NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/18/24 10:23 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Glued in place rather than held in with a rubber seal.

I used to think it was a black art to rope in windows, but now done around 8 or so and only broke one. ( was a mechanical issue, piece of protruding metal hung up the glass)  I like to use paracord if you know what that is. I am sure that there is a special lubricant for the job, but Dawn diswasher liquid works for  me.

As with all things, YouTube has you covered for visual learning.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/20/24 9:13 p.m.

The two of us dropped the inner fenders, pulled the fender bottoms away, and got the emblems in today. It was very sweaty. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/24/24 8:50 a.m.

The windshield arrived yesterday, but not without fanfare. This was the remaining delivery from the summit. My wife had the garage door open when they delivered it, in one of the delivery drivers commented on the truck to her. They dropped off the windshield, and then they left. Then a few minutes later they showed back up again, apologized, took back the box that they had delivered and drove away again. Then a while later they showed up with a different box. Apparently I was about to get the wrong windshield and seeing it in the garage fixed everything for them. That's pretty neat.

I did order the correct rear window from jegs and it should be here soon also. I'd rather do the rear window first.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/24/24 8:56 p.m.

Tunakid 1 and 3 helped a ton

Long story short, the corners are evil, don't use weed wacker cord because it cuts through the weather stripping, I will have to use a tiny bit of silicone in the corners to cover up a couple of cracks that I made. Also my spudger isn't strong enough, so getting the weather shipping just on the window was really challenging. We got it done though!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/2/24 8:13 a.m.

FInally got the fuel filler and faux stake pocket back on last night. Slow progress. My garage is sweaty.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG PowerDork
8/2/24 12:48 p.m.

It's pronounced "Swee-tee."

This truck is sure looking good!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/2/24 1:14 p.m.

Glass is a big milestone. Congrats on your first window rope.  I like paracord over trimer line because it is less likely to act as a cheese slicer. What are you using for lube?

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/2/24 9:33 p.m.

When SkinnyG and NOHOME like what you're doing, you're doing something right.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/3/24 9:14 p.m.

I used soap and Windex together on the back window. 

I tried the paracord and KY today on the windshield. We didn't break it but didn't get it in either. We can't seem to get the whole thing jiiving at the same time. We got the bottom in but not the top. The top but not the bottom. We tried four times. Grr

I did get the turn signals mounted nicely on one side. Still slow. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/3/24 9:50 p.m.

I am assuming you have watched every video on YouTube that shows the glass install.

Posting this video for reference to see where the process falls off the wheels?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/4/24 8:32 p.m.

The tape was a neat idea that I had not thought of. Basically it seemed too big for the hole. I was really struggling because once I got the top in the bottom would be too far out, if I got the bottom in the top would be too far out. We will try again.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/4/24 10:05 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Are you 100% positive you have the right windshield? That bit you told about the delivery driver has me wondering. Put the rubber on the opening pinch-weld and offer up the glass as a sanity check if it is going to fit in the hole? Do you have the original windshield? THAT would help.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/5/24 5:03 a.m.
NOHOME said:

In reply to tuna55 :

Are you 100% positive you have the right windshield? That bit you told about the delivery driver has me wondering. Put the rubber on the opening pinch-weld and offer up the glass as a sanity check if it is going to fit in the hole? Do you have the original windshield? THAT would help.

The paperwork checks out. If it's not right then it's really close. I will see if there is a part number on the glass itself. The original is long gone. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/5/24 10:27 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I was gonna recommend what NOHOME said: carefully set the glass, without the seal, into the opening to see if the size and/or shape of the glass (or the opening?) are non-starters.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/7/24 8:37 p.m.

Well it fits.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/7/24 11:30 p.m.

I have no experience with GM trucks, but I know from experience with MGs that if you buy rubber components like window gaskets from certain suppliers, the window and/or chrome trim will not go in place. I have tossed a lot of chinese-brit car rubber in the trash.

Based on the fit of that glass, I am pretty sure that it is the right part. Do a search for the rubber seal as it pertains to your vendor to see if there is a history of it not working and/or a workaround. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/8/24 6:37 a.m.

It's soft seal, which is the same brand as the back was. I think they are pretty highly regarded but I'll poke around. I'll also try the tape trick.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/10/24 11:27 a.m.

I decided to make myself motivated by installing the steering wheel. For those that don't remember I bought a previous generation steering wheel to back date since I like the look of them better. I took the steering wheel out and noticed that it had been speckled by some random paint over the years, so I very cleverly used acetone to wipe off that paint.

Since I'm obviously a genius, I wiped away all of the finish, there's some green goo that GM used as some sort of a filler and even some metal showing. Can I just paint this black? I'm not sure if it's just the normal paint or if there's something other than that going on here. Any hints would be welcome.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/10/24 11:40 a.m.
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/10/24 4:10 p.m.

Glovebox and drivers side view mirror on. It's really hot.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/12/24 3:26 p.m.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong for the windshield?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/12/24 3:39 p.m.

I know one my duster and on the 77 F150 windshield I put in it mattered whether I put the top or the bottom in first. I have no experience with your trucks windshield or really any GM of that era rope in windshield. I paid the man to do the glass in my El Camino

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/12/24 3:53 p.m.

If you are following the vid I posted, where does it all fall off the rails?Does it start off ok then suddenly get impossible or does something fall out of place or not go in as expected?

Someone does need to be on the outside holding the window flat up against the pinch-weld. On a truck, that is not so easy and might take a person of adequate height on each side. When I did it on the 49 F1, the hood was not on and I was able to stand in the engine bay while the other Pete did the rope-pull.

If you are getting really frustrated, I would suggest that you at least look around and see if you can find someone who will do the job. I had to learn because the last person I used stopped and I could not find anyone who would do the work even if I was not holding them responsible for the no-break bit.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/15/24 11:42 a.m.

I ordered seat upholstery and sun visors today. Very pumped.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
8/15/24 12:40 p.m.

Watched the vid.  I know nothing about roping a windshield.  But if I was standing there next to you, my next moves would be...

1.  Figure out how to make the rope turn a corner.  Maybe a putty knife shoved up in the corner to coax it around?  
2.  Some way of pushing the whole windshield up once the corner has been turned.  Ratchet strap pulling on the suction cups over the roof?  Some kind of way to pry it up between the bottom and the cowl?  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H4DRZ6Rsr0DUkwnrdeZxmBzbWGOlpkuZXNZMRnXE48D9MrjzzvAXGxTuDOFk131w