1 2 3 4
96DXCivic
96DXCivic Reader
2/23/09 4:15 p.m.

Rust that you didn't know was there esp. in the frame.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
2/23/09 4:22 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: Got a new one after doing some work today. Burnt the crap out of my forearm working on a RSX-S today taking off the oil filter, same goes for new Si oil filter location, and Prelude SH oil filter location. These are three occasions where I am 100% positive Honda had some Germans engineer some parts on the car.

hah, i remember that crap. you pretty much have to slide the oil catch under then go up top and reach down to loosen it. then once you have it loose you can't pull it back up without burning yourself so you have to drop the filter into the pan and hope you put the catch pan in the right spot. loads of fun!

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
2/23/09 4:24 p.m.

Anytime I cut myself on some sharp object as a bolt loosens the wrenches start flying. Totally ruins the joy of breaking loose a bolt and it hurts and you have to stop and clean up. ARGH!

eastsidemav
eastsidemav New Reader
2/23/09 4:24 p.m.

Never thrown tools, as far as I can remember.

after weeks of fighting everything on our 2005 Challenge build, we beat on our Integra parts car with 5lb hammers.

When I did the oil change on the Quad4 CRX, and found the head gasket had popped, I put my fist into the header panel.

Been mad a lot in the garage, mostly just kept it bottled up because I didn't want to risk breaking something else that I'd have to fix...

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin HalfDork
2/23/09 4:31 p.m.
derekshannon wrote: For me it's having to do stuff in bitterly cold weather outside. My fingers start to get stiff and I lose the finer motor skills like threading a nut on a bolt with no good way to fix it. Much worse when you're also in a rush with no other vehicle to use if you can't get it done in time. One that comes to mind is when I did my Bronco's thermostat. It was the coldest 4 or 5 days of the winter, probably 10-11degrees with a biting wind. You couldn't use gloves due to the tighness of the area but your fingers got wet with coolant. I got the bright idea to use a heat-gun on my fingers. Normally it would've melted my skin but out in that cold wind, it merely kept me from getting frostbite. Not to mention I tried to do this during my lunchbreak!

Sounds like what I went through when I replaced the thermostat on my FC3S, although I don't mind the cold unless the wind is trying to gnaw my face off. The constant snow we've been getting is pissing me off because it buries the FC and I need to get to work on the brakes and bearings to have it roadworthy. All the snow that collects on the sides of the FC also slides under the car and ices over, meaning I can't put a jack or jackstand safely under it. I want this car roadworthy by spring so I can race it, but the uncooperative weather is killing me.

Another thing that sets me off is rusty fasteners, especially when they break. Welcome to New England.

What angers me the most is when a seemingly simple job turns into a major undertaking, whether its due to a broken fastener, my inexperience as a mechanic, or an unexpected new problem that pops up out of nowhere.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard SonDork
2/23/09 4:39 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: Got a new one after doing some work today. Burnt the crap out of my forearm working on a RSX-S today taking off the oil filter, same goes for new Si oil filter location, and Prelude SH oil filter location. These are three occasions where I am 100% positive Honda had some Germans engineer some parts on the car.

Same on E30's. It took me 1/2 an hour to figure out how to get the filter off of my 325. Then, I couldn't get it back on.

I'm not allowed to throw tools, though.

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
2/23/09 4:49 p.m.

What about throwing the tool and then realizing that was the tool you need to finish the job and now it is hiding somewhere in the garage? Works especially well with the little torx bits.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
2/23/09 4:51 p.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote:
Same on E30's. It took me 1/2 an hour to figure out how to get the filter off of my 325. Then, I couldn't get it back on. I'm not allowed to throw tools, though.

wait till you try to replace a control arm, allowed to or not.. tools will fly

those germans REALLY love their balljoints >,<

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
2/23/09 4:56 p.m.

also, when replacing the front lower control arms on my mustang, I broke this part.

Its a K-member nutplate, clips into the framerail to give you a nut inside the rail to bolt the k-member to.

to find out that it was an $80 part (at the time, now its only $43) from the mustang salvage places and none of the local junkyards had an SN-95 mustang on the lot.

part is now replaced with some sheet steel I had and $5 worth of grade 8 hardware.

Goldmember
Goldmember New Reader
2/23/09 6:22 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: also, when replacing the front lower control arms on my mustang, I broke this part. Its a K-member nutplate, clips into the framerail to give you a nut inside the rail to bolt the k-member to. to find out that it was an $80 part (at the time, now its only $43) from the mustang salvage places and none of the local junkyards had an SN-95 mustang on the lot. part is now replaced with some sheet steel I had and $5 worth of grade 8 hardware.

Stripping or breaking-free welded nuts inside of bulk heads sucks. I had to cut holes in the rear floor of my $2002 '89 Civic to replace/fabricate new sliding tow adjusters.

Rust sucks no matter where its location, some just sucks more than others.

Getting a deep slice/heavy leaker while your hands are completely black.

And cords. I am so glad I am not the only one to be cursed by the serpant god.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
2/23/09 8:18 p.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote:
Same on E30's. It took me 1/2 an hour to figure out how to get the filter off of my 325. Then, I couldn't get it back on. I'm not allowed to throw tools, though.

i have a buddy who works with me at Honda. Has a 90? 325, 95 325, and 95 M3. He just spent a whole day at working putting new seals in the tranny and polishing it with mothers polish. If you need any help I'm sure he'll give you a hand lol. He'll go a whole day without touching a car to make sure all his Bimmer's are set strait.

Rumnhammer
Rumnhammer New Reader
2/23/09 8:34 p.m.

Couple of things, as stated, cheap channel locks slipping is a big one with me, finally learned my lesson with those and did away with the HF stuff. Hitting my head on anything. Adjusting the valves on my old Z car having the wrench slip and punching the valvetrain, (still have the scars from that one).

Losening the nuts on my friends 240sx driveshaft wrench slips again and I punch the seam of the floorpan slicing my hand up like a carving knife.

Any time I end up with welding drops or plasma cutting slag falling inside any clothing and it is so hot that it has melted its way into your flesh before you even feel it, then a second or two later you DO feel it and realise that its going to hurt for a few weeks after that.

I too, do not throw tools, but I do tend to jump up from the job and kick the nearest thing, that usually ends up hurting my foot more then whatever object it is, oh and also much prerequisit cursing as well.

Chris Rummel

walterj
walterj HalfDork
2/23/09 8:57 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote:
Tommy Suddard wrote:
wait till you try to replace a control arm, allowed to or not.. tools will fly those germans REALLY love their balljoints >,<

Are you guys nuts? An E30 oil change is a 20 minute affair and I've changed a control arm in the pits with 2 wrenches, a hammer and a crowbar. Work on a VW/Audi or a 6 cyl Nissan Pathfinder and you will be begging for a BMW to work on.

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 New Reader
2/23/09 9:09 p.m.

when i can't find the tool i need

I only throw the 7,9,11,13,15, or 18mm wrenches and sockets.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
2/23/09 10:05 p.m.
walterj wrote: Are you guys nuts? An E30 oil change is a 20 minute affair and I've changed a control arm in the pits with 2 wrenches, a hammer and a crowbar. Work on a VW/Audi or a 6 cyl Nissan Pathfinder and you will be begging for a BMW to work on.

i didnt have a problem with the oilchange, but getting those effin balljoints to separate is a different story.

doing the oilpan was an interesting affair, but not harder then i thought it would be going in.

none of the work i have done on the E30 compares to doing the fuel pump on the mustang... with 3/4 of a tank of gas... without the tool to disconnect the fuel lines.. when i was in highschool without much in the way of major wrenching experience... that was juuusssssttt peachy..

speedblind
speedblind New Reader
2/23/09 10:31 p.m.

Subaru WRX spark plugs. Really not all that bad once you've done it a couple times, but the first time it's infuriating how difficult it is to get such a simple maintenance procedure done.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
2/24/09 12:01 a.m.
derekshannon wrote: ...For me it's having to do stuff in bitterly cold weather outside. My fingers start to get stiff and I lose the finer motor skills like threading a nut on a bolt with no good way to fix it. Much worse when you're also in a rush with no other vehicle to use if you can't get it done in time...

One of the most depressing moments in my life was fixing my GTI in Nebraska in the winter. It was one of those "easy" jobs I managed to turn into and ordeal (mentioned before by someone else) becuase I didn't have the tools and the ones I had were crap. I ended up under that car under 3 AM, on the street (no driveway) going inside every 1/2 hour just to regain my senses. I finally got it done in time to go in, take a shower and get ready for work. I think I actually cried a few times.

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
2/24/09 1:30 a.m.

Anyone been inside of a door lately? I swear they were assembled by Oompa Loompas. I'm so frustrated and confused, I might just unbolt the mysteriously jammed up door just to get at the lock mechanism.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago HalfDork
2/24/09 3:10 a.m.

I just removed the entire lock and outside handle assembly from my Miata's door in order to replace a $0.45 spring that had broken which made the door stay locked even when I didn't want it too.

924guy
924guy HalfDork
2/24/09 5:56 a.m.

neighbors..... they see you working on a car and its on.. conversation is always the same.. they act like your best freind then hit you with a string of stupid questions hoping to get you to "look at" their car ... now when i see them coming i throw a tantrum , curse, throw tools before they get too close, with hopes theyll turn around and go home thinking "its not a good time".. but they still sneak up on me occasionally . cost me a good hour a few weeks ago, another 45 minutes this past weekend.. maybe ill just start throwing the tools at the neighbors...

I hate the cold weather thing too, i got a bit of frostbite one year helping a friend do a motor swap in an RS Nova (awesome car).. had to go in every 20 minutes to warm up enough to get feeling back in my hands enough to thread bolts on...and of course it was snowing heavily..and it was on the street in front of his apartment complex, so had to be done quickly.. we did it, but that may be the root of my move to Florida.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
2/24/09 6:38 a.m.

OMG I would have cried for days if I swapped the wrong engine into a car

Things that make me throw tools

• Hitting my head
  • Losing a screw (a big problem when it falls into an AE92's engine bay)
  • Getting hit with a downpour while working under a garage (happens all the time)

When I most wish I could have thrown a tool:

When fixing my Treo 650 (replaced the keyboard, second PDA repair so far, these things have parts so small that some of you older folks probably couldn't see them at all and it's really hard to work on it without breaking it) I had disassembled it for the second time since I didn't get the ribbon connector for the LCD plugged in quite right the first time. Put it together and the screen works!

And there's the earpiece speaker on the counter! >:( AAARGGH!!!

audifan
audifan New Reader
2/24/09 6:54 a.m.

generally I find it much more satisfying to actually damage the car instead! my best damage story was replacing the starter in my 78 fiesta (stop laughing it had double 40 DCOE's on it) after the 4 starter (cause the header pipe was literally about a couple pieces of paper widtch from the ass of the starter) I got really mad and smashed my hand down on the cowl grill you know those nice little slats before the windshield on older cars left a 2 inch divit in the slats and i got to look @ it everytime i got in the car! but I got smart after 4 starter and wrapped the starter in heat reflective stuff. I dont care what my teachers said about me nothing gets by me! Now where did I leave my helmet and my crayons??????????????

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
2/24/09 6:58 a.m.

When I was a sophomore in high school I changed out the differential in a Spitfire, by myelf, in the Louisiana summer, without a manual. I had no idea what I was doing, but I still remember the weekend spent laying under that car with a differential sitting on my chest, trying to figure out how I was going to hold it in place long enough to get the bolts started.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
2/24/09 8:27 a.m.

I did pretty much the same thing with my '68 Spitfire. The worst part was getting the spring back into place. I wanted to set the damn thing on fire about halfway through.

My driveability tech at the Buick store was pretty level headed but of course everyone has their breaking point. It was blazing hot and humid, the shop had poor ventilation and something was balking him. My office was right next to his bays and I could hear him getting angrier and angrier. Through the glass wall I saw him come out from under the hood, stumble back about two or three steps, then he threw a 15/16 combination wrench through the windshield. I just called the service advisor and told him to get the customer a rental for the day.

RossD
RossD New Reader
2/24/09 8:33 a.m.

My dad was building our cabin and someone brought a hammer a long and had left it for others to use. The devil who left it neglected to mention that the face of the head sloped towards your knuckles and every strike that sunk the nail flush with the wood would send your knuckles into the wood also. It ended up in the surrounding woods. Found a couple years later and was ground the opposite direction and is kept around the cabin for laughing sake.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yh6SYKS3QnZJcogPKMclStmB5Bq8yM1T8A9DOobt2voZ1PvN5yvAerzAw6Fvb9uM