1 2 3 4 5
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/19/24 11:00 p.m.
Toyman! said:

My dislike of pineapple as a topping is due to its tendency to overpower other flavors. I like a pizza where the toppings work together.

Pineapple on pizza is like sticking an opera soprano into a barbershop quartet. She may be good but shes not going to work well with them. 

Give me pizza and give me pineapple. Just serve them in separate containers. 

Hence the pepperoni and jalapeno. Spicy and sweet. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/19/24 11:11 p.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

Cold steak or roast beef with ketchup.

Ketchup pairs uncannily well with cold meats

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
8/20/24 7:21 a.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Long John Slivers is the best! 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
8/20/24 7:29 a.m.
Indy - Guy said:

Long John Silver's.

I got an irrational craving for it about once a year.

Fish, those crispy bits and hush puppies, lots of hush puppies. And grease.  All of it.

There are a couple LJS near me that have the A&W draft tap in them and serve with the cold mug.  That alone gets me in there.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
8/20/24 7:37 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

It turns out there two entirely differently setup A&W/Long Johns. I learned this the hard way. One setup still brews the A&W on site, one does not. 

What sucks, for me locally anyway, is the one that brews on site has terrible quality control with their food. The other one has consistently great food, but just uses the boxed soda syrup for their rootbeer instead the machine that specifically makes it. 

Also, you Long John fans, have you noticed that the extra crispy bits that always filled the box seem to have disappeared? Neither of the locals seem to have them anymore, and that was my favorite part of the whole experience.

golfduke
golfduke Dork
8/20/24 8:06 a.m.
Old_Town said:

Slice of cheddar cheese on leftover apple pie slice. Heat until melty. 

And cream cheese and peanut butter sandwiches. 

Cheddar cheese on apple Pie is the ONLY way to eat it.  It's a Quebecois thing, most don't understand. 

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
8/20/24 8:19 a.m.

How have we made it this far without these??

Eaten alone, rinsed but not really separated, off a paper towel. Bite the little rounded ends off first, then kind of smash it into your face until it splits open. Consume most of the inside. Finish with the casing. Pluck the next one off the stuck-together cylinder of meat product, repeat.

Margie

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/20/24 8:23 a.m.

None. I have absolutely NO shame when it comes to food, public be dammed.

Example: I eat instant oatmeal packets at work. Dry. Co-workers have stopped asking.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
8/20/24 8:26 a.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

It turns out there two entirely differently setup A&W/Long Johns. I learned this the hard way. One setup still brews the A&W on site, one does not. 

What sucks, for me locally anyway, is the one that brews on site has terrible quality control with their food. The other one has consistently great food, but just uses the boxed soda syrup for their rootbeer instead the machine that specifically makes it. 

Also, you Long John fans, have you noticed that the extra crispy bits that always filled the box seem to have disappeared? Neither of the locals seem to have them anymore, and that was my favorite part of the whole experience.

I knew they were doing something different with the draft stuff, but had no clue what and never dug into it.

preach
preach UltraDork
8/20/24 8:30 a.m.

E36 M3 on a shingle.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
8/20/24 8:41 a.m.
preach said:

E36 M3 on a shingle.

Just remembered something that I get weird looks for.  But I love it, so berk em

Pork Floss

Found in pretty much any Asian food market, and some of the fancier upmarket food chains.  Its basically seasoned and cooked, then dehydrated and shredded pork.  Treat it like croutons or crumbled bacon, sprinkle it anywhere you want some extra pork flavor.  Does not need to be refrigerated if you eat it fast enough (which, I think, is why I get looks about it.)

Usually comes in a big ole berkeley-you size container.

1kris06
1kris06 HalfDork
8/20/24 9:19 a.m.

In college it was scrambled eggs and diced up hot dogs, cooked like an omelette. Eaten with Sriracha and white rice.

Now, frozen* food wrap. Tortilla, sour cream, banana peppers, frozen breaded chicken, jalapeno poppers, fries, blue cheese/ranch and hot sauce.

*Frozen foods are air fried, not eaten frozen

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UberDork
8/20/24 9:23 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
93gsxturbo said:

Eggs poached in Bushs beans.

okay I'm intrigued 

Get yourself a big can of the Bushs beans.  Used to be Bold and Spicy but those are NLA so now its just original.

Heat it up in a skillet on the stovetop till its boiling.

Turn the heat way way WAY down because now you can no longer stir it.  Just a slow lub lub lub from the beans, dont want them to scorch.  Lots of sugar in them.

Crack in 2-3 eggs. 

Cover, keep heat on low.  

Sit for 6-8 minute until the eggs are your level of done-ness.

Enjoy with plenty of Ketchup.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/20/24 10:41 a.m.

I don't really have a lot of oddball combinations, and I don't put ketchup on everything, but I will try to dredge up some curiosities:

• Leftover roast turkey - sliced white meat with soy sauce, eaten out of the fridge or on a paper napkin.

• At the snack bar, order a toasted bagel with cream cheese and a cheeseburger, no bun.  Combine and enjoy.

• Ramen noodles - pour off half the water before adding the flavor packet and break an egg or two into it.  Stir with a splash of hot sauce.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/20/24 12:03 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I love to doll up my ramen. I cook it in the water with the flavor pack and the pour the water off. Add some soy, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil.......stir around, throw a couple of sunny side up eggs, lots of sriracha and green onions. 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom MegaDork
8/20/24 12:16 p.m.

best canned corned beef hash

...often with a fried egg on top. Only eaten when my wife is away, probably shouldn't have it more than once or twice a year.

I used to get annual cravings for a Smokey Big Bite from 7-Eleven, but it's been at least a decade.

I also advocate for opening a tin of good tuna and just hitting it with Tabasco or Crystal and digging in.

I think we've pretty well covered a healthy lack of guilt about this stuff...

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
8/20/24 1:02 p.m.

I'm judging so hard right now

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
8/20/24 1:06 p.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

Corned beef hash is one of those things that belongs in every cabinet. I eat it with a fried egg at least every couple of months. Good stuff. 

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
8/20/24 1:29 p.m.

Recommendations for a good brand of corned beef? We were using Aldi for the longest time because it wasn't all grease, but the last couple cans we've bought were like eating a salt lick.

On the ramen noodle front, I toss the packets and just cook the noodles. Then add whatever for what I'm in the mood for, queso for Mac n cheese, pizza sauce for spaghetti. 

Can get fancy with them too, cook the noodles, cool them off, then throw in a hot pan with some sesame oil, handful of frozen veggies, and whatever leftover meats are in the fridge, finish it with some fish sauce and green onion. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
8/20/24 2:19 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

For corned beef hash, I usually buy Hormel. For canned corned beef, I usually buy Palm. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/20/24 2:48 p.m.
RevRico said:

the last couple cans we've bought were like eating a salt lick.

My guy over here threatening me with a good time

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
8/20/24 4:17 p.m.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

You people are disgusting

eedavis
eedavis New Reader
8/20/24 6:05 p.m.

maybe more of a "snack" than a "meal," buuuut ... Fritos and Stan's pimento cheese

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
8/20/24 6:35 p.m.

Some wild taste combos in here...

I can't say I'm ashamed of it, but my "adventure burritos" probably fit here. Tortilla, toss on a couple slices of cheap american cheese, pour on part of a can of Rotel and of black beans, along with some canned chicken if I'm feeling froggy. Acceptable cold, but absolutely delicious if you wrap in foil and warm up next to a fire so that cheese gets all melty. Great camping food, if I do it at home I will usually at least zap the filling in the microwave before dumping it all on the tortilla. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
8/20/24 8:43 p.m.
eedavis said:

maybe more of a "snack" than a "meal," buuuut ... Fritos and Stan's pimento cheese

Sir that's a delicacy. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XGeaeXAcIyd70ztnxkPH4Hg9mwDpNCaDR7ighEkyOcU2CpJI6VxOZorXdq37uERM