914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/11/24 8:15 a.m.
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
7/11/24 8:24 a.m.

After seeing the housing for the Judson I had to go look one up to see how they provide boost.

What a funky design.

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI Reader
7/11/24 8:36 a.m.

I wonder how much oil gets pumped into the air?

Do they count as Apex seals?

Trent
Trent UltimaDork
7/11/24 10:21 a.m.
DrMikeCSI said:

I wonder how much oil gets pumped into the air?

The only correct answer is "all of it"

We just swapped out this Judson for an Eaton because it was fouling plugs with the amount of oil it was spraying. They are a total loss oiling system and every drop went straight into the intake. I am sure when they are fresh, the tighter clearances keep the extra oiling to a minimum, but this was the easy button.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
7/11/24 11:01 a.m.

In reply to Trent :

Came across a guy online that rebuilds em with a few improvements and sells kits for new installs.

Just reinforced my belief that if its mechanical, someone somewhere loves it and wants to make it better.

drock25too
drock25too HalfDork
7/11/24 11:01 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

After seeing the housing for the Judson I had to go look one up to see how they provide boost.

What a funky design.

Looks like a giant impact wrench. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
7/11/24 11:03 a.m.

In reply to drock25too :

I thought power steering pump, but I can see that.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/11/24 11:04 a.m.

I'd imagine that supercharger alone would be a great addition to any collection, but even better that it's attached to a whole car.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/11/24 11:38 a.m.

They are really cool vintage pieces, but in operation, from my experience not so good. Had one on my TR4A, ran great and pulled like a mother when cold, but after about 20 miles, it would heat soak and cause all kinds of issues. Finally cracked the intake manifold on it, had it welded and resold it to the next guy.... I documented all the problems here Judson but the guy refused to hear it and wanted it for his TR3. Hope he had better luck then I did, I ended up putting in a Rover V8!

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/11/24 11:57 a.m.

That's a great find!

19,000 miles?  1 owner original car.. after 70 years?  That's only 270 miles per year. That's pretty awesome. 

I'm not in the market, but $16K seems like a fair price. 

My only concern would be how long it's been sitting. 

CJ
CJ Dork
7/11/24 1:48 p.m.

That Judson looks like a 70s smog pump inside.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
7/11/24 2:45 p.m.

I had one on an MG Midget.  Judsons use an external inverse oiler made by Marvel.  As vacuum drops, oiling increases and the oil is sucked out of a glass mason jar, through the oiler, then into a port in the intake manifold ahead of the compressor.  Those vanes are a phenolic material and aside from the heat, they make a pretty loud clattering sound as they slam into the housing.  Somewhere I still have an NOS oiler, but the Judson was sold.  Too much trouble and not enough performance gain.

George Folchi in CT (IIRC) was the guy for these in the 90s/2000s.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
7/11/24 2:57 p.m.
Apis Mellifera said:

I had one on an MG Midget.  Judsons use an external inverse oiler made by Marvel.  As vacuum drops, oiling increases and the oil is sucked out of a glass mason jar, through the oiler, then into a port in the intake manifold ahead of the compressor.  Those vanes are a phenolic material and aside from the heat, they make a pretty loud clattering sound as they slam into the housing.  Somewhere I still have an NOS oiler, but the Judson was sold.  Too much trouble and not enough performance gain.

George Folchi in CT (IIRC) was the guy for these in the 90s/2000s.

George still seems to be the guru.  Was his site I found earlier today.  Current copright on the page as well.

http://www.judsonguru.com

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
7/11/24 9:19 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

That's awesome!  As a poor college student in the mid 90s, I phoned George on a few occasions seeking advice.  The vanes in mine were worn out and his new ones weren't in the budget.  He figured this out when I hesitated after hearing the price and I told him I would just make some using whatever scrap materials we had in the machine shop at school.  He asked that I let him know how it went.  When I called back a week later to report that Delrin was a very poor choice and I would try something else, he mailed new vanes to me or free and said if I ended up using them to mail him a check when I could for whatever I thought was fair.  I never met to guy and only talked on the phone a few times.  Even as a clueless 20-something, I recognized how rare that kind of trust was and it made me want to earn it. I'm glad he's still around.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
7/11/24 9:37 p.m.

I did a search for MGTDs yesterday and didn't see that one.

It's a little far away and more than I'd want to spend, but it's pretty much exactly what I would want. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
7/11/24 9:53 p.m.
Apis Mellifera said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

That's awesome!  As a poor college student in the mid 90s, I phoned George on a few occasions seeking advice.  The vanes in mine were worn out and his new ones weren't in the budget.  He figured this out when I hesitated after hearing the price and I told him I would just make some using whatever scrap materials we had in the machine shop at school.  He asked that I let him know how it went.  When I called back a week later to report that Delrin was a very poor choice and I would try something else, he mailed new vanes to me or free and said if I ended up using them to mail him a check when I could for whatever I thought was fair.  I never met to guy and only talked on the phone a few times.  Even as a clueless 20-something, I recognized how rare that kind of trust was and it made me want to earn it. I'm glad he's still around.

That tracks exactly with what he says on his front page and who he portrays himself to be.  Thats awesome.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
7/11/24 11:11 p.m.

In reply to Trent :

Were you able to adapt the Judson mounts to work with the Eaton, or did you have to fabricate new ones?

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
7/11/24 11:14 p.m.

In reply to Apis Mellifera :

Love them guys! Great story to have. 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
7/11/24 11:14 p.m.

In reply to Apis Mellifera :

Love them guys! Great story to have. 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork