1 2
surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
11/1/19 5:39 p.m.
1SlowVW said:
surfshibby07 said:

4.8 ls, engine harness, th400 shifter, turbo, intercooler, turbo piping, micro squirt

This is exactly what I have in my "sleeper truck" 

In a light shell that can hook you'll have a weapon on your hands.

My goal is to contend for the podium next year. I learned a great deal this first year. I love sleeper trucks btw. What is it?

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
11/3/19 1:48 p.m.

Todays haul from an auto swap meet i found over an hour away. I spent $401 and got an S300sx3 turbo, turbo smart bov and wastegate, TH400 with converter. Hurst shifter. Turbo blanket and gaskets, and a trans cooler. 

All in all im very happy with how today went. And BONUS i got a world class t5 to replace the one i grenaded this year in the fox. 

Edit: not an S475 it was actually an S300SX3 6673. Still good for 800hp so no complaints lol. 

Fladiver64
Fladiver64 Reader
11/13/19 1:02 p.m.
surfshibby07 said:

Thanks everyone. yea i have a buyer for the engine already. its a 4v "cobra" motor out of a mark 8. so ill be 0 into the chassis. thanks a ton to Calvin Nelson and Andrew. they have given me advice and Calvin and I have been messaging since the event. I think all in all i will be well under budget and have a pretty stout build for next year. 

Ill go ahead and share my plans now since i have spent some money. So far, not including the chassis because i plan to 0 it out, i have spent $780. i have a complete intake to oil pan 4.8 ls, engine harness, th400 shifter, turbo, intercooler, turbo piping, micro squirt, kirkey seat, and a set of rear drag wheels with radials. 

I am very much looking forward to next year even more than i was this year. 

PITTER PATTER LETS GET AT'ER

OK I guess I need you to help me locate parts, becasue the places I look this would be over the $2000 budget and you are at $780! Clearly there is much I need to learn. Just to put a face with a user name, we were the blue MR2 team next to you in the concourse. Sounds like you have a solid start to a great car.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
11/13/19 1:12 p.m.

In reply to Fladiver64 :

Oh ok nice! yea i still have a lot to learn because if you compare my purchases to the nelsons for example they could probably shave off even more money. I watch craigslist and market place like a hawk, and i also have a lot of friends and followers than know what i do and often times i get sent stuff even when im not looking. PLus i am not afraid to offer a ridicluously low amount. i am respectful when doing so. but every dollar saved is more left in the budget so i try to be very wise about how and what i buy. 

swap meets are the way to go. some people ask a lot but if you keep looking you will find parts you need for cheap. i know a lot of shops in the area and i go to their scrap bins about once a week. anything i can get for free or for scrap metal prices i pick up. all of my turbo kit piping is free from performance shop scraps. people who upgraded their piping to different materials or changed set ups all together. recently i was told i might have to claim scrap prices for things that are in scrap bins but even if i have to do that its pennies on the dollar to buying new or universal piping.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
11/13/19 1:17 p.m.

In reply to surfshibby07 :

Are you going to use the microsquirt or stock ECU? 

It is amazing what race shops throw out. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
11/13/19 1:27 p.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

i am going to use the microsquirt. they are easy to tune with and id much rather have that as i believe ill be able to get some more power out of it a little safer. if i used the stock ecu it would be more expesnive to buy the HP tuner credit and tune it that way. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
11/27/19 8:29 p.m.

Well finally picked up the car. Got it home and powerwashed it. Actually looks pretty good! I start working on it soon which means pulling the motor and trans soon and routing the ls harness. 

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
11/28/19 10:13 a.m.

Cleaned up really nicely!

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
11/28/19 11:34 a.m.

Wow for the price you can't beat that.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
11/28/19 10:09 p.m.

Cool build.  I'm looking forward to see where this goes.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
11/30/19 9:53 p.m.

Thanks everyone. im excited for the build. got a few good parts at the turkey rod run. $20 kirkey seat, $40 Ls1 intake. and some small odds and ends for both the budget car and some other toys im building. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
12/7/19 8:30 p.m.

Well finally had time to go pick up the new heart and soul of my challenge car. A complete intake to oil pan 70k mile gen 3 4.8 ls. And when i got home i yanked the 4.6 "boat anchor" as calvin called it, out of the car. Sold the motor for what i payed for the car so im into the car 0 bucks. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
12/7/19 9:32 p.m.

I need to show this to my friends who have been a bit dubious how one can build such great cars for $2000+/-

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
12/28/19 2:47 a.m.

So update. I have picked up a set of rear drag wheels and tires for cheap. Havent done too much to the car as its rained a ton and ive been finishing up other projects. Should hop back on it beginning of the new year. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
1/13/20 9:50 a.m.

Getting ready to drop the motor into the car and then run my harness and make a few small connectors and a circuit board. Hopefully will be running in a few weeks! 

Motor on the left is the 4.8 going into the car. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
2/1/20 5:52 p.m.

Well i have made some good progress on the car however, due to my bever ending browsing of sale ads, i may have to change course....

I will be looking at something tomorrow and if we can make a deal i can not stress how excited i will be. It will still be ls powered by the drive train i have invested in, but may not be turbo if i cant fit the turbo into the budget. I can still ad nitrous though....

But this car is sickkkkk. Fingers crossed. 

untchabl
untchabl Reader
2/1/20 7:26 p.m.

Will the green Mustang be for sale if you get the new challenge car?

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
2/1/20 10:35 p.m.

In reply to untchabl :

It will most likely be for sale as a roller, yes. However i did not get a title with it. I might be able to get it, but i am unsure as i havent really tried. Long story short. Guy i got three car from bought it off my friend when it was his. Friend signed the title and gave it to him but here lost the title and never registered it. Technically speaking, its still my friends car though he originally sold it 4 years ago lol 

untchabl
untchabl Reader
2/1/20 11:07 p.m.

I may be interested in it as a roller if you could get a title. Looking for something to do a turbo LS build with.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
2/2/20 3:14 p.m.

Well i asked my buddy who originally sold the green car to this other guy if he wanted to buy it back as i promised him i would. Im awaiting an answer. 

That being said it is off the table for the challenge and has been replaced with.......

A 1987 FC Rx7! I feel that this car and platform will out perform the mustang due to weight, balance, and handling. Plus i think its cool! It came with a slew of goodies including a full return fuel system, ls mounts, coil overs, bracing, hydrobrake, quick release, race seat, etc.

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
2/2/20 3:22 p.m.

Very nice. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
2/2/20 4:02 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Man i need to come get that seat asap lol

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
2/2/20 4:12 p.m.

Lol. Actually coming south maybe a couple of times in the next month. Text me when you get time. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
2/2/20 5:04 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Ok will do!

Fladiver64
Fladiver64 Reader
2/2/20 7:46 p.m.
Stampie said:

Lol. Actually coming south maybe a couple of times in the next month. Text me when you get time. 

First looks like a nice score on the RX-7. Second Stampie if you are coming south do you still want the springs off the Q45? We might be able to arrange a pick up at the same time.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aiISE4masGMxHQD5uncltaS50kQ96f4RV71PSycSSnaWEL8RiocZqb4Gd9ppNges