chandler
chandler MegaDork
11/2/23 6:56 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

When people bring up vintage paint schemes it's usually Martini or the seriously overdone Gulf colors. Few people mention Rothmans, and no one talks about Chevy vans. I have learned that this was a thing, and that Chevys were somewhat popular Rally support vehicles in Europe. 

This link is for you; two Chevy vans even - though one is stateside.

Support Vehicles

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/3/23 9:26 a.m.

TIL that JJ Cale wrote Skynyrd's Call Me The Breeze.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/3/23 10:29 a.m.

When people bring up vintage paint schemes it's usually Martini... 

I have, admittedly, thought about applying the Martini paint scheme to my MR2 Spyder, because in the three months I've had it, I've already had multiple people think it's a Porsche and it seems really funny to run with that idea.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/4/23 8:35 a.m.
NickD said:

When people bring up vintage paint schemes it's usually Martini... 

I have, admittedly, thought about applying the Martini paint scheme to my MR2 Spyder, because in the three months I've had it, I've already had multiple people think it's a Porsche and it seems really funny to run with that idea.

Porsche?

P3PPY
P3PPY SuperDork
11/4/23 9:24 a.m.
chandler said:

When people bring up vintage paint schemes it's usually Martini or the seriously overdone Gulf colors. Few people mention Rothmans, and no one talks about Chevy vans. I have learned that this was a thing, and that Chevys were somewhat popular Rally support vehicles in Europe. 

This link is for you; two Chevy vans even - though one is stateside.

Support Vehicles

What is that van on the right? Not quite a Ford

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
11/4/23 9:56 a.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

FIAT Ducato. and for the Chevy guys, who else would provide vans for the factory Opel team cars???Everyone had gotten some bucks from Martini over the years. So here we have photos of Ford, Chevy, and Lancia in Martini. The FIAT Ducato is probably Alitalia given the Fords are Rothmans. In the same period the Talbot/Sunbeam teams used Dodge vans. 

TAParker
TAParker Reader
11/4/23 9:58 a.m.

Today I learned, that you need to have regular sit down visits with your employees, 1 on 1. I have a service advisor whose performance has been "slipping" for several weeks. Without going into personal details, I discovered he had some issues with his choice in a career path. I had no idea. I thought because he was young and a bit immature, that he was just "goofing off" and not taking care of business. Shame on me. What I thought might be a short "come to Jesus" meeting was a real check up on myself as well. I have scheduled a follow up meeting with this young man in 10 days. I will also meet with every single one of my 14 employees to get a better insight to their needs, goals, aspirations and general well being. How could I have become so disconnected? It won't happen again!

chandler
chandler MegaDork
11/4/23 4:37 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to P3PPY :

FIAT Ducato. and for the Chevy guys, who else would provide vans for the factory Opel team cars???Everyone had gotten some bucks from Martini over the years. So here we have photos of Ford, Chevy, and Lancia in Martini. The FIAT Ducato is probably Alitalia given the Fords are Rothmans. In the same period the Talbot/Sunbeam teams used Dodge vans. 

Somewhere in the link I posted is a 15 passenger dodge van as a support vehicle for something. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
11/4/23 9:34 p.m.

TIL that Vavoom was Inuit. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/5/23 8:29 a.m.

In reply to TAParker :

I'd consider that a win. Most people won't accept what you have accepted, and refuse to even think about changing.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
11/5/23 8:54 a.m.

TIL the interesting origin of Kingsford charcoal, a product I have used many times. 

Ford Motor Company sold more than one million Ford Model Ts in 1919. Each one used 100 board feet of wood for parts such as frame, dashboard, steering wheel and wheels. Because of the amount of wood used, Henry Forddecided to produce his own supply. He enlisted the help of Edward G. Kingsford, a real estate agent in Michigan, to locate a supply of wood. Kingsford’s wife was a cousin of Ford.[2] In the early 1920s, Ford acquired large timberland in Iron Mountain, Michigan, and built a sawmill and parts plant in a neighboring area which became Kingsford, Michigan. The mill and plants produced sufficient parts for the car, but generated waste such as stumps, branches and sawdust. Ford suggested that all wood scraps be processed into charcoal.[3]

University of Oregon chemist, Orin Stafford, had invented a method for making pillow-shaped lumps of fuel from sawdust and mill waste combined with tar and bound together with cornstarch. He called the lumps "charcoal briquettes."[4] Thomas Edison designed the briquette factory adjacent to the sawmill, and Kingsford ran it. It was a model of efficiency, producing 610 lb (280 kg) of briquettes for every ton of scrap wood. The product was sold only through Ford dealerships. Ford named the new business Ford Charcoal and dubbed the charcoal blocks "briquets". At the beginning, the charcoal was sold to meat and fish smokehouses, but demand exceeded supply.[5]

By the mid-1930s, Ford was marketing "Picnic Kits" containing charcoal and portable grills at Ford dealerships, capitalizing on the link between motoring and outdoor adventure that his own Vagabond travels popularized. "Enjoy a modern picnic," the package suggested. "Sizzling broiled meats, steaming coffee, toasted sandwiches." It wasn’t until after World War II that backyard barbecuing took off, thanks to suburban migration, the invention of the Weber grill and the marketing efforts. An investment group bought Ford Charcoal in 1951 and renamed it to Kingsford Charcoal in honor of Edward G. Kingsford (and the factory's home-base name) and took over the operations. The plant was later acquired by Clorox in 1973.[6]

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/6/23 7:43 a.m.

My friend's daughter is in the 2nd year of a microbiology scholarship and has always been into sports.  She decided to give body building a try, hard work and dedication is right up her alley.  Reward was 2nd at a Regional event.  She is second from right.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/12/23 8:20 a.m.

In reply to chandler :

I expected the GM teams to use Bedfords, but Chevys are a better choice. I know a few American trucks make it over there but it's still always surprising to find out about them. 

Thanks for sharing that site and feeding another of my quirky interests. I could read about that for far too long. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
11/12/23 8:28 a.m.

In reply to TAParker :

If you're like the rest of us you've got a bunch of other things going on to and focus on what's the biggest problem at that time overlook lesser issues. It's not something to beat yourself up over too much. You recognized an issue instead of dismissing them as lazy which is more than most people bother doing, and you plan to change things. That's pretty much unheard of lately.  

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
11/12/23 9:58 a.m.

Wally, part of the Chevy thing is that the Opels are German, and GM never marketed Bedford beyond the British Empire. As time progressed they moved most of the Bedford designs onto Chevy platforms as well. Swap the rectangular headlamps for 7" rounds and a Bedford becomes a Chevy for quite a few years. I don't know what the Bedfords had for power, but I bet it was small.   

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
11/12/23 12:26 p.m.

TIL about The great stork derby

Buddy sounds like my kind of guy 

The race was the product of a scheme by Charles Vance Millar (1853–1926), a Toronto lawyer, financier, and practical joker, who bequeathed the residue of his significant estate to the woman in Toronto who could produce the most children in the decade following his death.[2]

It is one of many unusual bequests in his will, along with giving a vacation home in Jamaica to a group of three men who detested each other under the condition that they live in the estate together indefinitely, brewery stocks to a group of prominent teetotalProtestant ministers if they participated in its operations and collected its dividends, and jockey club stocks to a group of anti-horse-racing advocates.

RichardNZ
RichardNZ HalfDork
11/12/23 6:22 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

The Bedford vans of that era were 'CF's, a good design that lasted for quite a while. Original motor was a 2.3 litre SOHC slant four that performed vastly better the the equivalent Transits. There was a DOHC version that came later used in the DTV Chevettes and assorted race cars.

Rumour at the time was that the four was half of a proposed V8 for use in the big Vauxhall sedans and potential by the Aussies in place of their 253 and 308's.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
11/13/23 10:06 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

For some reason I assumed the Bedford vans were sold across Europe, GM really made some very small niche vehicles.  They looked like Chevy vans but for some reason I thought they were smaller, like 7/8ths scale.  

In reply to RichardNZ :

This is one of the reasons I love this group. No matter how odd one of my interests is, someone here will have more information on it. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
11/13/23 1:31 p.m.

And I thank Richard, who confirmed my suspicions. The smallest thing a US produced Chevy got was the "HiThrift"6 which was over 3 liters.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/13/23 1:32 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Was that the 194?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
11/13/23 1:41 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Yes. I think it was short wheelbase only.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UberDork
11/19/23 7:52 p.m.

I'm on day number three of being off from work for ten days for the Thanksgiving holiday and I decided to take a walk down memory lane by visiting the Pick Your Part in Sun Valley, CA (near Burbank).

I've been there many, many times during the late 80's / early 90's as a starving grad student scrounging parts in an effort to be able to keep getting to class and work on the very few dollars I had available.

TIL that it's far more common now for ladies to be wrenching and pulling parts...back in the 80's / 90's, half the time I wouldn't see one lady on the lot ...today, about 15% to 20% of the wrenchers are ladies; awesome!!!

Also, late model European cars (both high end and average) are wildly over represented relative to their percentages on the road...rows after rows of newer BMW's and VW's and Volvo's, etc. that aren't totaled and have decent paint and interiors are just piled up.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/20/23 7:50 a.m.

TIL my credit score s 846, I never asked before.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/20/23 8:05 a.m.

TIL George Foreman collected cars and now he's auctioning off 50 of them; including this VW bus that he's owned  for 33 years that has only 555 miles on it.

P3PPY
P3PPY SuperDork
11/20/23 9:14 a.m.
914Driver said:

TIL George Foreman collected cars and now he's auctioning off 50 of them; including this VW bus that he's owned  for 33 years that has only 555 miles on it.

<strike>Pretty good taste in cars, too.</strike> Tastes comparable to my own!

He likes ragtops, that's clear. I see a first gen Viper, WS6, that Ford GT is always hot, an early Corvette, and I really want to drive a Z8 just to see the diff between that and my Z4. It's cool how he also has a couple normal cars, like a convertible Cutlass Supreme. I always liked those and it's cool that someone with obvious money wasn't "too good" for any kind of car. Funny that he has a matching New Beetle and Prowler. I've always wanted my own limo, too. And only one Bentley/Rolls, that I see

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9AVTeq7CxklOPSBPBsx9msi93GSkAGhb2xjinsRswbNIjTzcLzCZ8pJr3tUYITZ5