1 2
goldenyear
goldenyear New Reader
8/25/24 3:00 a.m.

What are your favourite classic cars from films? I'm a big fan of the James Bond series, and the classic cars featured in those films always stand out to me. One of my favourites is the Z8 from the 1999 film The World Is Not Enough. If you're into Bond cars too, check out this list  https://dyler.com/blog/17/the-top-7-most-iconic-james-bond-cars.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
8/25/24 7:22 a.m.

The Italian Job. The original, not the crappy remake that had nothing to do with the original aside from having 3 Minis in it. It's a feast for the eyes for anyone who likes Italian cars. Streets are littered with all sorts of cool things that have long since succumbed to rust. 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
8/25/24 9:07 a.m.

It seems played out now that Finnegan has his and made it the trend for a while, but I have loved the 55 Chevy from two lane blacktop since the first time I saw it.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic SuperDork
8/25/24 2:04 p.m.

Ford Mustang Mach 1 in the movie Diamonds Are Forever. My favorite Mustang.

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
8/25/24 8:08 p.m.

The 70's version of Bumblebee has always had a place in my heart.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/26/24 12:46 p.m.

In reply to budget_bandit :

I can hear this photo. :) 

David S. Wallens
8/26/24 1:37 p.m.

And for my nomination, I’m still going with the last of the V8s.

David S. Wallens
8/26/24 1:43 p.m.

And it gets a bonus point for the cinematography. We all know the close-up of the blower, but the shot past the zoomie pipes and into the cockpit should be celebrated as well.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
8/26/24 4:13 p.m.

In terms of sheer absurdity, nothing beats Death Race 2000.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
8/26/24 4:53 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

And for my nomination, I’m still going with the last of the V8s.

The camera work in that film is way above the budget of the movie. 

The scene where he fires up the yellow four door Interceptor where it pans across the dual pipes burbling...pure sex.

David S. Wallens
8/26/24 5:15 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Low angles and quick cuts. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UberDork
8/26/24 5:50 p.m.

IMCDb.org: 1975 Porsche 911 Turbo [930 ...

Two reasons...

1)  I love all things Porsche.

2) The owner is a former co-worker.

Fun fact, he's the guy driving the truck and he leased his Porsche to the studio for the shoot as he was single and thought "if I make it, more money, if I don't, who cares". 

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/26/24 6:08 p.m.

Cal's(Dennis Hopper) Corvette from King of the Mountain without a doubt.

David S. Wallens
8/27/24 3:25 a.m.

In reply to prowlerjc :

Or the ’67 Camaro from “Better Off Dead.”

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
8/27/24 6:54 a.m.

The BOD Camaro still exists. The owner used to have a web site for it but it has since vanished. https://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/better-off-dead-camaro-found-and-restored-to-its-former-glory/

Max P. Dingrods (Forum Supporter)
Max P. Dingrods (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/27/24 12:39 p.m.

Seriously??

Over 48 hours....and nobody has tipped their cap to the greatest movie car of all time? 

It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch-plant.  It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks.  It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/27/24 12:59 p.m.

I have always loved the Monte Carlo from Tokyo Drift. NASCAR steelies, side-exit exhaust, primer paint, gutted interior, and a Bill Mitchell 632ci big block Chevy. Just a brutal bare-knuckle brawler of a car. Interesting tidbit is that it was originally supposed to be painted up like Junior Johnson's Coke-sponsored '72 Monte Carlo, and the staff had it in primer when Dennis McCarthy walked through the shop and said "Stop, it's perfect."

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
8/27/24 1:05 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to prowlerjc :

Or the ’67 Camaro from “Better Off Dead.”

I came here to post this one. It's "tasty". 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
8/27/24 1:08 p.m.

Aside from the obvious ones (like Bandit's T/A, the BTTF cars, etc.) one of my favorite often overlooked movie cars is Reggie's GTO from Slap Shot. 

A big gold 1970 4-speed GTO piloted by none other than Paul Newman... perfection. 

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
8/27/24 3:56 p.m.

Is the Ecto-1 a wrong answer? I just love the sirens and classic looks. Besides, its introduction is one anyone with a project can relate to.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel SuperDork
8/27/24 4:43 p.m.

Two candidates.

First, the 73 or 74 Pontiac Grand Am that James Caan uses as a "work car" in "Thief." Michael Mann's car choices are usually pitch perfect, and this is one of them: just another old car on the city streets, but with a difference.

Second, the Jackal's rented Alfa Spider in [the original] "Day of the Jackal." The scene where he has found out his mission is blown and has to make up his mind between going back to Italy and staying in France is superb. There's no dialogue, just two signposts. He picks France – but he pulls the top up before he puts it in gear.

Trent
Trent UltimaDork
8/27/24 7:23 p.m.

The ONLY movie car I have ever wanted to build a replica of is possibly the worst car I could pick

The POS 71 Ford Galaxy from Suburbia

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
8/28/24 7:00 a.m.

I like trucks. The Jeep Gladiator from Tremors is pretty high on the list.

The wrecker from It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

And...sigh...if only I could find one of these that wasn't stupid priced. The F150 from Banshee.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/28/24 7:49 a.m.

Custom Buick from "Topper".

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/28/24 10:34 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

That Buick is cool, but what in the name of screaming trees in inside all that empty volume?  Even assuming a straight 8 up front, there's got to be enough inaccessible space aft to hold a coffin or two.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Jg1ivcNFFKQzQRxuIEgI4b7M9kHjjMUejFMSrAEHc4BtF1w2Svwzb69cQJYNGcL8