1 2
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
9/11/13 6:48 p.m.

Inspired by GameboyRMH's thread, I have been thinking that as there's something a bit dystopian about my own '72 Chevy truck project (it is, after all, a rusted beater that is being kept on the road with a bunch of cast-off parts and bits of wrecked trucks), it would be cool to put some sort of distressed-looking graphics from some company or government entity from dystopian science fiction on the doors.

However, most of the graphics from that thread looked a bit too recent. I'd want something for an organization where it would fit the story for it to have been around when the truck was new. Some that occurred to me:

The Main Force Patrol (Mad Max) would be from the right timeframe, but doesn't seem quite right for a Chevy truck.

Miniluv or Ingsoc may be British, but the timeframe makes sense (the seem to have been quite firmly entrenched by 1984, so surely they'd have been pretty big in 1972) and it would make sense for them to need heavy equipment. Not quite sure the black and red version of the Ingsoc logo works for a green truck with yellow doors.

N.I.C.E. (That Hideous Strength) is a bit more obscure and a bit earlier (although the time period in the book is deliberately a bit vague, other than being postwar). They're also British, but had a presence in the US. There probably never was a definitive version of their logo drawn, but the description (a muscled guy holding thunderbolts) could lend itself to some interesting graphics.

Any other ideas?

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
9/11/13 7:11 p.m.

I've got a great one!

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
9/11/13 7:29 p.m.

Or on a much more seriously dystopian note:

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
9/11/13 7:30 p.m.

How 'bout this in the cab window?

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
9/11/13 7:34 p.m.

Silent Running was from '72

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
9/11/13 8:13 p.m.

Detroit's kind of a beater, right?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/11/13 8:17 p.m.

I think a Soylent Green delivery truck would be great.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
9/11/13 8:17 p.m.

Or better yet, cans of spray paint are cheap.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
9/11/13 9:52 p.m.

What about from WestWorld? The name of the theme park is Delos. What if you did this logo, but the wording on the bottom said "Maintenance Department"

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
9/12/13 7:31 a.m.

Dharma Initiative from LOST?

Soft sci-fi bordering on supernatural/fantasy, but it sure is dystopian.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/12/13 7:35 a.m.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
9/12/13 7:38 a.m.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
9/12/13 7:40 a.m.

SCP Foundation? Not exactly dystopian but the stories go back far enough and it could look like a serious work truck. Best if parts of it are melted or have other weird damage

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
9/12/13 7:49 a.m.

Aperture Science and Black Mesa fit in here. Aperture changed their logo as each new decade rolled around. Here's the one they had in the 70s.

The Portal storyline hints at a dystopian world outside the lab. It sure feels dystopian inside.

Black Mesa logo:

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/12/13 7:57 a.m.

Umbrella corporation? Started in the late '60s so it would work for the truck...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/12/13 7:58 a.m.

or maybe youre a Lost fan?

would be period correct for 70's steel...

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
9/12/13 8:01 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Black Mesa logo:

That looks like a Subaru XT steering wheel.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
9/12/13 8:06 a.m.

Haha it does.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/12/13 8:25 a.m.

This also has me thinking about the 72 Zombiechero

photo 015.jpg

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/12/13 8:31 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: This also has me thinking about the 72 Zombiechero  photo 015.jpg

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
9/12/13 8:33 a.m.

No need for fantasy dystopia

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/12/13 8:36 a.m.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
9/12/13 8:49 a.m.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/12/13 9:48 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I think a Soylent Green delivery truck would be great.

This is what my mind immediately went for.

tb
tb Reader
9/12/13 9:50 a.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote: Silent Running was from '72

Excellent suggestion! Weird movie, bold graphic and interesting & obscure conversation starter.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ljk2rvaZ6dPcYaN8LDOdzEXIO3Xyay55sIb33GeraoDqAwfZjhAfdg9ba7nvkKZZ