pay like $10 for each.

I found that CDKeys.com has the FO4 Game Of The Year Edition for $8.59. This includes the base game plus Automatron, Wasteland Workshop, Far Harbor, Contraptions Workshop, Vault-Tec Workshop and Nuka-World DLCs. It's a great deal IMHO.

https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/fallout-4-game-of-the-year-edition-pc-steam-cd-key

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
5/14/24 9:15 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

I've had some of the weird glowing due to missing textures/models, but the big killer for me in the update (on XBox Series X) is that VATS is about useless.  I am hoping tomorrow's update fixes it, because I'm at a boss fight that would be helped significantly if it works.

VATS bug does not appear to be fixed, but I pushed through with the Spray n' Pray and copious amounts of Buffjet.  That gun is ridiculously overpowered for how early in the game you can get it.

EastsideWife is watching the series for the first time, so I'm rewatching with her.  Somehow I missed the little tribute to Army of Darkness in episode 4, originally.  The camera angles of Lucy's fight with the feral were pretty much straight out of AoD.  And Super Duper Mart/S Mart makes it even funnier.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
5/14/24 9:44 a.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

You're not missing much, unfortunately. Far Harbor is the best of the DLC by a wide margin. Automatron is fairly short and devoid of decent loot. Nuka World is worth the $$$, but the unskippable first boss can sometimes glitch out.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
5/15/24 12:39 a.m.

Automation is pretty short, introduces a new raider faction to harass you, and gives you the ability to create robots from scratch which you can then use as companions or assign to your various settlements. So that's neat.

Pretty much the only reason I ever complete it is to get the Tesla T-60 pieces.

Nuka world is pretty cool too. a fairly big area to play around in, the coolest raider power armour In the game and three new raider factions. Two of them aren't lame.

The biggest problem with NW is the "good" ending bypasses all of the DLCs story and the "Bad" ending messes up your commonwealth settlements.

Big plusses for NW, it's one of the few ways to get Garvey to leave you alone, and it's the easiest way to get the benevolent leader achievement.

The Vault-Tec Workshop adds a massive underground cave network that you can build your own vault in. There is some story to it but it is basically settlement building. If you're into that like I am then it's great. It adds a tonof new settlement items. 

If you're not, then it's quite skipable.

6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1vrPle6hYwFCWQbDgRn0FUGPZ5l2WybOyVUUnsakhmFizfaaAZjZ6D8xD67iwQ5I