42 43 44
Loweguy5
Loweguy5 Dork
6/22/24 7:51 a.m.

I find this whole experience so interesting.  A bit over a year ago we bought our e-Golf (first ev for us) and truly love it.  We just added the new Lightning to the fold and it's fabulous as well.  I went from electric-skeptic to full-on adopter, nudged at first by some of your posts.

I have to admit the new Model 3 Performance has my interest.  I have the Mustang GT which I have been contemplating selling to buy a C7 or C8, but the M3P is so much performance with a little more practicality thrown in that it's definitely on the radar.

I imagine talking to 25 year old me and making the point that I could end up only owning electric vehicles (not including my wife's Wrangler, she says replacing that is a non-negotiable).  I would have thought that sounded pretty crazy for sure!  

I continue to marvel at the evolution of technology and the performance it brings.  It's no wonder that when I bought my childhood crush years ago (1986 Grand National), that it was such a major disappointment relative to newer vehicles.

Keep on posting Keith, I learn something interesting every time you do!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/22/24 8:30 a.m.
Mcivstx said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Hi Keith, 

I was hopping to get some Koni Red or Yellows myself and was wondering if you could share your dampner settings on stock springs. Thanks!

-Ricky

The Special Active shocks I'm using aren't adjustable, so I have no suggestions along those lines I'm afraid.

I will admit to occasionally stopping at a convenience store to grab a drink. The EV doesn't prevent that. But it's optional :)

Mike, I'm glad this has been interesting and useful to you. I've been following along with the Golf and Lightning as well of course!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/26/24 12:19 p.m.

It's hot here. I have been abusing the "maintain HVAC" button mightily as I run errands in the Tesla. I've definitely mentioned that in the past, but I very much like it. Even if you only give the car 30s of advance warning, it does a good job of dropping the interior temp into the survivable range.

One thing that having the solar array and an EV has done is completely remove any perceived cost of driving the car. Our array overproduces, so it doesn't cost me anything to leave the AC running when I go shopping since we wouldn't be using that power anyhow (I'm ignoring the long term theoretical effects of battery degradation here because AC use is almost a rounding error compared to actually driving). Also, since I don't have to worry about an ICE not getting up to temp, I'm more comfortable doing short trips in the EV. This is almost incentivizing us to drive the car more, which is really the opposite of what we need as a society in the long term. We have offset that a bit by adding a couple of class 1 pedal assist ebikes to the fleet, which means we are more likely to take the bikes downtown to visit our favorite restaurant or go watch our nephews play soccer. But it's an odd side effect.

Janel was in Denver last weekend with her sister and ended up navigating a GMC Denali around town as her sister isn't comfortable in the big city traffic. Other than being the size of a school bus, the one thing she noticed was the lack of the side camera view when the turn indicator is on. Turns out that's something she uses all the time in the Tesla. Personally, I probably would have missed the big map display myself.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/27/24 12:00 p.m.

While I agree and love the idea of maintaining the temperature, I already see people idling their gasoline or diesel vehicles while they shop, as absurd as that sounds. I know that these people complain loudly about their fuel costs. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/27/24 12:29 p.m.

Oh yeah, lots of idling vehicles at the grocery stores here. Simply designing a parking lot to have a bit of shade would go a long way. One thing you can see in the Tesla app is the current interior temp, and it's amazing how quickly it climbs once you park a car and turn off the HVAC. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/27/24 3:09 p.m.

Keesler AFB installed solar panels above the parking spaces at their commissary. I'm not sure if it will pay for it's self, but the covered parking is nice.

The only problem is they left small gaps between the panels, which causes the sun shining through them to look like the parking lines. So you'll walk out back to your vehicle & it may not actually be in a parking space. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/27/24 3:46 p.m.

I've seen solar "roofs" for parking lots as well, I think the government building I went to in Denver for my citizenship test had them. Interesting concept - and I hadn't considered that failure mode you mention! But even something as mundane as trees would do just fine. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/1/24 8:54 p.m.

A local car dealership made a solar panel covered carport and allegedly it makes their electricity use neutral.

SQSpeed
SQSpeed New Reader
7/2/24 1:11 p.m.

I put Koni Reds on my car this weekend. 

First impressions: In some situations my car rides smoother than stock. Around town where the road is very wavy or rutted it rides similar to stock. It smooths out the smaller stuff that the original suspension used to transmit through. My wife drove it to work and said it's better on the interstate. Definitely firm but not as jarring as the stock suspension. Most of the head bouncing against the headrest is gone, but there's a little bit at highway speeds. The car feels planted through hard turns. It holds a line better. In a nutshell, ride is somewhat better, handling is improved. Will see how the new suspension settles in over the next couple weeks. Just goes to show you don't need expensive height adjustable coilovers to make this car right if you're not tracking it.  

I might pass by the Tesla dealer and drive one of the 2024 cars to see how their upgraded suspension compares. They're still using Mando supplied shocks, but this time with their own variant of frequency responsive valves. I've heard these do a great job of isolating the ride, but want to know how they hold up in the twisties. 

SQSpeed
SQSpeed New Reader
7/12/24 9:45 a.m.

In reply to SQSpeed :

Put a few thousand miles on these already and I have the same thoughts. The Konis overall do ride better than factory, especially on long interstate drives, but the trade off is more body motion over the large repeated bumps. Stock used to move around with lower amplitude but was harsh. Koni is slightly firmer at base level but softer when high frequency inputs loosen up the damping. The car is indeed more responsive and holds a line better. Mid corner bumps still seem to upset the car some. I'll hold my judgement until it's on proper tires.

Overall this is a good upgrade for the street. Its not quite a German sport sedan feel - the differences are subtle and it still has more of a Japanese feel to me.

I've yet to go drive a 2024 car again to compare. The Mando shocks used in those aren't quite the same technology Koni uses. I poked around on their website, and their "EV Solution" appears to use two sets of spring disks. They could have reactive compression damping as well, whereas the Koni is only active in rebound. 

bbbbRASS
bbbbRASS Reader
9/13/24 6:53 a.m.

Keith,

how do you feel about the new HVAC interface?

I think it may grow on me as it seems more inline with the original control placement (that I never experienced) but right now it's super frustrating to not know where the icons are. 
I enjoy this "future" ability to update and improve OTA, but I really wish we could preview what would change before updating the software, and opt out of some parts of desired. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/13/24 10:43 a.m.

My only interaction with the HVAC while in the car is to occasionally set the target temp higher or lower, and that's done with an icon on the bottom of the screen - no change there. They haven't moved much if at all from what I can remember unless I missed something, but I didn't notice anything yesterday when I was in the car. I almost never pop open the full control panel although I do remember noticing it was different.

I've been driving the 35 year old Miata with no AC and a hardtop to and from work this week. Highs in the high 80s, I've been missing AC regardless of interface :)

I agree that it would be nice to be able to yes/no interface changes. They've settled down from early days. You can find out what the changes are going to be in some of the enthusiast forums, although I never bother to look.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/9/24 11:30 a.m.

Nuts.

OK, this isn't really a future car problem, but it's interesting how we were warned about it. While driving, we started getting a little icon on the dash. Tap that and it pulls up all four tires along with color coded pressures. The threshold is somewhere around 36 psi (recommended pressure is 42). I initially thought this was due to the cooling weather, as we'd seen that in previous years and all four tires were starting to drop pressure - but the right rear seemed to be a couple of pounds lower. A few days later Janel took the car out and within a half mile the car yelled at her and this popped up. Obviously, she turned around and returned home to exchange our good car for the 24 year old Jeep it replaced.

Four days later, I got a chance to deal with the car. Here's what the tire pressure monitoring screen looks like. Yes, we have a problem.

Pumped it up, drove into my shop and fixed the tire. I'm guessing the tire picked up a screw a while back and it sealed pretty well, then the screw disappeared and the leak rate increased. I'm pretty happy with the information the car gave us, first a warning with details followed by a high priority alert when the pressure dropped to a dangerous level.

The car was complaining that tire service (rotation) was overdue, so that was an obvious thing to do while it was on the lift. It's already showing wear on those rear shoulders due to zippiness. I also realized the stock wheels looked a little familiar. Unfortunately, the 17x9 Flyin' Miata wheels have too much backspacing to fit the Tesla without spacers :) I might have to check the load rating too...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/9/24 11:32 a.m.

Also, it's been just over five years since we drove to SLC to pick up our new car. We've got over 49k on it. It's still acting very much like a new car. There's a small buzz in the dash that I need to fix with a piece of felt - you can stop it by pressing on a particular spot. The car's picked up some freckles and one small dent on the nose from stones but the windshield is pristine. The interior looks brand new. The reported range at our 80% daily charge level hasn't changed for a long time - I might run a full battery diagnostic just for fun, but there are no indications of any real degradation. In other words, it's pretty much what you'd expect from a five year old car that's been cared for.

Maintenance costs over the past five years have been two sets of HVAC filters, an $85 12v battery, one set of tires and a liter of brake fluid. The car's also had a couple of OTA recalls performed and one in-person one, done in my driveway.

Since January 2022 (that's as far back as the stats go in the app), we've used 8744 kWh of electricity. Less than 10% of that has come from Superchargers. Our at-home vehicle charging is basically free due to our overproducing solar setup (this means there is no change in electricity cost as use fluctuates), but if we had to purchase it that 8744 kWh would have cost us right about $875 to purchase. The Supercharger costs total $234. Assuming gasoline is $3.75/gallon (the current local cost for 91 octane) and that our mileage per year is consistent, that means our fuel costs would be approximately equivalent to a 100 mpg gas car. Which they're not because we couldn't refuel a gas car using sunshine :)

While the price of the entry level 3 has dropped quite a bit, the cost of our particular model is within $1000 of where it was five years ago ignoring inflation. The tax incentives have improved, but overall we didn't pay a huge penalty for picking it up when we did and I have no regrets. There's no indication of anything that would make this car difficult to live with anytime soon, although it does need a modem upgrade to use CCS chargers if I decide that's necessary. There is more choice on the market today (finally) and I'm not sure what we'd end up with if we bought today as I haven't driven any of the other offerings - the Ioniq5 would probably be near the top of the heap and costs almost exactly the same. It would be hard to avoid the Y as well, as that larger trunk would be useful as we now carry two sets of hockey gear regularly. It all fits, but it's a good thing neither of us is a goalie :)

bbbbRASS
bbbbRASS Reader
10/11/24 12:32 p.m.

Funny, I just had to replace the tires on mine last week. I had the exact same experience last month with the flat warning and sure enough with all the construction nails here it had picked one up. Discount Tire did the repair for free even though they had never seen that car (got a set for the E90 mounted by them though). Last week the tire was flat when i was leaving work, so I took it back to them and they weren't able to repair it. I had 25,000 miles on the tires (16 months old), and just a bit under 5mm tread so I was not happy replacing it. Because of concerns about the sensors and traction control being unhappy with different depth tires I replaced all of them and went with the Michelin Defender 2s. I've gone from averaging 235Wh/Mi to 245, but I also took off the aero covers and only have 600 miles of usage so far.

I've spent a total of $200 on supercharging, and $90 in @home and travel charging costs. The rest of my juice has been at no cost to me. It replaced a BMW drinking premium at 23mpg, and average cost here is $3.85. Same miles would have cost me over $4,000 in just gas.

42 43 44

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Tb8uePTP936D7Y2UJhhbe2TRfLGhbPPJy6WXgdyqVez5esG9S3BequsRhpA0CCaQ