1 2
Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd HalfDork
8/14/08 9:25 p.m.

Sorry to go a bit off topic here, but is that the water tower that's on the cover of the Dead Kennedys album Plastic Surgery Disasters?

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago Reader
8/14/08 11:57 p.m.

One of the big reasons you see so much empty space in the American West is water, or rather the lack thereof. Most of California, Arizona, Nevada, etc. is a desert similar to the Sahel in Africa. There just isn't enough water here to sustain a large population. Technically, Los Angles and Phoenix, among others, are living on borrowed time.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
8/15/08 9:08 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: One of the big reasons you see so much empty space in the American West is water, or rather the lack thereof. Most of California, Arizona, Nevada, etc. is a desert similar to the Sahel in Africa. There just isn't enough water here to sustain a large population. Technically, Los Angles and Phoenix, among others, are living on borrowed time.

DingDingDingDing, $100 and control of the board goes to you

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
8/15/08 9:13 a.m.
Mental wrote:
poopshovel wrote:
captainzib said:Fast forward 24ish years later, and I'm nearly an engineer, working, and paying taxes.
Awesome! Glad you're here! Does it infuriate you that the US is welcoming unskilled, non-taxpaying, non-citizens to come here and pound out puppies? This should be required watchin' for high-schoolers ("immigration by the numbers:") http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4094926727128068265&hl=en
Just as much as it rewards unskilled, non-taxpaying, citizens to stay uneducated and pound out puppies

Did you watch the video? Read the pamphlet? Drink the Kool-Aid???

captainzib
captainzib New Reader
8/15/08 9:16 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: One of the big reasons you see so much empty space in the American West is water, or rather the lack thereof. Most of California, Arizona, Nevada, etc. is a desert similar to the Sahel in Africa. There just isn't enough water here to sustain a large population. Technically, Los Angles and Phoenix, among others, are living on borrowed time.

I can't wait for the property values around the Great Lakes skyrockets. Of course, countries will go to war for drinking water instead of oil and I hoped to be better armed than a Bond villain by then.

doitover
doitover New Reader
8/15/08 9:29 a.m.

Desalination. It takes a lot of energy to pump water uphill though, yet another reason to be investing heavily in non-petroleum energy.

captainzib wrote:
I can't wait for the property values around the Great Lakes skyrockets. Of course, countries will go to war for drinking water instead of oil and I hoped to be better armed than a Bond villain by then.
mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
8/15/08 9:52 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: I am also one of those people who would not be alive. I almost died when I was 14 from Crohnes Disease. 100 years ago, it would have been a form of consumption.. not that it existed 100 years ago, Crohnes, being an auto-immune system disfunction is a distinctly 1st world disease.

Colitis here at 17. Toxic Pan Colitis. Colon fell apart as it was removed (quite literally)... Of course, now they are thinking that I may have been mis-diagnosed, and that it might be Crohn's Colitis... So, I'm back to being poked, prodded and generally annoyed with medical professionals.

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
8/15/08 11:32 a.m.

auto immune diseases! in a first world nation you need to constantly challenge your immune system to keep it from misbehaving. When you a drop a piece of food on the floor let it sit for a while before you pick it up and eat it. Let your dog lick your face. You can help your friends and coworkers with their immune system to by refusing to wash your hands.

bluej
bluej Reader
8/15/08 2:40 p.m.
Mental wrote: I'm gonna live forever suckas! (or die trying)

what a marvelous motto to go by. i'm going to remember that one.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XCQZziOw35NEPnwHa8RLKUAtucfI6O9c2hUbqK9H6G8HZ7KM1UPQJX0gA3DTPLGh