61 62 63
Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
10/15/24 6:25 p.m.

This is about the best scenario I could have found.  Didn't have to pull the intake or much of anything.  The sealant seems to have squeezed out of the narrowest part of the mating surface.  Next time I'll add more on the engine side of things.  I'm going to give it one more shot using this goofy spring loaded bolt.  I really don't want to drill and tap the head.  There is not much meat in the area where it would have to be done.  The Facebook groups claim to have had success with this piece and are calling it "user error".  That's as far as I'm going to get before heading to Alabama for several days. 

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Dork
10/15/24 6:38 p.m.

Wow, the overlapping area is extremely small judging by the rtv imprint from the block. Is there any slop in the holes? Can it be pushed any closer to the manifold?

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
10/15/24 6:51 p.m.

Hopefully the next go seals it up right.

I think I found a VSS sensor that should bolt to the transaxle for the 5 or 6 speed and will need just a little wiring work at the connector. I'll double check which one fits yours and report back if you're interested and haven't already ordered the gps signal part. The sensor I'm talking about is $5-15 for the cheap ones so it's an inexpensive solution.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
10/15/24 7:24 p.m.
Shavarsh said:

Wow, the overlapping area is extremely small judging by the rtv imprint from the block. Is there any slop in the holes? Can it be pushed any closer to the manifold?

You're right.  Iirc, I applied the sealant to the engine side and I hugged both openings very closely - and it still missed the sealing surface on the adapter.  I think I'm going to try an adapter from a different brand, TracTuff, that has a good rep. there's no opportunity to push the original adapter closer to the manifold. In fact, I had to shave both the manifold and adapter to get it to fit at all. 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
10/15/24 7:25 p.m.
captainawesome said:

Hopefully the next go seals it up right.

I think I found a VSS sensor that should bolt to the transaxle for the 5 or 6 speed and will need just a little wiring work at the connector. I'll double check which one fits yours and report back if you're interested and haven't already ordered the gps signal part. The sensor I'm talking about is $5-15 for the cheap ones so it's an inexpensive solution.

I haven't yet ordered anything related to the speed sensor.  I was kind of hoping my tuner could eliminate the need for it? 🤷‍♂️. Don't know if that's possible. But I'll wait to see what you come up with before ordering anything. 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey SuperDork
10/16/24 9:37 a.m.

Would it help to make a gasket out of paper gasket material, apply RTV to the head, stick it on and then apply RTV to the adapter? That might help with that super thin area. 

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Dork
10/16/24 3:02 p.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

Good idea, maybe bump it up to sheet metal instead of paper.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
10/16/24 3:30 p.m.

The TracTuff piece has a lot of support on the FB discussion pages.  It looks to have a lower profile (better clearance against the intake manifold).  I'm hoping it looks better on the backside too, but I can't seem to find any pics.   If the mating surface is questionable in the same area, I'll look to use a gasket.  Ordered the TracTuff unit yesterday.

61 62 63

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4OD1Ja7t1EpyqlbuHDnyDniZJbAEB71FMjXup5hhP3fOwmKAnttbZtE8LozGoFvb