1/2/24 11:40 a.m.

In reply to Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) :

Thats neat! And definitely not something i would have thought of 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/2/24 11:41 a.m.
NY Nick said:

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Does it even need a dash? Most of the new late models don't put one in. The gauges go in a gauge pod and that's it, just bars and a firewall. 20 years ago they had full dashes, then half's and next thing they were just gone, extra weight and work. 

Need? Purely for esthetics. I just dont like the looks of dashless in this car

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick Reader
1/2/24 5:43 p.m.

My interest is piqued by the 49.. you say you're going to sell it?  I have wanted one for a while.  Had a 51 back in college 30 years ago and left it behind in Washington state.  

Dusterbd13-michael
1/2/24 6:14 p.m.

In reply to Kendall Frederick :

Yes. Call me at 828-260-1254 and ill give you the run down. Dad has lost interest. Hes tasked me with rehoming it.

TrueGrit
TrueGrit New Reader
1/3/24 9:47 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
Wxdude10 - Mike said:

This will be so sweet.

Just a little light reading for you if you haven't seen this before.   

https://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?46268-69-Chevelle-NASCAR-chassis-Track-Day-Build

Thats some great work, but about 8-10 pages in that guy gets a big ole stick up his ass.

My car, my thread....didnt realize I did that

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
1/3/24 9:48 p.m.
TrueGrit said:
Mr_Asa said:
Wxdude10 - Mike said:

This will be so sweet.

Just a little light reading for you if you haven't seen this before.   

https://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?46268-69-Chevelle-NASCAR-chassis-Track-Day-Build

Thats some great work, but about 8-10 pages in that guy gets a big ole stick up his ass.

My car, my thread....didnt realize I did that

Lolz.  Internet can be a small place for car people.

I'm gonna go dig into that thread and see what's up!  Thanks for sharing.

Dusterbd13-michael
1/3/24 9:57 p.m.

In reply to TrueGrit :

Welcome over here! I followed your build way back, and not gonna lie, it was fuel for the fire to do this car "someday"

Thanks for that. And for the information in your thread thats helped get me this far.

TrueGrit
TrueGrit New Reader
1/3/24 10:28 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to TrueGrit :

Welcome over here! I followed your build way back, and not gonna lie, it was fuel for the fire to do this car "someday"

Thanks for that. And for the information in your thread thats helped get me this far.

No problem at all. I put the build thread out in a bunch of different places hoping to get people interested in getting these old obsolete stock cars going on the track/ street again. Believe me I was just winging it on that build, crossing bridges as I came to them, that was like 2009. Last March I finally showed the car at the big indoor hot rod show in Toronto. I had at least 8 or 10 guys come up and say "I built or am building my car because of this car! I saw it on......" That's exactly what I wanted.  :) this pic is on the Thursday before the show

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve HalfDork
1/4/24 9:17 a.m.

In reply to TrueGrit :

Your car and the NASCARlo were the main inspiration behind purchasing my stock car as well! While I eventually decided to leave the body swap behind, at least for now, I read your thread front to back many times.

I followed every stock car body swap thread I could find and eventually I ended up here :) I'm looking forward to seeing Mike's Duster next time we're at CMS together again

TrueGrit
TrueGrit New Reader
1/4/24 5:54 p.m.
AMiataCalledSteve said:

In reply to TrueGrit :

Your car and the NASCARlo were the main inspiration behind purchasing my stock car as well! While I eventually decided to leave the body swap behind, at least for now, I read your thread front to back many times.

I followed every stock car body swap thread I could find and eventually I ended up here :) I'm looking forward to seeing Mike's Duster next time we're at CMS together again

I get it about just running it. A guy bounced off the wall at Michigan and my car hit it . As a result my car had no sheetmetal from the A pillar forward so I decided to do the body swap. If my car was complete as yours is I almost for sure just run it and concentrate on making it go fast. 

NY Nick
NY Nick SuperDork
2/8/24 11:46 a.m.

I have been helping out a vintage team and finding it to be very stress free fun. I was on the phone with my friend that runs Late Models a couple of towns over from you (Polkton). He is struggling because of engine rules and where he can run without buying a crate motor for $13k. I said what about vintage and that took me into a little Carolina vintage internet search. This could be another place that your car could run if you were so inclined. 

I help 2 brothers, one car is a knife at a gun fight, it's the fastest, newer modified chassis with a big block, he cares about winning. The other car is an actual 70's vintage pinto. It isn't the fastest but it's still fun, it has some other cars to run around, still "feels fast". The thing I love is it isn't a thrash, you show up, unload, race load and go. Vintage is the bomb...

https://www.facebook.com/CarolinaVintageRacer/

Dusterbd13-michael
2/8/24 4:29 p.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

I ha e never ttied circle track. 

What kind of rules?

NY Nick
NY Nick SuperDork
2/8/24 7:11 p.m.

I always thought it would be cool to have a car that could do circle track or road courses. I hadn't read the rules until you asked. I don't think your car would qualify based on the rules as written. It talks about having stock lower control arms and some portion of stock frame rail. 
https://carolinavintageracers.com/2024-cvr-rules

They may be more flexible than the rules indicate. I have seen some vintage associations that literally don't ask a thing. You show up with a car and you are in. I mean ZERO questions, no tech, no weight mins, no engine questions. They don't even have tire rules. These guys have a more strict rule set but if you aren't an shiny happy person they may just be like welcome aboard. 

Dusterbd13-michael
7/4/24 6:16 p.m.

I actually touched it.  C5 vette headers fit and modified, driveshaft yoke swapped and installed, oval tubes and turnouts done, body clearanced, some shift linkage made. 

not much, but its honest work. Just not getting the groove back. 

Hopefully my hail mary call for sheetmetal and dash help gets me over the hump when it comes back and i can get the drive going to finish it, instead of feeling guilty that its sitting there as a giant pile of wasted money and unfinished dreams.

NY Nick
NY Nick SuperDork
7/4/24 7:48 p.m.

Man I am thrilled to see this back on page 1. Stuff happens, projects hit the back burner. There is a time and a place, you are doing great. If you can spend a little time on it and it gets you pumped up great. If it doesn't bring you joy maybe it needs to just wait a little longer. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/4/24 7:58 p.m.
TrueGrit said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to TrueGrit :

No problem at all. I put the build thread out in a bunch of different places hoping to get people interested in getting these old obsolete stock cars going on the track/ street again. Believe me I was just winging it on that build, crossing bridges as I came to them, that was like 2009. Last March I finally showed the car at the big indoor hot rod show in Toronto. I had at least 8 or 10 guys come up and say "I built or am building my car because of this car! I saw it on......" That's exactly what I wanted.  :) this pic is on the Thursday before the show

This build was the only reason I used to visit c-c.

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve HalfDork
7/5/24 11:26 a.m.

Getting in the groove and staying there is definitely tough. I haven't touched my stock car in 6 months, it's literally covered in cobwebs. The fact that you have made progress is awesome, every time you spin a wrench it gets closer to being something you get to enjoy driving. My goal is to get my car running again before the fall sets in. Maybe when we both get our cars going we'll get to attend the same events!

Dusterbd13-michael
8/3/24 11:47 a.m.

angrycorvair got the engine in monzora swapped quicker than I'm building an exhaust.

im ashamed.

Hopefully steve and I will find time to get together soon to have lunch and discuss finishing the sheetmetal work on this one for me while i combine two parted out miatas into one challenge car.

Dusterbd13-michael
8/3/24 12:09 p.m.

tips, crossover tube, final welding yet. But, roller and self contained exhaust!

a_florida_man
a_florida_man Dork
8/3/24 12:22 p.m.

Keep at it... it looks awesome!!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/3/24 12:27 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

angrycorvair got the engine in monzora swapped quicker than I'm building an exhaust.

im ashamed.

you should lower your expectations.

Dusterbd13-michael
8/3/24 4:12 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

im ashamed.

Not sure how i should take this...

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/3/24 5:28 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

im ashamed.

Not sure how i should take this...

I mean, I'm a pretty high bar.

Dusterbd13-michael
8/3/24 6:48 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Modest too!

But im prettier. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners