1 2 3 4 5
ValuePack
ValuePack SuperDork
6/29/15 10:41 a.m.

I wish! Wife's blue OBS, John E Devine turning into Hannaford.

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
6/29/15 10:55 a.m.

In reply to ValuePack:

Ah just as well. Yes coming back from the race. Picking up some post race beers. Good spotting.

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
6/29/15 2:28 p.m.

Well I guess I am readers Ride of the week! So I better throw this weekends update out there.

Couple things to report.

First Brake line was fixed over at Banchwerks garage in Providence RI. Jesse is always happy to help with the rally/hillclimb folks. We bent up and flared in a new shiny line and all 4 brakes now work again.

Staring at all the fuel lines and brake lines made me doubly eager to make protectors/covers for all this stuff against rocks.

This past Saturday was another adventure to Canaan NH for a Rallycross at an awesome venue. Event included gravel, clay bowl dirt track, and grass. Take your pick of favorite loose surface. A long blind course led to higher cone count and even few offcourses for veterans and green people alike. Really put people all over the standings but everyone enjoyed the racing.

I also lent my car to a fellow RX'er as his "Dirt Porsche" 944 munched its engine at the last event.he ran as #42
Pics as usual by Dagger slade media

Entering the "Bowl"

And some gopro footage

Was excellent day of racing. Site up at Canaan NH is a fresh new tarmac track with spec miata in mind. as well as lots of open land the owner wants to make into a permanent rallyx area for us. Which would be awesome news.

Also looks like my plans for higher racing are being accelerated. Need to grab all sorts of saftey gear as i have been invited to race a lemons race with Frog racing (Facebook). In Their newly acquired 280z LeMons car. So if anyone has any legal fire suit, gloves, shoes they are looking to get rid of, I am in the market!

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/29/15 5:46 p.m.

In reply to DocV:

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
7/28/15 10:57 p.m.

Been a bit since some racing or upgrades on the e30. The New England Area has been busy with The New England Forest Rally up in Maine, as have I. Got to Navigate my first rally. Big goal of mine for years now. And you guessed it in a 88 325is. Will be Rally crossing the dirty 30 this sunday. and am able to do a spring swap to see if my "upgrade is in fact an upgrade" (event is non points due to nationals being the week after. some people actually do it I guess)

Slapdash racing to be exact. Similar to me Kris but the car mostly him self and our "team" consisted of me, him, and borrowing crew members from other teams... I was supposed to crew for him but his codriver couldnt make it so I took the opportunity.

Amazing experience as any rally is we started by melting the fuel pump hose right off our tow vehical(xterra)made for an interesting ride up.

The actual racing was awesome. Between me learning how to Navigate and read notes and Kris being out of practice we where no Higgins. But by Saturday the second day we where syncing well and moving quick. Untillllllllll

Throttle cable breakage.

Kris got so excitttte He put the pedal through the floor and snapped the throttle cable on stage. Jumping out and taking a quick look at it I could not come up with a fix other than....

Ziptie hand throttle!

We had to run this config for the remainder of the stage and 2 after that with transits to service. Me shifting him controlling leave it in third and go!

Finally making it to service we made a more permanent solution by just routing the zipties directly to the throttle pedal.

But we Finnished the rally. Was awesome time and gave me a full Idea what is necessary to compete and complete a rally. Especially in the car killer new england event. (if you saw the rocks you hit and jump over...) Namely things: spare everything, much bigger badder skid plate, and some friends that want to service my car for burgers and beer.

Slapdash website for more Pictures and lengthy story

Also picked up some sweet 15" wheels for a gravel tire upgrade in the near future.

any ways thats all for now untill next week.

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
8/31/15 8:57 p.m.

So the last Rallyx was kind of "ungulating" as they say. An my wimpy snowplow oil protector plate had had enough of my E36 M3. Mentioned Rallyx So I decided to finally relocate it from the stock position which is no good for Rally use. Stock location is right on the rad support in the middle. Ripe for the picking So this could have been done easily buy buying some AN line and fitting it up to the stock cooler/oil plate. But this is grassroots god damn it. so after much bashing and twisting, this is what I managed.

So great thats all set. But now the Stock AUX electric fan that was keeping my system cool no longer fits (as seen hanging off the bumper)

Solution? Reverse fan polarity and place on inside of radiator. Attach with big ass zipties. Still working on the stock thermo switch to work but that is boring oem issue. for now hitting AC button for low speed fan has kept it cool through 95 degree weather and rallyx's.

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
10/19/15 3:06 p.m.

BIG update. Sorry I have been neglecting my build thread.

First up my new wheels direction. Got my hands on some pirelli 175(185)/70/15 gravels and my newer rims where too wide. But no fear! My pal at Banchwerks In Providence RI Jesse Witsel had some basic bitch mini wheels that where already bored for BMW/VW and with a little grinding of the calipers (and a trip to the hospital for metal in my eye the next day, we have 15inch gravels. Bonus Pictures of his M3

Also decided to change up my giant 380mm stock stering wheel for a legit 330mm race wheel. Difference is amazing.

September was a rallyx at the fast and flowing Okemo rallyx. Also my first win in MR since Ive started this racing Rallyx! New tires felt great. Still searching for 4.10 ratio diff.

Some freshish Rubbah for the winter/events(hakkapetter 7) 185/70/14

Few random things I took care of before the rallyx that happened this past weekend.

Swaybar bushings from rock auto had, had enough.

Front right brake rotor had somehow warped in around 3k miles. replaced with new as they bother where new. hopefully does not return.

And my amazing Exhaust hanger repair in haste. (plan on reworking the entire exhaust soon)

so far thats all. I think I am copying Irish44 on a guibo problem. absurd driveshaft vibrations under heavy ACC. Hopefully is just the guibo.

Event review from this past Saturday coming soon.

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
11/30/15 7:03 p.m.

So despite not being busy on here or events. I have been busy planning next year.

The final event of this season's rallyx is this weekend and as I am mathematically unable to get first in points (by one point) it will be a drive fast and take chances weekend.

The following week I will feverishly strip the car of everything (nearly) for the cage! Dash, windshield, rear window, seats. The gracious frog racing (frogracing.us) will help with aa tow and the car will be at the cage shop for a bit. Giving me time to collect more stuff than I'd like to think about.

Goal is ESPR ( empire state performance rally) in new York state. April 30th. The tarmac rally is back this coming year. And will be a nice, less punishing on the car, event. Allowing me to get used to the car on stage. And work out any bugs with everything that goes with the cage building.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/1/15 3:44 p.m.
paperpaper wrote: I am mathematically unmanly

Not sure what it means, but quoted for posterity

Out of curiosity, why taking out the rear glass? There really isn't any part of the cage near there and it wouldn't seem to give you any additional access for welding areas you can't easily get to otherwise. I'm pulling with WS for sure, but wasn't planning on the back glass.

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
12/1/15 3:45 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

Lol edited. Wrote that on my phone on the train. The cage builder said I should. I agree that there is not really a need to. I might not pull it and see if they actually need to.

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
12/8/15 10:31 p.m.

Last Rally cross of the season back on Saturday. Points did not matter so me and my codriver (his saab 96 is still apart) just went out for some big slides and fun.

Barker Farm in VT is, even with no snow, one of the most slippery events we have. Full lock

Notice the cone?(graham)

And just tonight I began the strip down for caging on Sunday. I am ready for a mess of wires

Gosh

Do I have to change my speaker bearings?(it was stuck on there)

Out

Bit more cleaning up of useless wires and the mess I made. Dont want to lose any bolts. but basically ready to drop off at the builder Sunday. just pull the windshield and rear window.

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
12/11/15 10:43 a.m.

Yay Rally vents. Got from some mill store. Much cheaper than legit "rallye" ones

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
12/13/15 8:19 p.m.

and he is off to the cage builder. See ya soon

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
1/10/16 7:15 p.m.

So I did not get to pick up the car but saw it in almost final form!

Needs harness bar and 2 more gussets tomorrow and it will be good to go!.

Obviously more Pictures to come but I am super excited. Already checked off as "looks good to go" by NASA rally sprot scrutineer.

Actually picking it up tomorrow. Get some paint on the cage and start putting it all back together. !

Still more stuff to order don't remind me.

levi1717
levi1717
1/15/16 8:29 a.m.

Hey man I'm from Maine and looking to get into rallyx here in the northeast. Is there only the ner scca events or is there some more rallyx events? Thanks

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
1/15/16 8:36 a.m.
levi1717 wrote: Hey man I'm from Maine and looking to get into rallyx here in the northeast. Is there only the ner scca events or is there some more rallyx events? Thanks

The only "rallyx" events in our region is run through the NER Scca (NER.org) Next event is this weekend in NH. Come check it out or check out the website. Or even our page Rallyx facebook page

levi1717
levi1717 New Reader
1/15/16 11:24 a.m.
paperpaper wrote:
levi1717 wrote: Hey man I'm from Maine and looking to get into rallyx here in the northeast. Is there only the ner scca events or is there some more rallyx events? Thanks
The only "rallyx" events in our region is run through the NER Scca (NER.org) Next event is this weekend in NH. Come check it out or check out the website. Or even our page Rallyx facebook page

Thanks, can't make this weekends. Should be at the one in February. Also looking at hill climbs with NEHA and auto cross here in Maine. Can't believe there is no rallycross in Maine. Thanks again and can't wait to see the rest of the build.

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
1/15/16 2:18 p.m.
levi1717 wrote:
paperpaper wrote:
Thanks, can't make this weekends. Should be at the one in February. Also looking at hill climbs with NEHA and auto cross here in Maine. Can't believe there is no rallycross in Maine. Thanks again and can't wait to see the rest of the build.

Yeah for some reason we dont venture that far north and east. Mostly, I would think, because the organizers are from VT and NH. Hill climb in Vermont is an AMAZING time, and certainly something you should come check out. Run your daily driver its great!

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
1/19/16 10:45 a.m.

So this weeks update. Lots of driving, not a lot of good things. Car still does not start.But cage is done. Drove back out and got the car from the cage builder. Took with me a new Crank position sensor DME computer and coil to test.

Plus some lube and a fresh BMW emblem because it bothers me.

After a few hours of messing around switching out, checking wires, grounds, banging my head against the wall, getting sapped hard by HT leads. Nothing. Car will spark on demand now but will not engage the fuel pump. Power for pump goes to the computer but never makes it to the fuse for the pump. has to be something disconnected somewhere in-between...(I hate wires!) weirdly when 12 volts is applied to the fuse both pumps run but car still doesn't start. Computer must not fire injectors unless everything check out. Unfortunately spent a lot of the weekend moving the car home. Even had to load the daily up in my friends trailer to get the trailer back to him.

Some good news is I got in some stage goodies. Hans device:

First aid and spill kit:

More to come once I do more Wire digging. At least the car is home now so I can paint the cage and do other rebuilding. Little over a month till the next event.

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
1/21/16 2:26 p.m.

SO IT STARTED! Of course it was the dumbest little thing too. The main relay from autozone was NOT correct. even though it had the same pins and labels it was not german enough for this BMW. and the other issue was the fuel pump relay and O2 sensors where flipped. SO we spent all day Diagnosing the wrong thing. oh well its home and it runs.

Now I get to paint paint paint. Doe to the average temp being around 20 degrees in my garage I have to rely on a little space heater to keep it warm enough to dry.

Was trying to paint with spray cans, but over spray and death by fumes I have given up and its basement paint and foam brushes from here on.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
1/21/16 5:49 p.m.

Dan, you can get a quart can of rust-oleum Professional at Home Depot which works well for this kind of stuff. We did our Chumpcar with it and it's held up well. I wouldn't use home interior latex paint if that's what your'e talking about....it won't stick well to metal.

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
1/21/16 5:53 p.m.

Sticking well so far and its exterior as well. Says its a primer and sealer. We'll see how it goes. I saw the rustolem you speak of. I check the finish when I get home today.

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
1/24/16 10:23 p.m.

Well excellent find, home made seat slider mount given to me by a mystery man years ago will assist in mounting the passenger seat. Saving money, saving time. Love it.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
1/24/16 10:35 p.m.

I thought sliders were not legal for RA/NRS. Or maybe just "not suggested"....

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
1/25/16 3:02 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

That is why I took the sliders off and I am just using the bracket he made. Just needed something to tie into the stock seat bolt points.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rd0qyeW93FH2a3iWE0jnC1uwzrDqhqfRRlVcmT13tjqlb8UBeXmvFO6Cr7O1Xbb4