Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/12/24 6:59 a.m.

1983 Honda Civic 1500 S
80k, 5-Speed, CVCC-II Engine
Greenville, SC
$4250

The humble Honda Civic has now become old enough to be a classic car.  This one in particular is a 41 year old top-trim model.  Offered only in 1983 the Civic 1500 S is the precursor to the well known Civic Si.  I'm fairly certain this car appeared on Bring a Trailer back when you could still actually bring a trailer and pick up a fun car for less than $50k. 

There are a ton of fresh parts on the car, from a new battery, timing belt, valve adjustment, and clutch cable to the fully rebuilt and upgraded braking system (Master Cylinder, Calipers, Rotors, Wheel Cylinders, etc).  The 13x4.5" wheels wear massive 175/70 Kumho tires which are quite comfortable to drive on with some actual sidewalls.  As a plus, they were the only 13" tire from a reputable brand I could find for sale.  This old Honda doesn't leak a drop of anything on your driveway.   

The car is a good driver that is ready for the next owner to enjoy.  The seats have covers and the fabric underneath has seen better days.  I was torn between replacing them or recovering them with the original two tone red and black fabric.  The factory AM/FM radio still works and tunes in local stations just fine.  The secondary venturi is finicky on the carb, but the car is still easily driven and a rebuild kit is included with the car among many other spares. 

Want a neat old hatchback that isn't a Golf GTI?  This car is for you.

Period Car and Driver Article 

Google Photos Link

EricM
EricM UltraDork
8/12/24 11:44 a.m.

OK, 

um, 

ok, just breathe.

This is literally my favorite hotwheel.

I am looking locally for a daily driver.  10 hours from CMI to South Carolina is hard to justify, but still.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/12/24 11:47 a.m.

You, too, huh?

It’s very cool. 

Motojunky
Motojunky Reader
8/12/24 3:49 p.m.

Oh man. I was just telling my wife that I'd like to move a couple of my projects and pick up an obscure smaller car. Something that would be the only one at the local cruise night. This is perfect. Timing is not. 

For anyone looking, the seller is a stand up guy. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
8/12/24 3:51 p.m.

I love those cars. And I think that the second generation Civic S model was 1893 only. They also came in white and dark red. 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
8/12/24 4:04 p.m.

Oh

My 

God

When I was in high school a guy I worked with at the local grocery store had one and ever since then I've wanted one.  My fleet is too big right now, please someone buy my other cars so I can buy this!!!

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
8/13/24 8:43 a.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

I'll give you $4250 for the boxster so you can buy this devil

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
8/13/24 9:56 a.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

I'll give you $4250 for the boxster so you can buy this devil

Since you're a long time friend, make it $8250 and it's all yours.  Not bad for a well done 986...laugh

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 SuperDork
8/13/24 3:06 p.m.

I'm digging through my couch cushions looking for spare change.  If we hadn't just bought a house, I'd be on a plane to SC right now.  I learned to drive in a '77 Accord, my first car was a CRX, and second was a Prelude.  So I have a thing for Hondas, only reduced somewhat by the Miata.

GLWTS.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
8/13/24 4:18 p.m.

It's not sold yet?  Nice car!

One of the first car books I bought had some decent Honda history - I didn't own a Honda but this was cool to me.

Rons
Rons Dork
8/13/24 7:51 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

I love those cars. And I think that the second generation Civic S model was 1893 only. They also came in white and dark red. 

Were those the ones that came with metal spoke wheels in place of the wooden ones?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0klTCV52fmhyofRb296b8xkXuiC59auBxURjsofNPtOarOaeD05F3lMwin9bSk8f