Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/13/21 3:08 p.m.

A man of music and comedy, Steven will be missed.  Congratulations, Steve!  You made it where you're going

Tonight I raise a glass and I invite you to join me in celebrating Steve's life.

He was a survivor of 9/11 as he had just arrived for work in the building across the street that morning when the first plane hit.  I don't think he ever recovered and instead spent the rest of his life in seclusion with liquid medication.  I don't know any details yet, but I think the 20th anniversary on Saturday may have simply been too much for him.

I had met Steve about 4 months prior to 9/11.  He was my music mentor, an incredibly intelligent and funny man, a good husband, and a cherished friend.  We worked together for three years and he and his wife had moved to Austin about the same time we did.  The four of us each chipped in and bought a clay pot from an artist at a fair and we would take turns using it.  We would prepare a dish in it and take it to their house.  It would be left there and the next time they would prepare a dish and bring it back to our house.  I remember Friendship Pot Meals so fondly. 

Steven invented Misfit Thanksgiving.  It was for all of our friends living in Austin who couldn't make it back home for Turkey day and sometimes had 20 or more people - all friends of friends - gathered around their small table.  That's the kind of heart he had.

Stay free, Mista Steve.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
9/13/21 3:16 p.m.

I will drink some rum to honor him.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
9/13/21 4:05 p.m.

A tall G&T will be consumed in your name tonight Mista Steve!

9/13/21 4:29 p.m.

We called him Mista Steve because of a specific story.  He worked in Manhattan with banks and always used a specific Korean dry cleaner.  The two older ladies who ran the place were kind of sweet on Steve and they would always say "you look handsome mista Steve," or "you should date my daughtah mista steve."  Once he picked up his dry cleaning on Feb 14th and the ladies were particularly flirtatious and - in unison - said "Happy Valentiney Day mista Steve."

It was always a thing for us to wish each other a happy valentiney day.

9/13/21 4:30 p.m.

Me on the right, and Mista Steve.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
9/13/21 5:20 p.m.

I’m sorry for the loss of your friend Curtis, I’ll raise one for Mr.Steve too.    

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
cdowd (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/13/21 5:44 p.m.

I raise a glass to Mista Steve.  Sorry for your loss.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
9/13/21 5:44 p.m.

Sorry - survivors guilt is real.  Best wishes to the family and friends.  He was clearly a guy that is missed which in the end is all one can hope for.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pWYJb1K35RO89swNs1ypZfxc2iZW77r9uMqFqI8IRedxVQenv3DvcEfeYAYaVQ4M