914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/2/24 11:30 a.m.

NMNA - car hauler?   I know a guy that bought one to keep on his farm to pump water from the pond to his huge garden.

porschenut
porschenut Dork
2/2/24 11:46 a.m.

How do you find this stuff?  And since you have demonstrated your skills in facebook searches have you figured out how to do a manual trans only search?  The trans select is no longer in filter, all I want is something local with a clutch pedal.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/2/24 12:19 p.m.

in one of my possible futures, i will part out the fire truck goodies and build a sick ramp truck from one of these.

hobiercr
hobiercr UltraDork
2/2/24 12:24 p.m.

Well, technically not free as he wants a trade. I'm with Angry, a ramp fire truck would be a cool hauler.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
2/2/24 12:31 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

I'm not a gambler. But I would take odds, that the actual price , is NOT free. And another bet that it is not $1234.  Another bet would be that I don't get any takers. 
Before F B, we called shiny happy people the advertised that way, "bait and switch."

In some advertising, it was even illegal. 

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
2/2/24 8:56 p.m.

In reply to hobiercr :

It's a cool idea until you find out a 1966 vintage 671 Detroit Diesel (no turbo, maybe 170 HP) with a manual transmission the jakes could deal with is 55-60 mph truck flat out.  Extra points for the song of the screaming jimmy though and fun with air brakes!  

One of my high school friends has a CDL and borrowed a restored vintage fire truck (I'm remembering it my have been Mack based) for my nephew's birthday years ago.  I rode shotgun with him on the 5 mile trip to my sister's house.  It was 0-40 eventually and progressively more terrifying as we got closer to that.  LOL.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
2/3/24 12:40 p.m.

A guy in Montgomery, AL used one similar to that for his lawn spraying business.  His didn't have the cab on it.  

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/3/24 2:48 p.m.

Seller texted me:  $3500.  Can I say dick?

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
2/3/24 3:11 p.m.
914Driver said:

Seller texted me:  $3500.  Can I say dick?

Well, not really. Anyone that has looked at more than one F B M ad, knows that "Free" or "$1234" usually means "I don't want to post the actual asking price, because I want WAY too much. "

$3500 for that, is actually a decent price for it. 
I think he should have posted the price instead of being like most of F B. 
But then I also like to use complete sentences, and not text in getto. I've had several "people" respond to clear questions... "wat u want to no?" 
I asked one if he had anyone that could translate into English... that ended with me asking if he wanted to bring the car to a public meet, and we could "discuss" manners surprise

So yea, I also think dick. But if he is, so is 90% of F B M. 

When you wrote the title, I assumed you knew, and the wording was tongue-in-cheek. 

dan0
dan0 HalfDork
2/3/24 4:52 p.m.

I'd rather the $1234 over free.  That way it's easier to realize that the person is either not disclosing price or just wants trades.

If you don't list an asking price, FB automatically lists it as "FREE"
If you don't see it specifically mentioned as "free" in the body of the ad, assume that an undetermined amount of money is expected for it.  (Usually more than you would pay)

I have never had an issue searching Marketplace by manual transmission, but it is better to just search normally, as FB defaults to "Automatic" when listing

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
2/3/24 8:55 p.m.

In reply to Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself :

For more of the bullE36 M3 that is F B, here is a VERY common ad I see:

So... it runs AND drives... just doesn't start... 

If that is ok in ads, I should never go online again crying

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Dork
2/4/24 10:01 a.m.
porschenut said:

How do you find this stuff?  And since you have demonstrated your skills in facebook searches have you figured out how to do a manual trans only search?  The trans select is no longer in filter, all I want is something local with a clutch pedal.

The manual trans search is finnicky. It's mindblowing that a such a big "tech" company can't get something so simple correct.  I suspect they just think their algorythm knows better than you do about what you're looking for.   

On the webpage select "marketplace" then the "Vehicle" filter.  The first time I tried this AM it didn't work.  Now it is.

Have you tried using the mobile app? When I was actively searching for a car sometimes the app was usually much better w/the manual transmission searches, but not always.  Sometimes you have to enter a vehicle search term first, then select transmission.  Sometimes it won't allow you to select by manual transmission if there are too few results (eg SAAB).  

llysgennad
llysgennad HalfDork
2/5/24 2:05 p.m.

If only it were a ladder truck...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UTHntl2vNQD0vIZIYlVSqDdHeGIZB1OFgLxpa5srjg450twtURSzMaEv09MqwU8T