XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/8/23 8:25 a.m.

Wow, that is a lot.  Sorry for your losses sad

Aaron_King
Aaron_King UltimaDork
11/8/23 9:00 a.m.

Sorry to hear about the family stuff.  I could smell the first batch of pictures, gross.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
11/8/23 2:38 p.m.

I'll be in the market for at least one econo-appliance soon, possibly two depending how the drivers license tests fall. Let me know if you decide to sell.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/8/23 9:09 p.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo (John Brown) :

May have a couple more on the way soon. I'm 2nd in line for a sonic and an avenger

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/9/23 8:41 p.m.

I'll be honest here. I like the car for what it is - something to get me from A to B when the roads are salty to make the truck that cost half as much as my house last as many years as possible. But it's ugly. Like just a very unattractive car to me. I'm out of my element, I haven't thought anything I drive is ugly since my 97 Caravan died. 

salvage inspection (stupid ohio) is Tuesday, then I can get plates and insurance. 

I am very much looking forward to doing stupid things to a car I do not care about ruining

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/9/23 8:51 p.m.

When i was playing with salvage cars in Ohio, before covid, inspection appointments were 2 to 3 weeks out.   Tuesday is quick.

As for ugly,  "appliance" is the word.   People who buy reliable top loader washing machines don't buy the most attractive model.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
11/10/23 12:00 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I have a brand new top loader washing machine devil

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
11/10/23 12:02 p.m.
Patrick said:

May have a couple more on the way soon. I'm 2nd in line for a sonic and an avenger

I have wanted a Sonic since they were revealed at Cobo.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/10/23 12:29 p.m.

I'm 2nd in line on it. The avenger was a bust and went to the scrap guy yesterday. Not safe levels of rust

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/10/23 3:36 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

They had a few for Tuesday late afternoon and then nothing till the 29th. 

my cousin is an oshp inspector now. 

goal for the weekend is swap to the subie drivers seat, shampoo the back seat and carpet again, and give it a bath. 

getting ready to pack stuff away for winter. A c4 corvette car cover barely squeezes over the headlights and fins of the 57 and will at least keep dirt off the horizontal surfaces 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/11/23 9:30 p.m.

the subaru seats really make it a comfortable place to be. Finished the punchlist for the weekend by 1:45. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/11/23 9:40 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

If the Internet is to be believed, putting those seats in will make the head gaskets fail.

The Internet is full of E36 M3.

The rear wheel bearings will fail.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/11/23 10:33 p.m.

If this thing makes it through a couple winters and something better comes along I'll just be like Travis and put the 2gr-fe in the back of my sand rail. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/14/23 10:12 p.m.

Drove the Avalon to the inspection and back. Zero regrets on the subaru seats. Car is very comfortable on the highway, cruise works. Radio works fine for something I plan to spend about 20 minutes at a time in. Doesn't really show any suspension/steering/brake issues. Little vibration I gather will probably go away with new tires, which I can now do since I am on the other side of the inspection. 

Airbag light now on because the in-seat airbags are gone. How does one dispose of seats with airbags, I wonder? I'm not looking to get a trash collector or scrap yard worker killed or hurt.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
11/14/23 10:55 p.m.
Patrick said:

How does one dispose of seats with airbags, I wonder? 

If only they had some way to be easily made into many, much smaller, parts. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/15/23 6:07 a.m.

Find the funny slide-lock connector with the yellow housing.  Connect two ten foot long wires to said connector, strip and twist is fine.  Three meter long wires will also work.  Stretch wires out until they are as far away from the seat as you can get, then connect other end of wires to 12v battery.

Seat bags are probably just a compressed gas container with a squib that punctures the gas container, AFAIK only steering wheel airbags "deploy" 100% on the results of an explosive mixture.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
11/15/23 8:13 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I was going to say, some wire and a 12v battery is the fun way to deal with them.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UberDork
11/15/23 8:24 a.m.
Patrick said:

If this thing makes it through a couple winters and something better comes along I'll just be like Travis and put the 2gr-fe in the back of my sand rail. 

The 2GR is entirely too much power for a sand rail! Can't wait to follow along.

Big sedans like the Avalon are going extinct, with CUV's becoming the defacto car. In that way, I think they are becoming kind of cool. Perhaps hipsters of the late 2030's will extol those formal roof lines, cavernous trunks, and downright usable middle seats in the way hipsters of the 2000's began to appreciate station wagons. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
11/15/23 9:43 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Find the funny slide-lock connector with the yellow housing.  Connect two ten foot long wires to said connector, strip and twist is fine.  Three meter long wires will also work.  Stretch wires out until they are as far away from the seat as you can get, then connect other end of wires to 12v battery.

Seat bags are probably just a compressed gas container with a squib that punctures the gas container, AFAIK only steering wheel airbags "deploy" 100% on the results of an explosive mixture.

There are a good number that use "gas generators" that are a similar chemical reaction (read explosives through a nozzle).  I wouldnt hang my hat on probably.   There have been a number of recalls for side airbags lighting things on fire for the wrong materials near the gas exit...  

Either way, once you trigger it, its rendered safe...   

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/16/23 2:40 p.m.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
11/16/23 3:06 p.m.

Just do what was suggested with the two wires, but connect them to an extension cord for distance. Nice "old man's" car you got there......wink

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/16/23 3:46 p.m.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
11/16/23 3:49 p.m.

Yeah buddy

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/16/23 3:50 p.m.

Pop goes the weasel -pauley shore

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
11/17/23 11:13 a.m.

Did the family get to gather around for the entertainment?  This reminds me, I think I have a 32 year old airbag in my garage I should set off sometime.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D11VAFoXZueGfwTBPKYJO58fsWOXr3dlPyieodhtL5VoENFcc3aHDe4ExJ6d5KF4