Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/5/22 8:17 p.m.

In the time since your previous update, you had a major garage upgrade...

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
3/5/22 8:22 p.m.
759NRNG said:

This is way more interesting than the nose high '65 Nova gasser running up and down in front of the house. And now I see the fender panel you're talking about ......what dimple?

It's on the passenger side. Looks like the silver trim piece will cover it. 

I'm with Duster- yay, Wartburg!!! 

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/6/22 9:27 a.m.

Glad to see this back.  Gasser's are really cool.  This kinda brings me back to when I was a kid.  By the way, Altered's are pretty cool too.

MuSTANK
MuSTANK Reader
3/6/22 10:28 a.m.

So, just as the forum chatter reverts to used Rams and old Power Wagons, and my jaw cracks from the biggest yawn yet . . . THIS turns back up again and WOW !  Just OUTSTANDING ! 

Wonder Wartburg  ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/6/22 6:07 p.m.

everything i welded last night is painted

fuel pump and regulator mounted.  

trans cooler mounted and plumbed with braided -6an lines.  

going to tractor supply tomorrow for bolts and then i can get the converter bolted to the flywheel and put the starter in.  

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/6/22 6:39 p.m.

Last year when i was pulling apart the rotten Q45 i knew I could use the upper radiator mounting brackets, so today I actually remembered that and also remembered where I had them.  Blasted the rust off and painted and they're perfect 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/9/22 8:49 p.m.

Today i took care of an albatross.

the 3/8" thick transmission adapter needed addressed at the torque converter to crank interface or the converter would not be supported there or centered.  As hard as I tried, I could not find a commercially available crank hub extension bushing like I needed.  So I made one.  It involved first turning ID of tube to OD of converter, then slipping a tube the OD of the crank ID into it, making sure they're square, welding it, and then remachinig this new stepped piece.  Put 3/8 allthread in place of 2 bellhousing bolts, slide it back enough to sneak a hand up to the hub, and got it all apart, machined, and back together in a couple hours.

this is most of the way done minus chamfers and cleanup

and here it is doing it's thing

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/10/22 6:14 p.m.

When we(mostly Pete, I believe) put the front axle together I was reusing all the crappy rusty stuff because challenge dollars.  Today I did new hubs and bolts and installed the new brakes for good ready to go.  

then I attached the pasta machine to the inside of the firewall in anticipation of dealing with multiple colors of spaghetti this weekend.  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/10/22 7:05 p.m.

I know that you got this, but im on call for wiring tech support if you need me!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/10/22 8:13 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

biggest thing will be finding the directions for the turn signal switch.  It's probably long gone, will see if i can find the diagram online

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/10/22 8:40 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I know that you got this, but im on call for wiring tech support if you need me!

I felt a great relief in the Force, as if a million voices cried out "Not it" and were suddenly silenced.

laugh

Pat, if the turn signal switch is generic GM, it's fairly easy.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/10/22 9:37 p.m.

It's generic universal clamp on.  Think i found the diagram.  

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/14/22 11:47 a.m.

This morning after stampie left I got inspired to make the trash $16.99 shipped ebay bolt together driveshaft loop work.  After a few minutes of staring at it the way the designer intended, i decided it needed some surgery because universal parts rarely do anything well and most of the time aren't really functional.  Enter my therapists, Dr Grinder and Dr Welder.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
3/14/22 12:01 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

It fits perfectly!

Always remember, any part is universal if you have a grinder...

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/14/22 4:56 p.m.

Damn, those seats are hawt!

Dusterbd13-michael
3/14/22 9:40 p.m.

So, i haven't gone back to look.....

What gray is the interior paint? And how is it to keep clean? The valspar and magic brand tractor paint have left much to be desired. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/15/22 8:52 a.m.

That's the same silver rustoleum hammered as the firewall and it wipes clean very easily. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/15/22 2:28 p.m.

We have mirror image twins now(exhaust is done)

Dusterbd13-michael
3/15/22 2:32 p.m.

Thanks! It looked gray instead of silver pn tbe interior. 

I need to find quarts and play with it. I was not impressed with the rattle can versions workability. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/25/22 3:00 p.m.

got a bag of correct size straight spacers for rear shocks from mcmaster carr and machined a bevel on them for bearing movement, rear shocks installed for real.  Also done for real:  drivers side header and exhaust, rear brakes, nut/bolt check on rear suspension.  Couple bits like route shift cable and attach to transmission bracket and change to street tire on the wheel with the slick and it's ready to come off the lift to wrap up topside stuff

Dusterbd13-michael
3/25/22 3:07 p.m.

Oh yeah!!!

Close to a test drive!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/25/22 6:15 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

It of course will be like 42 and rainy all week.

A very very long week...

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/25/22 8:40 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Will be working on wiring soon, i blew that project off to keep cleaning stuff out.  I have no delusions of attempting to have it ready to test before may, it snowed last may 5th

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/25/22 8:42 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I am having panic attacks over trying to get the Mini done before June 4th, please do not take it personally if I pray to the weather gods for crappy weather

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
3/25/22 9:43 p.m.

Pat is the WRburg classified as C/Gas in NHRA as you  have it now?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pECh87zG5ljuVtdfRwiWhtNQKflaSapu2j25h5hvzpbgFAVt1B8vNGiJMrQnE8J8