Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/10/24 3:09 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:
1988RedT2 said:

TIL that Royal Purple motor oil is actually purple.  I mean I never bought it before, and I just figured it was a brand name and a purple bottle.

So, as long as we're talking about Royal Purple, does it measure up to the hype?  Is it worth the price? 

And how long has O'Reilly's been carrying it?

It works well.  However, I prefer redline.  Which is green.  

Lol wut?  Yep.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/10/24 7:03 p.m.
Peabody said:
wvumtnbkr said:
1988RedT2 said:

TIL that Royal Purple motor oil is actually purple.  I mean I never bought it before, and I just figured it was a brand name and a purple bottle.

So, as long as we're talking about Royal Purple, does it measure up to the hype?  Is it worth the price? 

Lol wut?  Yep.

The Shockproof gear oil is either a slightly darker shade of Pepto-Bismol, or light green, or bright blue.  Never tried their oil.  The red stuff turns light purple when it is worn out and due for a change, the other weights don't seem to change color as much.  

I am not a fan of Royal Purple gear oil, it seems to be a lot thinner than its rating.  I have used it per customer request and had gear rattle as a result.  Switch to Lucas* and the noises go away.

* Why Lucas?  Because the old drag racers love it, and it is a decent product.  If it works, why question it?

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/10/24 7:05 p.m.

I like Redline suspension fluid because you can custom mix pretty much any viscosity you're going to need, and nobody else sells anything as low as 4 cSt, which I tend to use more often than not.

Oapfu
Oapfu Reader
6/12/24 10:27 p.m.

TIL you can buy a measuring tape marked in decimal feet.  I had never really thought about it before.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/12/24 10:44 p.m.

Til that at some point in the last decades near drought, the outlet hose from my little basement sump pump had come out of the drain I had it stuffed into.

Til, after our very wet spring, that my little basement sump pump still works.  Sadly, I discovered this by walking onto wet carpet...

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
6/12/24 11:04 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

My new sump pump ran a lot and then the weather dried up but it still is running.  The neighbor came by and mentioned their pool liner has a major leak - losing a lot of water by the day. 

Your sump pump running a lot, I ask? Yes, she says and I mention mine is too.  I learned more oddities of underground water movements.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltimaDork
6/13/24 7:43 a.m.
Peabody said:
wvumtnbkr said:
1988RedT2 said:

Lol wut?  Yep.

The redline motor oil is green....  At least the 40 and 50 wt.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
6/15/24 1:24 p.m.

The "mute" wire on modern head units will confuse the security in an 04 srt4. It will start with no gauges for 2 seconds, then die and not start at all. Disconnect the mute wire and it's happy.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/15/24 2:03 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Ghetto Anti theft device. Couple that with a stick and its virtually unstealable.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
6/15/24 10:13 p.m.

TIL that Johnny Lightning has a series for LeMons cars. 

Tom, I want them to do Challenge cars as well. 

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
6/16/24 3:52 a.m.

...that these Foxstang wheels will fit a Fiesta

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/17/24 3:57 p.m.

I knew that Hedy Lamar was more than just another pretty face, but actually scientist smart and loved tinkering.  A documentary (?) on Netflix called "Bombshell" tells the long sad story.  Mistakes made at 15 or 16 pretty much killed her career.

She invented a way to control torpedoes once they left the tube and keep the enemy from dialing into the same frequency.

Trailer:

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
6/18/24 5:55 a.m.

TIL that in Japanese the grammatical construction "(Subject) + to like + (object)" - ie "I like snow" - must be written in passive voice. Ie, "The snow is causing a state of liking in me."

Recon1342
Recon1342 UltraDork
6/18/24 8:30 a.m.

TIL that if someone started making Mopar big block (B/RB) to NP435 bellhousings, they'd probably make a killing. 

TIAL that OEM B/RB to NP435 truck bellhousings are nearly unobtanium...

E36 M3.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/18/24 2:15 p.m.

TIL that after you've wrestled for three days trying to get a transmission into a Bell Housing sniffing around for the pilot hole, STEP ON THE CLUTCH !!!

It gives you that 1/2" you need and it slips right in. 

(double entendre at your own risk)

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
6/20/24 1:00 p.m.

Been cleaning out some old video game systems I no longer feel like having around.  TWIL (This week I learned), my original NES is now worth as much or more than my PS4.  I remember when they could be bought for $5-10 at garage sales.  I should probably start looking around at garage/rummage sales for them, just in case.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/21/24 10:50 a.m.

TIL that the guy everybody thinks was killed making Mad Max is alive, well, and comfortably retired.  He was George Miller's driver when they were making Fury Road.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/21/24 6:16 p.m.

I got splashed in the face with NAPA brand "orange" coolant today.  It tasted... familiar.  Very bitter.

After the requisite lots of mouth rinsing, I realized why.

It tasted almost exactly like Malört.

Malört is probably less poisonous, but also a lot more expensive at about $80/gallon.

Later, still with the taste in my mouth, I grabbed a light green Gatorade that I bought this morning flavor unseen and was shocked to find that I had grabbed a lime cucumber flavor.

Cucumber, lime, and Malört make a nice flavor experience.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/21/24 6:20 p.m.
Duke said:

TIL that the guy everybody thinks was killed making Mad Max is alive, well, and comfortably retired.  He was George Miller's driver when they were making Fury Road.

Maybe he lived, he died, and lived again, riding eternal?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltimaDork
6/21/24 6:54 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I got splashed in the face with NAPA brand "orange" coolant today.  It tasted... familiar.  Very bitter.

After the requisite lots of mouth rinsing, I realized why.

It tasted almost exactly like Malört.

Malört is probably less poisonous, but also a lot more expensive at about $80/gallon.

Later, still with the taste in my mouth, I grabbed a light green Gatorade that I bought this morning flavor unseen and was shocked to find that I had grabbed a lime cucumber flavor.

Cucumber, lime, and Malört make a nice flavor experience.

My neighbor...  bbrrrrasssss or whatever his name is on here, bought me a mini bottle of malort because of you.

I just told him "NO".

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
6/22/24 3:13 a.m.

TIL that black garlic is awesome and actually is a good "snacking garlic"

It's crazy how good these are

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/23/24 9:08 a.m.

TIL there's a sweet spot between getting the car low enough the engine can pass over the tall grille but high enough for the engine crane legs to go under the frame.

I learned about, haven't found it, but know about it.  =~ (

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/24/24 11:08 a.m.

TIL why we can't go up the arm of the Statue of Liberty.  Black Tom incident of 1916.  WWI was on and the Germans didn't want  us stock piling ammunition, which we had stashed and headed to support England.  Germans set explosives in the yard and set a 5.something Ricter boom.  Glass was broken 2 miles away.  President Wilson didn't want to get involved so he blamed the workers, the manufacturers, the safety, everyone else to avoid war.

Debris from the 2,000,000 pounds of explosives ripped through the arm of the Statue, forever closing the arm.  More info.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/24/24 1:26 p.m.

TIL Jim Bede designed a ducted-fan road car:

I'm familiar with the little bubble-canopy version that looks like a BD-5, but I never saw this one before.

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
6/24/24 8:51 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

TIL that there is something, anything, anything at all besides Malort, that "tastes" a'tall like Malort. Thx for the warning...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JJd4wLddgkTHupOE1dXVZoirzabeNF916POZ9B0Nr80rhurNYkATafdzhN9nnZZu