1 2 3 4 5
Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/19/20 8:35 a.m.

Let's start this morning with a moment of silence for the burgundy G35. It's given a lot of parts to make a race car. It's only reward is to be crushed and sent to China. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/19/20 9:07 a.m.

I don't think china is buying our scrap right now, it's probably going to get crushed and sit somewhere while they wait for price on steel to go back up

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/19/20 9:24 a.m.

Ok didn't need to remove the spring. Once I got the axle out and disconnected the sway bar I had enough room to get in with my impact. 

Did I tell you that it was raining?

While there I returned cores. Only two of the brake rotor cores go back in budget because that's all the car came with.

And only charged $12.74. She ignored the hub bearing and the two brackets I laid on top.

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/19/20 11:23 a.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

I guess she gave you the drowned-rat discount.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
9/19/20 12:33 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

Let's start this morning with a moment of silence for the burgundy G35. It's given a lot of parts to make a race car. It's only reward is to be crushed and sent to China.

I'd raise a can of Sapporo in it's general direction... but the 'good' grocery store is too far and about to close.  I'll have to toast it with Kozel for now.  Prost!

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/19/20 6:28 p.m.

Sorry I didn't get back on this today.  After drying out and lunch we troubleshot Lil Stampie's room light not working and had to hit Best Buy for a replacement cord for his XBox external HD.  Light not working was his switch, I was proud that he choose a black rocker with a white cover as a replacement.  Cord works on his HD so I don't have to hear him complain about not being able to load his games.

My usual plan on Challenge builds is one project per weekend.  If I don't finish that project then I catch up in the evenings during the week.  This weekend's project was brakes installed all around so this week's evenings will be installing the hub and finishing that corner's brakes.  Actually not too far behind.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/24/20 7:31 p.m.

This week has been a E36 M3 show.  

Sunday I might have berked up the threads on the axle trying to get it out.

Monday I said I deserved a day off.

Tuesday I happened to be working near the junkyard so I walked in at lunch and grabbed the axle and nut I left sitting on the ground.

Wednesday I worked a little but couldn't get the axle out without a 3/8s 14mm which mine was MIA for some reason.

Today neighbor asked me to get the car out of their driveway.  Ok.  

Hit Harbor Freight at lunch for a 3/8ths socket set.  Not gonna spend $4 on a single socket when I get get a whole set for $20.

Got home and Lil Stampie and I went over.  Got the axle out.  Towed the car over.  Here's the sucky part.  I have to use a come a long to get it back into my driveway.  I couldn't get in the passenger door for some reason at the neighbor's.  I've noticed that the driver's needed a delicate touch to open from the outside.  Lil Stampie is steering as I'm pulling it back into position.  At one point he gets out to help me reset and the drivers door won't open.  Steering is full lock right.  It's half way in the street.  It's going to hit a tree if it continues.  I get it lined up then jack up the front so I can turn the wheels straight.  Finally get it into position.  Call it a day.  Hit the liquor store.  I have 5 oz of Skrewball Peanut butter Whiskey and 2 oz of Rye Wodka in a high ball.  My Jaguars are playing Thursday night football.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/25/20 7:42 a.m.

1/8 stainless steel rod I had laying around.

Got it pushing the window switch down.

Waiting for the battery to charge.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/25/20 8:35 a.m.

Success

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
9/25/20 11:34 a.m.

If I were still working in JAX I'd join team Stampie and lend a hand getting the Z-car back together.  Unfortunately, I'm working from home and it's hour drive each way up up there.  I can barely find time for the half-finished projects I have at home these days.

Any chance you're headed to Go Pull it this weekend?  I just got the notification they just added an E30.  If you happen to be there snap a few photos.  I can't think of anything I need that's worth a trip up there for me just to check...they're usually picked over pretty quickly. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/25/20 11:52 a.m.

In reply to Hoondavan :

I'm not planning on this weekend.  If I find myself nearby I'll stop in and check it out.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/25/20 3:41 p.m.

Between helping a neighbor with a starter replacement, making sure Lil Stampie didn't eat only ice cream for lunch, and a nap I got some time to look at the 350z door lock issues. 

Watching videos last night apparently 350zs have an issue with the lock half unlocking.  That's what happened to the passenger side. To fix it you have to put pressure on a linkage with the window rolled down. I fixed that first as it was pretty easy.

Onto the drivers door. At first I assumed the handle had broken because I've noticed that you have to pull on the bottom of the handle to open it. If you pull on the top it does nothing.  Here is the broken plastic that held the nut in. 

We plan on opening the door from the bottom because Challenge.

After getting in this morning I noticed that the inside door lock drivers side did nothing and felt unattached.  Once I got the door panel off surprise, it was unattached.

So here's my theory.  12 year old Lil Stampie was bored sitting inside the car and what do bored 12 year olds do?  They fidget with things.  I think he had the door cracked so he could hear me and in playing with the door lock got unlucky enough that the cable fell off in locked position. So when he came to help me he closed the door and locked the keys inside. E36 M3 happens. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/26/20 8:44 a.m.

First order of business was trimming back the shade tree so that I'd have room to stand up under it.

Next I used the come a long to pull the 350z back to where I could get to the rear drivers wheel and open the driver's door.

And then I had a rules epiphany. Since I'm putting the hub from the base G35 on that corner technically the brakes that go with that hub are free to budget. I love rules. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/26/20 9:43 a.m.

Old hub out.

Assembly is the reverse of disassembly.  Well it is once you notice the notch on the hub signifying up.

Now a little break and then see if I can deberk the threads on the original axle. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/26/20 1:28 p.m.

The deberking with a file went ok but still not enough to get the nut on. I do think it's close enough for a die so I ordered one. NBD as I don't think this is a major issue. Worse case is I order a new axle from Rock Auto for $50.

I forgot that I had a $3 core on the hub so off to Go pull it for the return.

Since I just so happen to be there I checked out the E30 Hoondavan!

Sedan with an auto 2.5.

Decided to check for new G35/350zs. A G35 coupe near the BMW has aftermarket sway bars.

Don't think the rear bar was doing much good.

I'll shave to decide it it's worth pulling before the Challenge.  I did leave the juicy fruit in the glove box.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/26/20 1:31 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Oh I'd absolutely grab those bars if you can!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/26/20 1:35 p.m.

E30 has long battery cable. If you're still there, it might be worth grabbing.

9/26/20 1:36 p.m.

Grab the bars for ebay if anything 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/26/20 3:01 p.m.

Y'all are too kind. I'll call it like it is. I'm a dumbass.  Within 5 minutes of the last post I had searched the rates on the bars, loaded up the truck and headed back to the yard.

Got a cool funky cashier. I offered to do a dance on her counter for a bigger discount. She said that she wanted the dance but the boss man wouldn't let her discount it more. I told her that I'd give her a free one some day.

Not bad $28.48 for a set of $400 bars.

9/26/20 3:04 p.m.

Yeah it must have been too early for you to be thinking on that one

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/26/20 3:23 p.m.

There's a core charge on sway bars?  I've never seen a remanufactured one.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/26/20 3:35 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) :

The yards here charge cores on everything figuring it's free money in most cases.  One day I grabbed like 15 relays as they charge $6.74 for Relays 5 or more.  I paid my $6.74 plus $1 core put all of the relays but one in the truck and walked back in with that one for my core charge.  I explained to them how stupid that was but they said that's just how they do it and gave me my $1 back.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/26/20 8:48 p.m.

In a sign of unfounded hopefulness I just set a DMV appointment for Oct. 16 to get a tag for the 350z.

Let's catch up on budget:

Known:

$313 Nissan 350z ($260 cash, $33 labor 4 hours x $8.25, and $20 tip to ex boxer)

$10 Radiator (FMV thread)

$28 Used timing chain set off ebay

$49.94 Junkyard brakes other 3 corners (2 rotor cores returned)

$4.48 Front brake brackets (cores returned)

$12.74 Driver's rear hub (cores returned)

$28.48 Hotchkis sway bars (including cores)

Exempt items:

$254.87 New Brakes and Fluids 

$17.98 Junkyard caliper and rotor drivers rear

$19.52 Lug nuts

Estimated:

Free four 15x7 wheels and 3 good  Toyo R1Rs

$150 1 good Toyo R1R (no budget hit)

Recovery:

$25 Sold 350z horn to myself.

Total:

$421.64

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/27/20 4:50 p.m.

I forgot lug nuts in my budget yesterday so I ninja edited them in.

Sunday is the start of my work week so after work I started removing the front end stuff to get ready for the timing chain inspection. 

Before

After 45 minutes and me deciding I was wet enough.

Just need to disconnect the condenser and power steering cooler for the rest to come out. I thought the radiator was bad because I might have run into the dolly trying to drive with no brakes. Right after that was a bad coolant leak. Looking at the radiator no damage is obvious but it looks like the lower radiator hose is damaged. The bottom of the radiator support was damaged in the accident that totaled the car. I have to decide how I want to do this. In my mind all of that was coming out but I didn't think about the hood latch being on it. Guess I could run with no hood. Pondering to do. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
9/27/20 5:09 p.m.

Hood pins? I vote hood pins.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q2ESPE7uLEbL5oZtWUIUT6TSXybflEC6AcoRqlMJJHcht88xe4IPNkFPatWySSny