1 2
Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit UltraDork
2/1/13 10:14 a.m.

The Thrill of Flying the SR-71 Blackbird

I especially liked this part:

"One day, high above Arizona , we were monitoring the radio traffic of all the mortal airplanes below us. First, a Cessna pilot asked the air traffic controllers to check his ground speed. 'Ninety knots,' ATC replied. A twin Bonanza soon made the same request. 'One-twenty on the ground,' was the reply. To our surprise, a navy F-18 came over the radio with a ground speed check. I knew exactly what he was doing. Of course, he had a ground speed indicator in his cockpit, but he wanted to let all the bug-smashers in the valley know what real speed was 'Dusty 52, we show you at 620 on the ground,' ATC responded. The situation was too ripe. I heard the click of Walter's mike button in the rear seat. In his most innocent voice, Walter startled the controller by asking for a ground speed check from 81,000 feet, clearly above controlled airspace. In a cool, professional voice, the controller replied, ' Aspen 20, I show you at 1,982 knots on the ground.' We did not hear another transmis sion on that frequency all the way to the coast."

1982 knots = 2280.84 mph according to Google.

Edit: Not sure how that happened.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/1/13 10:37 a.m.

holy triple repeat batman......

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
2/1/13 10:43 a.m.

I read all three. I knew exactly what he was doing. Of course, he had copied and pasted like a madman!

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
2/1/13 10:52 a.m.

at least it was not a triple post

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
2/1/13 10:55 a.m.

Yea. That would be cheating.

Cuda
Cuda New Reader
2/1/13 11:10 a.m.

I love the SR-71. So much so that my fiance bought me a wedding ring that is made from Blackbird titanium.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
2/1/13 11:11 a.m.
Cuda wrote: I love the SR-71. So much so that my fiance bought me a wedding ring that is made from Blackbird titanium.

OK, now thats just awesome.

I've seen the Aurora.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
2/1/13 11:15 a.m.

I had an uncle who worked "with" the Sr71.. not on it directly, but was involved with the people who did. He serviced the stuff that they used to service the plane and was often in the hanger with it during that time

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
2/1/13 11:21 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: I've seen the Aurora.

Great, now you're going to have to kill everyone that views the GRM boards.

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
2/1/13 11:22 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
Cuda wrote: I love the SR-71. So much so that my fiance bought me a wedding ring that is made from Blackbird titanium.
OK, now thats just awesome. I've seen the Aurora.

No you haven't, doesn't exist, don't know what you are talking about, must have been a weather balloon. Now if you'll please stare at the top of this metal cylinder, there will be a flash in just a moment. Hold on while I don my shades. . .

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
2/1/13 11:24 a.m.

Now you're the first man to know what a woman feels like when she gets monster diamond ring

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
2/1/13 11:25 a.m.

Where am I?

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
2/1/13 11:26 a.m.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
2/1/13 11:27 a.m.
Sky_Render wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: I've seen the Aurora.
Great, now you're going to have to kill everyone that views the GRM boards.

I don't think it's that big a deal. Granted not many to been seen these days.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/1/13 12:01 p.m.

most of them suffered from EGB* syndrome......

*EGB = Engine go BOOM

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
2/1/13 12:23 p.m.

There's a guy from my home town who flew both the SR-71 and the U-2. He is an interesting man to talk to.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
2/1/13 12:29 p.m.

Lets sum this thread up in pictures...

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
2/1/13 1:04 p.m.
yamaha wrote: most of them suffered from EGB* syndrome...... *EGB = Engine go BOOM

Yep...Mine did, April of 2012. RIP, She spilled her blood all of I-69 North of Lansing. I loved that car for highway commuting.

jeffmx5
jeffmx5 Reader
2/1/13 1:41 p.m.

Seen various places around the Web:

In another famous SR-71 story, Los Angeles Center reported receiving a request for clearance to FL 600 (60,000ft). The incredulous controller, with some disdain in his voice, asked, "How do you plan to get up to 60,000 feet?" The pilot (obviously a sled driver), responded, "We don't plan to go up to it, we plan to go down to it." He was cleared.
dj06482
dj06482 Dork
2/1/13 2:12 p.m.

I know this is a re-post, but I enjoyed the first go-round so much I'm going to share the other stories. This link has some good ones, including an incredible bailout story at Mach 3!

http://www.barthworks.com/aviation/

pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
2/1/13 2:18 p.m.

I've seen the SR-71 in person a few times. Still a very impressive plane. I would have loved to see it on the ground preparing for takeoff, leaking fuel all over the place.

Cuda
Cuda New Reader
2/1/13 2:35 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Now you're the first man to know what a woman feels like when she gets monster diamond ring

Why do you think I got that ring...

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
2/1/13 3:54 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:

I spotted a Comanche helicopter in the air at NSA HQ after it was announced the Comanche program had been scrapped. It was surprisingly matte black for a weather balloon.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
2/1/13 6:23 p.m.

Cute stories, but I don't believe either of them. I've heard variants of them over the many years the SR-71 has been around.

The first I recognize as a combination of the highest non-classified released speed run (embellished) story with the picked up on radar story.

The second has variations on the altitude, sometimes is reversed to amazing climb rates, and all variants are very similar to the navy fiction about a lighthouse.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
2/1/13 6:23 p.m.

Cute stories, but I don't believe either of them. I've heard variants of them over the many years the SR-71 has been around.

The first I recognize as a combination of the highest non-classified released speed run (embellished) story with the picked up on radar story.

The second has variations on the altitude, sometimes is reversed to amazing climb rates, and all variants are very similar to the navy fiction about a lighthouse.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uOou3jDGc6ISLsxBDdFHlh7THz5WZPStaKovYBp4xEf6Zm2UDO1cE8JNHx1SHxXz