3 4 5 6 7
Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
1/24/10 1:31 p.m.

...when your passengers get nervous that you have zip ties, duct tape, and a fire extinguisher in your daily driver.

Or when your daily driver has a fire extinguisher and your track car doesn't...

When you're out of free AAA tows for the year, but you haven't had any breakdowns; they were all used bringing cars home.

When you wonder why people have such high car payments because they don't realize they could bring home a car every month for that money?

Your cars and your dogs are all rescues.

autoxrs
autoxrs New Reader
1/24/10 2:02 p.m.

The newest car you've ever owned was made in '95.

You take side roads through farm land to see what cool cars have a for sale sign.

You were extremely sad when the Yugo in town went away.

You have to play musical cars because your apartment complex only has 1 spot per tenant.

nickel_dime
nickel_dime Dork
1/25/10 8:14 p.m.

Years ago I used to be a volunteer paramedic. I had a POS 200SX that had been hit in the rear and I was trying to get it through inspection one last time before pronouncing it dead. After responding to car crashes and there being no injuries I'd pick up pieces of tail light lenses. I had pieces from about four different makes all glued together and it didn't look half bad (from 10 feet away).

Woody
Woody SuperDork
1/25/10 9:47 p.m.

Instead of a Bible next to your bed, you keep a copy of How To Build Motorcycle Engined Racing Cars.

Toyman01
Toyman01 Dork
1/25/10 11:18 p.m.
Woody wrote: Instead of a Bible next to your bed, you keep a copy of How To Build Motorcycle Engined Racing Cars.

How did you know that's where that book was.

Man that's scary.

EricM
EricM Dork
3/14/11 10:22 p.m.

ca chunk (bump)

you know you are GRM when your wife brings home magnetic material and tells you to make new numbers for you DD/autocross car

FlightService
FlightService Reader
3/14/11 10:36 p.m.

When you work at a stealership to finish college and everyone comes to you for information on cars instead of the buyers or service people.

killerkane
killerkane New Reader
3/14/11 10:51 p.m.

This reminds me of the thread on the NASA forum "You might be a road racer if..."

Hasbro
Hasbro HalfDork
3/15/11 12:15 a.m.

I was GRM when GRM wasn't cool.

I was AutoX when AutoX wasn't cool.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/15/11 1:18 a.m.

When you've seen the pistons of almost every car you own.

When you'd rather learn a new skill than pay someone else to do it.

When you show up with a home-built car (covered in 1100 miles of winter road goo on a dilapidated open trailer) and run against two $80,000 cars with five uniformed minders...and get called a "ringer"

mtn
mtn SuperDork
3/15/11 1:23 a.m.

When you can drive a Miata and beat countless people in a Corvette... And still are lusting for a Corvette

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
3/15/11 10:01 a.m.
Keith wrote: When you've seen the pistons of almost every car you own.

awesome.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
3/15/11 10:11 a.m.

Your three "best" cars are not road legal.

You drive a truck every day because you need to tow a car trailer 30 days a year.

You have an oil budget.

You have been paid in beer to build a roll cage or swap a complete drive train.

The guy at the machine shop knows your phone number from memory.

nickel_dime
nickel_dime Dork
3/15/11 10:31 a.m.

When you look at your driveway full of car and think " which one am I going to fix so I can go to work tomorrow".

procker
procker Reader
3/15/11 10:46 a.m.

When you drive all over Ohio on your day off to pick up free Yugo and Fiat parts.

FlightService
FlightService Reader
3/15/11 12:17 p.m.
ignorant wrote: You know you're GRM when you talk so much about cars you change your car hating wife into someone who looks at a 2002 BMW and says.. .I like that car...

I DID THAT TOO!!!!!!! My wife now knows Mustang and Camaro body codes too!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/15/11 12:31 p.m.

When your wife tells you to be quiet, they are talking about Ferrari's on TV, and she cant hear because youre being too loud

Lugnut
Lugnut HalfDork
3/15/11 3:08 p.m.

You can tell the difference between Pagid Blacks and Hawk HT10s by the way they smell when a car comes off the track.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy Reader
3/15/11 6:06 p.m.

You take a class at a community college then buy a welder because making a new exhaust is cheaper than buying one. Secretly you know that once you have a new tool in your hands a new world of project possibilities opens up for you.

You hear about somebody with an old car in their yard that hasn't run for years and you're overcome with a desire to go down and look at it.

Your knuckles look like you've been punching engine blocks.

People say things like, "If you were normal, what car would you buy?"

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
3/15/11 6:24 p.m.

When you speak in GRM, literally calling a person a "motherberkeleyer"

EvanB
EvanB Dork
3/15/11 6:28 p.m.

When you read motherberkeleyer and wonder why it isn't censored, then realise that it really is.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
3/15/11 6:37 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: when you're bored you'd rather surf Craigslist than channels

Heh. I do that when my wife has to watch "Housewifes of Idon'tgiveaBerkeley" because there's nothing else on TV.

Expensive surfing, that.

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
3/15/11 6:56 p.m.

When you have worked several hours a week in a repair shop for no pay in exchange for chance to use a lift and the owners $10,000 + collection of tools.

When you get a AAA Premier membership because the tow service is "Way cheaper than payments on a new car."

When you drive a 20-year-old Honda with 180,00 miles and 8 years of autocross because, "It's paid for and gets the same gas mileage as a new Fiesta"

thestig99
thestig99 Reader
3/15/11 8:43 p.m.

Your daily driver is worth more in parts than it is as a car.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
3/15/11 8:58 p.m.

When your fingers are crossed that the furnace makes it til the end of winter, the house is long overdue for a coat of paint and you haven't been to the dentist in two years ... but you manage to scrape together funds for an engine swap.

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FG10ydcnPctQ5bAxwOFFh1BKVgL9gFkHqsf2PN5rtLErviO7D5oIRyxnkhhbp3RB