1 2
petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
2/20/15 7:23 a.m.

SWMBO calls to say her windshield cracked. While she was stopped at a light.

I noticed I had a headlight on one side & marker light on the other out about 30-seconds before she called. Then I got in the Vitara & saw this:

photo 0AA97BA8-361E-4750-941B-48526C0AC35E_zpsmaporoqk.jpg

At least it didn't happen last Friday, I'd have gone back to bed!

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
2/20/15 7:29 a.m.

It's so cold, I just farted snowflakes!

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
2/20/15 7:41 a.m.

It was 30 below here in Ann Arbor this morning. I have no jokes.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
2/20/15 7:42 a.m.

You know it's cold when they cancel my sons' wrestling tournament because temps will be in the teens with a chance of flurries. Oh no, not flurries!!! Someone think of the children!!!

Stupid Atlanta wimps...

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
2/20/15 8:01 a.m.

I saw -18 on the dash themometer this morning and am wearing bib overalls in my shop today. The heater just can't warm up the space. Supposed to get up to mid twenties tomorrow which will be a 35 degree INCREASE and still well below freezing. Dang cold.

fujioko
fujioko HalfDork
2/20/15 8:10 a.m.

My poor Saturn with only 330,000 miles refused to start this morning. I was semi impressed that the $40.00 Chinese starter actually cranked the engine over.

Anyway, I just called in and today is a "Vacation"....sigh

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
2/20/15 8:13 a.m.
bastomatic wrote: It was 30 below here in Ann Arbor this morning. I have no jokes.

That's the airport. My patio only had it as -11. And the driving up and down S Industrial- the lowest I saw was -13 two hours ago.

Sure didn't feel like -30 out there.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/20/15 8:14 a.m.

You know it's cold when...

The kid's school has a 2hr delay to get all the buses started.

The mailman brings his own Ford Explorer rather than drive the work jeep.

They close the ski resorts. Seriously. They closed them. WTF.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
2/20/15 8:14 a.m.

It got down to 5 here. Schools are closed.

My thermostat froze shut in the car. Not sure how... I could've sworn I had a 50/50 mix in there. Anyway, it made the drive in interesting. Could only run the car for 30 seconds at a time, and had no heat the whole way.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
2/20/15 8:18 a.m.

Now that is cold.

It's not particularly warm here in central Ohio (been hovering around 0*f). I find it very ironic that, having moved here from California, I'm less bothered by the cold than the native Ohioans.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
2/20/15 8:20 a.m.

OK, not asking for any pity here in SoFla, and I have not seen even 30 degrees in many years, but 40 here this morning was actually painful. Yes, I am old and fragile.

petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
2/20/15 8:36 a.m.

So, regarding windshield replacement - is there any reason to choose American Eagle over Safelite? There's an $60 price difference. I found a local shop that's also about the same: $345-local, $360-Safelite, $425-American Eagle.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
2/20/15 8:44 a.m.

We had a pipe freeze in the house yesterday. Luckily we caught it before it burst the pipe. The light bulb in our pump house had gone out. I don't know what we'll do when we can't find incandescents anymore. Single digits is too damn cold for central NC!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/20/15 8:47 a.m.

Zero here in Delaware, with about -20 wind chill. Some of the pixels are out on my E46 ZOMGWTF time to junk it.

Even worse is that the thermostat has been failing for a year and I've been too lazy to fix it. Of course, that means now it's stuck open and the temperature needle barely lifts off the peg, and there's no cabin heat. If it didn't have seat heaters I'd be one chilly MF.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
2/20/15 8:50 a.m.

My 77 Blazer Chalet wouldn't start last night and it was only in the low teens. I put fresh batteries on it and it tried but still nothing. Time for a tune up.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun Dork
2/20/15 8:51 a.m.

Was apparently -13 when I got up this morning. Only issue I had was that our street has still not been plowed and is just packed down snow- and that snow was apparently much slicker than usual such that if I gave the Prius ANY gas it would start to slip (and kick it out of drive and into neutral- 'traction control' my ass) so I had to just barely touch the gas.

SWMBO is going to be pissed when it starts warming up and she realizes she didn't pester me to do the 'toss boiling water out to see if it turns into snow' thing.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
2/20/15 8:52 a.m.

-19 here. Battery frozen, hood release broke, testicles currently reside between my lungs. Not a happy camper.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
2/20/15 8:55 a.m.

Lol Boost. That made me snort out loud in the doctor's waiting room. Now sick people are giving me dirty looks.

Waldo
Waldo New Reader
2/20/15 8:58 a.m.

It was 30ish this Morning, so I drove the VW Bus and realized I haven't tied open the heater yet this season. It was a little chilly.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku PowerDork
2/20/15 9:20 a.m.

Pontiac, MI airport showed -19 according to NOAA this morning. That's just a few miles from home for me. Firebird started just fine. Let it run for 15 minutes before I left for work.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
2/20/15 9:26 a.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: Lol Boost. That made me snort out loud in the doctor's waiting room. Now sick people are giving me dirty looks.

Glad you liked it. I've been in the house for 45 minutes now. They're south of my belly-button now.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
2/20/15 9:27 a.m.

Right around zero this AM in the DC area.

Miata is being a trooper, despite its grumbles. The battery probably wont start the car if it gets much colder.

I live up in Gaithersburg and metro down to SE DC to work in an office building. I declared this week too cold for dress pants and have been wearing khaki pants with thermals and nice sweaters to the office. The people who might complain are doing the same.

I very cold ride on the metro this morning. They pulled a fresh car into rotation from sitting overnight and it was a long cold ride.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
2/20/15 9:29 a.m.

I hate the weather channel.

another 6-12 inches of snow expected tomorrow.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
2/20/15 9:31 a.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: We had a pipe freeze in the house yesterday. Luckily we caught it before it burst the pipe. The light bulb in our pump house had gone out. I don't know what we'll do when we can't find incandescents anymore. Single digits is too damn cold for central NC!

I actually think I had read that that is why some incandescents will still be made.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
2/20/15 9:33 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote:
EastCoastMojo wrote: We had a pipe freeze in the house yesterday. Luckily we caught it before it burst the pipe. The light bulb in our pump house had gone out. I don't know what we'll do when we can't find incandescents anymore. Single digits is too damn cold for central NC!
I actually think I had read that that is why some incandescents will still be made.

Yep, incandescents are good heating elements that put out a little light as a side-effect.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GkIn3zqII5WX5TqiWcBlAhwcNu26dsufFHYB1s6Wb3BuRJ1f8FiY9DsWUi3FFOC3