J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
8/22/24 4:23 p.m.

Many companies use one's first initial and last name for email addresses. Well, sometimes, that doesn't work. Enjoy this one.

This Woman's Name Is Going Viral On TikTok Because Her Employer Said It "Doesn't Fit The Company Email Structure," And You'll Laugh But Go, "OHH I See" (yahoo.com)

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/22/24 4:33 p.m.

I think there are at least two or three people here who would very much enjoy having that as their company email address.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/22/24 4:43 p.m.

Oh yeah I would trade with her in a second

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
8/22/24 4:48 p.m.

It cuts both ways.  In college I knew someone whose last name was 'Ruth' and first name started with 'T', so got the address 'truth@<school>.edu' :)

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/22/24 10:03 p.m.

When I read the headline I guessed that her name would be Francine Uckman.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/23/24 9:03 a.m.

I'll bet Markus Bison is pleased.

johndej
johndej UltraDork
8/23/24 9:17 a.m.

There were Sam and Stephen Hitt that I've seen, the one with shorter tenure was #1 and longer #2.

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
8/23/24 9:19 a.m.

One of the facilities I test at used the first initial last name structure and one of the engineers wound up with CHicks@<facility>.com

It was always worth a chuckle when I had to send him emails.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
8/23/24 9:22 a.m.

Friend of mine usually has to get the corporate email people to create him a <lastname>@<company> because his initial and last name together are somewhat derogative in English.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/23/24 12:13 p.m.

Fantastic.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
8/23/24 1:37 p.m.

First name Scott.  Last name Hatfield.  So I get shatfield. Say it out loud. 

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UberDork
8/23/24 5:42 p.m.

I learned to be very careful with automating file names years ago when our naming convention was the first four letters of the client's last name, followed by the first letter of the first name. Mr. T Cunningham's data really drove that point home.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UberDork
8/23/24 7:52 p.m.

I have an unusual first name and a long and hard to spell last name.  When i first started where I work now, I asked if I could just get the shortened version of my first name @ the domain, because chances are no one else will ever show up with this name, and my full name is large and tough to spell.

And they went for it.  

So now me and the owner and one other guy who was there on day 1 have just "firstname@" at a 250 person company.  Its pretty great.  

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
8/25/24 10:47 a.m.

Years ago we had staff from Japan supporting our trackside development software. One of our guys reported some 'F'd up data' to the Japanese guys. They created a directory on the server for software issues labeled "Fxxxxd Up Data" that lasted for years before one of the managers spotted it and had them update it to a more appropriate name.

P3PPY
P3PPY SuperDork
8/25/24 1:45 p.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

That's great. 

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
8/25/24 6:59 p.m.

We have a new project engineer. We have a whiteboard that's our 3 week project coverage calendar (late duty, weekends, and if you're off).

Everyone does time off by putting their name at the bottom of the day, and "Off".

This coming Friday is a big one for vacation (Labor Day) and so he's like 4th name to go the board as being off. 

Chris off 

Bob off

Ryan off

Jack out

"Hey Jack, we usually just write 'off', why'd you go with......ohhh. Got it! Carry on!"

​​​​​

Gary
Gary PowerDork
8/25/24 7:31 p.m.

This is one of the funniest threads I've read here in a long time! Thanks J.A. 😁

rustyvw
rustyvw Dork
8/25/24 8:00 p.m.

I used to work for private college locally.  One of the employees sames was Tanya Estes.  We used to laugh about her email being testes@company.com.  She didn't think it was as funny as we did.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
8/25/24 8:43 p.m.
Spearfishin said:

We have a new project engineer. We have a whiteboard that's our 3 week project coverage calendar (late duty, weekends, and if you're off).

Everyone does time off by putting their name at the bottom of the day, and "Off".

This coming Friday is a big one for vacation (Labor Day) and so he's like 4th name to go the board as being off. 

Chris off 

Bob off

Ryan off

Jack out

"Hey Jack, we usually just write 'off', why'd you go with......ohhh. Got it! Carry on!"

​​​​​

I can relate as I had dog named Jack. I quickly realized that I had to be real careful on a lot of things I said.

It was "Jack ... down"

"Hello Jack"

And when I went in the backyard, I sometimes knew Jack s#!t.

As a funny aside, when AC/DC's "Here Come the Jack" came on the radio once, he absolutely went crazy, wondering, "Why are they saying my name over and over again?!"

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FId2Eel4IoNA8o8MOAKuYRQSA1JBdA5TUU1RH7xJFtXQR8chTo51WsMVohtF76Yp