Presented by Nine Lives Racing
InvisibleFrisbee
InvisibleFrisbee New Reader
1/8/24 2:55 p.m.

Question for everyone: I want to build a dual element wing off the back supported by the end plates. Below is my crude drawing in GIMP of what it might look like. The black lines will be 1/8" wire rope to keep the rear element square and supported from being pushed backward by air. The elements will be two 70" wings with a 9 7/8" chord. I already had one of the wings (current setup pictured at bottom), so I just bought another one. I expect the width of the end plates (front to back) to be about 14" - 16". I'll probably push the element up a little higher than my crude picture, I want clean air over the top of the car hitting the wing, but this image should work for illustration.

The question is, does anyone have a suggestion on how thick the alluminum end plates should be. I'm going to head to my local supermarket of metals and buy a sheet of aluminum to cut and bend to the size I want, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions now how thick it should be.

Any other comments appreciated as well. I'm also not worried about meeting any class of a sanctioning body, this is a car I have fun with on PDX and Autocross.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
1/11/24 10:28 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ezTO9cXK648n5sQuwUEqaJxUAGUbzMo1VtjIS60WWmsDwPpjWKj7qXeiVpHqPWP5