4 5 6 7 8

The pictures that glueguy posted really show my worst fear during a hurricane; the storm surge. Yeah, the winds can blow trees over and tear your roof off. The heavy rainfall can cause localized flooding.

But there isn't a damn thing you can do about the storm surge. That is what terrified me during the two close calls we had while living in Pasco county. I thought for sure that we would come back after the evac order was lifted to a pile of debris that used to be our house.

I hope all of you weathered the storm alright.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
9/28/24 4:46 a.m.

So, relevant to the racing world, site of Chimney Rock Hillclimb.

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
9/28/24 6:54 a.m.
glueguy (Forum Supporter) said:

Boat yard sale. Crazy thing is they all had to come from behind the houses to land in the front yard by the street. 

That is on the Treasure Island Causeway. I can tell from the brick wall in the foreground. The draw bridge is about 300yds to the right in the picture, Another small bridge that makes the final jump into downtown T.I. is about 400yds to the left. The yacht club is behind you with a pretty open parking lot. Those boats most likely came across the parking lot from the club or houses on the fingers to the South.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/28/24 7:02 a.m.

Yesterday I was up in Jacksonville, Florida. I noticed more debris there than down here in Ormond. Not a lot of debris but still more than here. 

Hoppps
Hoppps Reader
9/28/24 8:10 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

Nooooo, tell me that isn't real. That's devestating. I'm so sorry for all those people, chimney rock was a beautiful place.

dont we have a GRM'er near there? Bat cave rd area? Hope he's okay too

brandonsmash
brandonsmash HalfDork
9/28/24 8:18 a.m.

Jeez, that is some major devastation. It sounds like some whole towns were washed away. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
9/28/24 10:17 a.m.

So.  Not to be Debbie Downer, but...

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/28/24 11:15 a.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

You are correct, Treasure Island. Gulf Blvd was completely covered with sand. That part was easy to explain to coworkers up north. There was 2 inches of sand on the road so they brought in bulldozers. Just like a snow event. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/28/24 4:13 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

So.  Not to be Debbie Downer, but...

Don't like it for insurance - LOVE it for property values 

TravisTheHuman
TravisTheHuman MegaDork
9/28/24 5:06 p.m.

The western NC devastation is incredible and terrible :(

My son and I were planning to spend some time camping in western NC next week, but I canceled everything and just ate the cancelation fee.

Google maps yesterday and today looked like gridlock all over the place, and the areas that were showing green I suspect just don't have any internet connection to report the situation.

I hope the area and the people are able to recover quickly.  Certainly looks like many roads are going to be berkeleyed for quite a while.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
9/28/24 5:53 p.m.

Sorry for the non tech savvy link.

Google maps to Old Rock Cafe location At Chimney Rock

Facebook short of current situation

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
9/28/24 7:34 p.m.

I left work early at 4pm, took all surface streets and took about 55min. Winds were crazy and getting worse. Stretches of power and traffic lights out, tree limbs, etc.

According to my two cameras the power went out at 431pm yesterday just before I got home. It's still out today at 730pm, emptying the refrigerator tomorrow in the daylight.

But nothing is flooded or broken, cars are all safe. I could have it much worse from what I've read. I spent the day having fun at the Air Force Museum.

NY Nick
NY Nick SuperDork
9/28/24 7:54 p.m.

In reply to Hoppps :

We do have one up there. I am blanking on the name but he invented the term "Steve" and he has a Miata and an old stock car. I hope he is ok, it is horrible what I'm seeing there. 

David S. Wallens
9/28/24 8:21 p.m.

My parents are still without power, but they have food and are staying put. My brother and I are monitoring the online chatter, and people in their town are getting back online.

A friend in St. Pete, not so lucky: 2 feet of storm surge came through her house. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/28/24 9:03 p.m.

Here on the Atlantic side of Florida, we were relatively unscathed, and very fortunate this time. 

What is personally ironic is that after the 2004 season when Florida was hit by four hurricanes in six weeks, and 2005, which was the most active hurricane season ever (including Katrina), and lasted until January, I moved my family to western NC. 

Asheville. A lot of the flooding is much worse than this. 

TravisTheHuman
TravisTheHuman MegaDork
9/29/24 9:13 a.m.

This keeps looking worse and worse.  40 is shut down at Statesville, presumably to keep people from trying to come to the area.

This account seems to have a lot more pics and insight into the destruction :(

https://www.facebook.com/LiveStormChaser

https://www.foxcarolina.com/2024/09/27/officials-all-lanes-i-40-i-26-closed-due-rockslide-nc/

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
9/29/24 9:31 a.m.

This is an outage map for Anderson County SC where most of my family lives.  

That map has a population about the same as Alachua County where Gainesville is.  

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UberDork
9/29/24 9:53 a.m.

All of the pictures out of Asheville are just insane.

I love that part of the world and man I feel so sad for all of the destruction that came on it. Of all of the places that I would have thought to be effected, Asheville was not on the list. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
9/29/24 12:45 p.m.

Cleetus McFarland took his recently refurbished MD500 helicopter to the Asheville area to help with relief efforts. He said it's bad really bad.

Toyman- how are your folks? 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/29/24 2:27 p.m.

I feel very much for the people who are enduring such devastation. Here in Northern California we are about to get hit by a heat wave and will be on high alert for fires!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/29/24 3:10 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

Cleetus McFarland took his recently refurbished MD500 helicopter to the Asheville area to help with relief efforts. He said it's bad really bad.

Toyman- how are your folks? 

I was wondering if he would. He's that kind of guy. 

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
9/29/24 6:04 p.m.

You know E36 M3 got real when Waffle house is closed. Gulf Blvd today looked like a snowy day up north. 

The start of gutting the lower units.  Half the people haven't come back yet. There is still a lot of furniture to hit the front yard before I can cut drywall and rip out cabinets.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
9/29/24 9:28 p.m.

Still out as of 930pm Sunday, last AES email predicted by Monday night. We'll see. At least I have multiple friends nearby offering help and spent the afternoon at SWMBO house for another shower, laundry, dinner and a movie (latest Mad Max). Also charged up a bunch of stuff.

David S. Wallens
9/30/24 9:31 a.m.

My parents got their power restored Sunday morning. Big sigh of relief but I know for many we’re just beginning.

Saw several power company trucks heading north on I-95 yesterday, too, and I was only on the interstate for two exits. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/30/24 9:43 a.m.
jgrewe said:

You know E36 M3 got real when Waffle house is closed. Gulf Blvd today looked like a snowy day up north. 

That's just north of the TI Causway, right? 

The sand is freaky. The island must hav basically been overtopped with water to have that much sand deposited on it. And as I recall the beaches there are very long. Lots of distance from road to water. How much shoreline erosion are you seeing over there?

4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6AupGLzozAWrtAht1gFJjxQjKtm8PWm89ydcSVWs9O0KuPqlIWGeDLdL7S8a0g1r