David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/15/23 4:21 p.m.
feature_image

How many cars do you own? It’s more than one, right? More than you care to admit?  It’s okay, we won’t tell anyone.

What if you could only have one car. Just one single machine. (Why? You lost your space, you had a revelation or maybe you decided that simplicity could be th…

Read the rest of the story

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
11/16/23 11:41 a.m.

It's possible, but unlikely. I love variety. It's the spice of life.

sir_mike
sir_mike Reader
11/16/23 11:42 a.m.

Only one you say?? Well it would be my 1968 Ford Cortina GT I bought new in Sept 68.

davetjaguarxk140
davetjaguarxk140
11/16/23 12:03 p.m.

Nostalgia rules - I would (since you asked), go back to my first car - a red 1965 MGB. Oh, well of course I'd need... no no no, only one!

MGfanatic
MGfanatic
11/16/23 12:08 p.m.

A lot easier to choose the one to keep than it would be to choose one to sell!

MotorwerksMarketing
MotorwerksMarketing New Reader
11/16/23 12:33 p.m.

The further along I get in this, the more I'm appreciating just having my Alfa Romeo. This said, I can't say the same thing for motorcycles....

lasttr
lasttr Reader
11/16/23 1:29 p.m.

Only one car? That would be tough. I've owned at least one British roadster since 1966; I currently own 4: an MGA, a Healey 3000, a TR6, and a TR8. My daily driver is a '93 Jeep XJ Cherokee 2-door, and living in Anchorage, Alaska, that would have to be my one car for year-round use. And it's not a bad choice: fuel injected 4-litre straight six, 4-speed automatic transmission, compact, nimble, fairly quick; quite sporty actually. (And I keep eyeing that Sunoco Donohue AMC tribute Cherokee that shows up now and then on your pages as inspiration for a project.)

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
11/16/23 1:51 p.m.

I could survive with just one but why? If I had to.... probably my 1989 Civic Si but back to OEM plus trim rather than track trim. I love that car and it can do it all but not as well as a stable of cars.

Don2001l
Don2001l New Reader
11/16/23 2:42 p.m.

I would be nice to trade though your list of favorites, but the prices are crazy to get into nearly anything ... Lotus, XKE, MGA !

Sorry, I dont has a spare 50k US for a third car.
Unless we can work a trade for a 2016 MX-5 ...

Dave_Jorgensen
Dave_Jorgensen New Reader
11/16/23 3:17 p.m.

Hmmm - What one vehicle could combine all the attributes of my V6/AWD Venza, my F150,  and my 5.0 'Stang/PP2?  Can't be an RS4 wagon [dodgy German electronics, can't haul dirt], can't be an AWD Mazda 3 GT [252 HP?  Oh pshaw - give me 75 more HP, Mazda].  Can't be an F150 Lightning [nice idea, but I'll wait until the batteries and infrastructure graduate from Model T to Model A].

I think my only choice is an early 90's Impala SS Wagon with a Whipple blower and some studded Hakkapelittas for our Canadian winters.  We can paint it black-and-white and name it Shamu.

Karl55
Karl55 New Reader
11/16/23 3:19 p.m.

No I don't think so.

Bazemore23
Bazemore23 New Reader
11/16/23 4:04 p.m.

One car ???  Hah, no way !!!!

joevinciguerra
joevinciguerra None
11/16/23 4:04 p.m.

One car?  WOW, that's tough. I guess it would have to be my '63 RHD Daimler SP250 (Dart).  It's so little known that it draws a lot of attention and faciltitates meeting new collectors.  It's been 35 years in various stages of resto and is finally roadworthy.  That little V8 is very torquey (a word?) a a joy to put through its paces. 

But, that would only be a last resort.  Having a stable of cars means there's always something in resto and you can pick and choose what to work on based on what you feel like doing.  And, with a '57 Tbird, '62 Beetle Convert, '70 TR6, '65 Vespa and a '62 Mini Cooper there's a LOT to choose from.  In the past it was running out of money.  Now, it's running out of life.

Heck, keep them all and pass them on. 

NJ Joe.

gsarahs
gsarahs New Reader
11/16/23 4:42 p.m.

My current and permanent daily driver is my '08 Volvo C70 hardtop convertible with a 6-speed box, would be my first choice. My previous '76 Jaguar XJ6 Coupe that was my daily driver for a decade would be my second choice, but I would hate to think of the fuel costs each fill up. I wish I still had her as a collector.

I too have this illness for collecting vintage autos, which currently consists of 2 later Austin-Healey 3000s; '68 Jaguar E-Type Coupe; '68 Triumph Tr250 with Surrey top; '73 Volvo 1800ES Sportswagon; '60 MGA Coupe; and '98 Grand Caravan AWD for the winters. I truly have an addiction.

MGWrench
MGWrench New Reader
11/17/23 8:49 a.m.

I've thought about this because I'm getting to the age where it takes me twice as long to do half as much.  I've currently got 4 MGs and a Volvo, but I still want to acquire an El Camino and a 1940 Packard 110 Touring Sedan.  If I had to go down to one car, it would be a toss-up between my MG ZA Magnette and the Packard.  The MG would likely win since it is very easy to drive and fits easily into almost any sized garage and I've been working on MGs since 1975 when I worked at an MG Jaguar dealership.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/17/23 9:42 a.m.

I know, it’s tough, right? 

Right now we have two keepers that would be nearly impossible to part with: an early Miata I have owned for nearly 25 years plus our 1984 Porsche 911 Carrera. Both have truly been part of the family. 

But at one point I only had one car–and it was the Miata for sevearal years....

wspohn
wspohn UltraDork
11/17/23 1:36 p.m.

Couldn't possibly get down to one car. Fortunately, my wife has a Mazda 3 Sport which is excellent for normal driving and carrying.

My own stable is down to a 1971 Jensen Interceptor, a 2007 BMW Z4M coupe, a 1962 MGA coupe, a Jamaican bodied 1956 MGA with GM 3.4 power, my daily driver 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP coupe and my old MGA Twin Cam race car.  I would miss any of them if they weren't here - some of them have been part of the family for more than 50 years!

haringmp
haringmp New Reader
11/21/23 5:55 p.m.

Current fleet: Triumph TR-3, Lotus Evora 2+2, Porsche Cayman S, BMW Z4M Coupe, Ferrari 308 GTS, Honda Fit Sport (lightly modifed), and '56 T-Bird.

One car to rule them all!!?? If there was one, I wouldn't have 7!

Question is for an alternate universe - IJBOL!!!

BUT, hypothetical answer would be a McLaren!!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z1o0rg0FJBW02i2PuvEHHBXO9wQGZQD5sUfpvewuR6uWSir8vSHXacuNvPCseiIH