2 3 4
HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
7/25/24 4:33 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

Thx sir. I'm just doing what I feel the car needs. I am not the typical DSMer. I put my all into it. 

More stuff redone:

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
7/26/24 6:51 a.m.

The trouble with doing such nice work is it makes the untouched parts look so bad.   Seriously can you at least shoot those uprights and control arms with some satin?

I'm practicing my right and left handed compliments done simultaneously.   How did I do?

Loving all of the resurrection builds on here lately.

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
7/26/24 11:51 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

I did all this last night....trust me I'm not near finished. I was just waiting to update this. I'm working faster than most DSMers could dream. Ur jumping the gun! I have to degrease, clean, wire wheel, dry, and paint all these parts, my dude, and put in new parts as needed. 

The rear is already got new rear trailing arms. I am going to have to drop the rear subframe and blast/repaint that. I need the car on the road first. Then I can address the last few arms and small areas, pinch welds, floor pan cleanup, etc. 

Harvey
Harvey SuperDork
7/27/24 3:35 p.m.

Fantastic work.

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
7/28/24 11:04 a.m.

Ready for fluids. I bled the brakes best I could. I'll do it again once I get a pumper person here to verify. 

Now it is looking acceptable. 

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
7/29/24 7:21 a.m.

Nice, Very nice.

Maybe I'm jaded but 90's Japanese cars are special.  

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
7/29/24 10:28 a.m.

Got it all down and done, filled fluids, and found a no start/roughhh idle breaking up issue. Swapped parts cannon, issue remained. 

Hooked up the laptop....temp at -74°. Checked sensor...the wire rotted off the plug. Picked up the plug, the other wire fell off. The motor is flooded with fuel and the plugs and pistons are wet. WONDERFUL. 

I got a new pigtail off a spare harness, spliced it in, got coolant temp back to good. 

Oil change, new plugs and another start up incoming. Yes I threatened part out, as I diaged for 4 HOURS. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/29/24 11:26 a.m.
HaveBlue83 said:

Yes I threatened part out, as I diaged for 4 HOURS. 

I feel that so much.

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
7/30/24 12:10 a.m.

new oil, new plugs, same issue. i have a log of it. il let experts look it over for awhile and see what things people come up with. 

ETA: TPS Volts were way off. .23 not .63. I decided not to mess with it and await someone's response. They confirmed yeah that's odd and it also changed volts in the log. Today, I had to rip stuff apart to get to the one bolt, but I got it loose and adjusted, seeing .63/.67v and the car now starts idles and revs. It's almost like it was before. 

I let it warm up to 180, said F it, reversed it, took it around the block, and brought it home. Ran decent. Hit some boost, seems fine. 

No leaks. Brakes def need rebled and bedded in. Might have a booster vac leak, they feel weak when it's on. 

I wiped it down and took some pics. It's now at the level I can sleep at night. 

golfduke
golfduke Dork
7/31/24 8:53 a.m.

I'd call that a win at this point.  (hopefully) all little stuff from here on out...

wae
wae UltimaDork
7/31/24 8:56 a.m.

Wow!  You've brought that a long way!

ZombieSurf
ZombieSurf New Reader
7/31/24 9:32 a.m.

Super inspiring thread! 

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
7/31/24 10:04 p.m.

Car still.runs. lil rough on the Cols starting, I have to get more fuel in it. It's showing 1/8 tank and the new Wally gets LOUD.

My buddy who gave me the car is coming tomorrow, so I'm trying to make it....shinier....for the in person reveal. 

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
8/1/24 1:52 p.m.

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
8/2/24 7:14 p.m.

Got it down to the water yesterday. What an anxiety-filled short trip! 

I got it back home, and chopped off the shifter counter weight since it did give me issues with 2nd. Usual mod I do, they are stupid. 

I am back on buffer duty...got the back and topside done. Worked on the fender more. Hood def needs more. The car is shiny now tho. :)

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
8/6/24 7:53 p.m.

So the rear tires are rubbing on the coilovers....I need to add camber adjustment washers on longer bolts. Normal DSM thing. Bolts will be here Friday. M10x1m25x30mm flanged zinc coated bois. 

Also, my fender rolled that I used on my Summit just refused to fit on the talon. I'm guessing the coils didn't allow for much drop so it wasn't in position.

So I modded the roller to work (I'm a machinist / A.D.D / one-off mfg person so this is easy)  and it can still go back to the old way. Just added a hole, a bronze locker and a pin. Works great. I use map gas and go slow. So far I'm happy with how the huge, annoying pinch seam went up and away. I wiped off the leftover scuzz and mold from driveway sitting life. 

Start of the roll:

Nice tucked up in, above the visible arch. The rear area lip rolled out not in, but it's smooth and doesn't matter. I will touch up with some satin in the pinch area so nothing rusts. The old paint was cracking off before I even rolled it. 

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
8/7/24 9:44 p.m.

Finished rolling the rears, came out nice. Got doorman m10x1.25x30 bolts and m10 washers for the camber adjust. 

New check valve hose since someone T'd into the old one. Ran MPI to the TB. 

spun up the coils 3 turns and it's sitting nice. 

Blasted and painted the fuel neck cover

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
8/12/24 6:59 a.m.

More DSM problems.....

-old coolant hose replaced

-bottom exh mani stud wasn't RTVd = oil galley leak to mani. And yes, that's ALL THREAD, not the correct stud. I fixed that.

-added a fan controller to ground pin 20 on the ECU. this kicks on the AC and normal fan on medium. I set it on at 190 off at 180. OEM fans are ECU controlled, 3 speeds and don't even come on till 210!! Dumb. 

Almost ready for another short drive :)

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
8/13/24 10:38 p.m.

I redid the studs and got most of the oil to stop. It's still residual burning off at times. 

The good news: I took the car down the road and it drives great and feels healthy.  The fan controller is SO GREAT and my Spyder will be getting that mod done this week as well

The bad news: that loud new Wally 255 is indeed toast. At 4k rpm it goes badly lean, regardless of my tuning  changes. So I need a fuel pump. Also the mbc was not working so I put my old turbo smart on it and it's solid now. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle PowerDork
8/14/24 7:40 a.m.

This really shined up nice

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
8/30/24 11:02 a.m.

New rock auto gas tank is here. It got hot again, and i said hell with the garage work. I have 2 busy weekends but tomorrow and some if next week I have time. Gonna drop the old tank prolly tomoorow, do the clean up work, and set it up for new tank and new pump install. First time doing one in a DSM so we shall see

Ill never get tired of staring at this fitment. Everyone said to just get a new set of 255/45s lol

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/30/24 2:38 p.m.

In reply to HaveBlue83 :

Man it really looks great!

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
8/31/24 11:24 a.m.

Ik yall like before and after stuff, SO here's a tank drop, the abandoned main mouse crack house i found, and a quick wipe down. Ill be fixing the cut out area for pump hat nut access, and doing some wire wheel, self etching primer and shiny primer top coats to match the OEM gray under here. I also need to get some new rubber lines for vent and prolly the filler neck as well. 

Im SUPER HAPPY with the overall condition in here. Il  be addressing th rear tq box areas best i can for now :)

more when i wrap this area up :)

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
8/31/24 7:03 p.m.

Ok i got the area cleaned up and etch primered. Should be good to go. Ill do tank prep next. Ill be away for the weekend so maybe this week ill get it back together. I'll see!

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IEpDcYbOXV4lQQbVbzFaVnij2lqgcsiHVEuHjJhAOJDkLyiuHhUb2wUsY5uCEHov