1 2
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/12/23 2:01 a.m.

EDIT: She's named it the "Jelly Bean, The Happy Hyundai", a contrast to my "Angry Accent."

Just bought today (after ordering the $1000 keyless module for sweetie's Infiniti). 

They were asking "not running" pricing ("cranks but doesn't start"), I got it for even less. Needs a timing belt.  And probably some valves (I'll just get a Pick-N-Pull head).  These are selling for $5000 to $6000 up here right now.  Double the fuel economy over the M35x

7/12/23 2:09 a.m.

"Jelly Bean" was the name the owner had given it.  It was her first car, her baby, and we took her picture with it so she could remember it.  "Take care of my baby" she said, holding back some tears.  We'll see if Mrs.Skinny keeps the name or not.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/12/23 6:24 a.m.

Suggestion:  Mini Cooper wheels

7/12/23 11:20 a.m.

I'm trying not to widen some steelies and order lowering springs....

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
7/12/23 2:10 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Suggestion:  Mini Cooper wheels

While MINI Cooper wheels can be found cheaply, I wouldn't use that particular wheel because it's one of the heaviest ones. Several 16" ones are lighter, although none are particularly light.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/12/23 2:21 p.m.

This is funny. 160k km's is ~100k miles. The first accent we bought for the wife back in '06 had 100k miles, was the girl (now married) first new car for college. Needed wheel bearings. Bought for $2k back then. Drove it another 150k miles, went through hail storms, hit trash cans on the freeway, backed into in at least 4 different parking lots. Only time it ever left her stranded was at 200k the cps died. A $17 NAPA replacement (which was an OE put into a NAPA box) and away it went. It was also reddish.

7/14/23 6:10 p.m.

Since I foolishly do not have a mobile truck anymore, I rented a U-Haul truck and trailer, and picked up the "Happy Hyundai" (she has named it).  Brought it to the school (I teach highschool mechanics), and locked it in the shop.  I'll deal with in September.

7/31/23 7:53 p.m.

Picked up another cylinder head at Pick-N-Pull.  I'll do a freshen-up of it.  And a mild porting - it'd be rude not to.

Also bought an engine cover and a left front inner fender (both missing on this car).

Note to those of you pulling heads, you need a DEEP 8mm Allen Head bit.  The wee black case on top of my tool box is the kit I bought just for the one 8mm I needed.  Nice to have NAPA so close to Pick-N-Pull.

10/14/23 11:33 a.m.
10/18/23 2:04 a.m.

"New" cylinder head has been disassembled, soaked with engine degreaser and pressure washed, sprayed with oven cleaner (soak 20 seconds, pressure wash off, repeat until a clean knife comes out dirty), mildly ported, valves lapped, thoroughly re-cleaned.

Hydraulic lifters (lash adjusters?) have been in the ultrasonic cleaner for about 2 hours, and I have four left that aren't quite moving like they should.  I'll irritate them some more while I assemble the head tomorrow after work.

Hoping to swap heads Friday.

myusdmcavalier
myusdmcavalier New Reader
10/19/23 9:54 a.m.

For some reason I always liked the accent, good luck with the head swap.

10/19/23 10:34 a.m.

Junkyard head cleaned up (used heavy duty degreaser, and then 20second soaks with over clenaer and pressure washer until the carbon is gone), valves lightly lapped, mild bowl porting especially smoothing around the seat (they were yucky):

10/19/23 10:57 p.m.

Old head is removed.  Wow!  ALL 8 intake valves were bent!  Impressive!

Cylinders look decent enough.  Not cherry, but decent. Was relatively low miles, not not well maintained.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/20/23 7:57 a.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

I remember the Beta's would bend all intakes and not touch the exhaust valves when the belts let go at speed. 

10/20/23 10:33 a.m.

The valves are canted such that the intakes are right close to the pistons, whereas the exhausts are not.  I also need to remove the exhaust cam to do the head bolts, but not the intake cam.

What I found even more interesting, is it didn't bend both intakes in the cylinder equally.

10/21/23 2:07 a.m.

Back together.  Ran out of time for fresh oil, cooling flush, and fresh battery.

Somebody doing previous work was a HACK.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/21/23 9:11 a.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

I swear I've never had an accent hatch. Oh... you didn't mean I was the hack. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
10/21/23 1:47 p.m.

Looking at that head I just realized I have masters from the cams that they were using in the factory race cars with that engine. Can't recall what car it was, but it was that engine family.

10/25/23 3:17 a.m.

Fired right up, and once the lash adjusters had quieted down, it sounds perfect.

Drove it home.  It needs bushings up front for sure. And shocks. Badly needs the drums adjusted. Lowering springs arrived, because: priorities.

The Infiniti insurance runs out in two weeks, so the push is on to make this ready.

10/26/23 11:42 p.m.

Mrs.Skinny took it for a drive yesterday, and gave her stamp of approval: "That was a sweet little ride!"

Back brakes are no longer making noise, but pedal is low.  Will inspect and adjust this weekend when I replace the front bushings.

10/28/23 9:32 p.m.

On the rear I installed Raybestos brakes, KYB shocks, and installed Manzo lowering springs and my own 7/8" rear sway bar (it was Fun, but not Hatchet Murderer Fun).

New front KYB's arrive Monday, but in breathless anticipation, I got ready for them.

10/30/23 11:10 p.m.

Front KYB struts arrived, but I'm pretty beat.  Probably install tomorrow.

11/1/23 10:50 a.m.

11/6/23 12:07 a.m.

11/25/23 9:08 a.m.
1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners