David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/5/10 9:45 p.m.

Last night we saw the Misfits--half-price tickets were hard to resist. I was a little hesitant since Danzig left years ago, but Jerry Only does a good job of carrying the torch. There was almost no downtime as he leapt from song to song. Guitarist Dez Cadena, formerly of Black Flag, threw in some Black Flag covers. Despite having to wade through four (yes, four!) opening acts, it's still a thumbs up. Looks like they still have a few more gigs left on this tour.

If you do go, don't leave early. They ended the set on a strong note, and at the end of the show someone handed Only a Sharpie. He then sat on the edge of the stage and signed autographs. Classy.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy Reader
12/5/10 10:16 p.m.

Had an almost identical experience about a year ago. Great show, way closer to the original than any recent Skynard rendition. Added bonus-did my heart good to hear 50 or so 20 yr olds singing along to all those Black Flag covers. Maybe the kids are all right(some of them anyway).

David S. Wallens
12/5/10 10:20 p.m.

Speaking of kids, these guys were among last night's opening bands: http://www.theattack.us/

They opened for D.R.I, too. I'd go see them headline. The sound was something close to Murphy's Law, kinda.

Goldmember
Goldmember Reader
12/7/10 6:02 p.m.

D.R.I.??? Holy crud that brings back some memories. How about "We're the Meat Men, and you still suck!!" Or the Circle Jerks' cover of "Fortunate Son"?

Cool to hear that these old Punk geezers are not only still around, but putting on shows. Kind of frightening that there are 20 yos that know the songs. . .

Pumpkin Escobar
Pumpkin Escobar SuperDork
12/7/10 6:18 p.m.

youre future is in an oblong box!

One of my all time favorites! I too am glad to see they are still around...gonna have to dig up some D.R.I. cassette tapes Ive got boxed away somewhere!

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Dork
12/7/10 8:17 p.m.

I'm confused.

David S. Wallens
12/7/10 9:35 p.m.

D.R.I. kicked ass live. Just as fast and aggressive as ever. It was like college all over again.

David S. Wallens
12/7/10 9:38 p.m.

And if you need a quick fix, go to http://www.myspace.com/dri2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D66jqHxFVwPW1lzVe4JFhYcuFz1fVH7pCVooCGil3yUtKFPMkojT9yERnZaFqkia