TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
3/27/12 3:56 p.m.

I'm torn between getting a GT6+, Shelby GLHS or Mustang SVO.

The GT6+ makes a lot of sense since I've always been a Triumph guy and would be a stablemate to my much beloved TR8. I used to race an FP Mk.III Spitfire back in the day and always loved the looks of the 69/70 GT6+ particularly. I'll stay away from the original Mk.I with its Spitfire suspension. Also I realize that in many ways the Mk.III was the best of the lot, but I've always preferred the lines of the GT6+. I'd probably be looking for a clean driver tuned version (triple webers, wheels, etc) rather than a concours car.

I used to own a Shelby Omni GLH and Charger GLH and both were fun cars back in the 1980's. The more limited edition GLHS versions have to be a future classics IMHO.

Always liked the SVO. It was a more sophisticated departure from the normal V8 poney car Mustangs. Also a potential future classic.

Tough choices.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
3/27/12 4:00 p.m.

Wow..I can't think of more dissimilar cars! I'd go for the GT6, personally.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
3/27/12 4:17 p.m.

What's wrong with the MK1 suspension?

Tahoe
Tahoe New Reader
3/27/12 5:37 p.m.

I owned an SVO when new. I always like that car, very easy to live with and only sold it for a killer deal on a '56 Chevy 150 Wagon with 350/700R4. At the time I needed something I could tow with and couldn't afford both that and the SVO. Put 135k on the SVO and had to replace the turbo once because of the piston ring wear causing oil blow by through the turbine. Interesting choice of 3 cars though, all very different, it really depends on what you you're looking for and what type of use it will get.

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
3/27/12 8:17 p.m.

What's wrong with the GT6 Mk.1 suspension? Everything!! It was the exact same swing axle set up as on the early Spitfires. Even the spring rates and anti roll bar were the same. The GT6+ was a significant improvement with the rear rubber donuts and beefed up springs and bigger roll bar. The last Mk. III's went back to the Spitfire rear suspension as on the Spit 1500, but that was still a big improvement over the Mk.1.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
3/27/12 8:51 p.m.

It all can be setup to handle just fine.

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
3/28/12 8:54 a.m.

Sure it can. My early model Mk.3 Spitfire that I raced handled like it was on rails with the modifications. All I'm saying is that there was an evolution from the Mk.1 to GT6+. The GT6+ was an upgrade over the Mk.1 in stock form.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/28/12 9:37 a.m.

Interesting choice of cars......all with possible upside. I'd also vote the GT6+ just because I like chrome and the 80s interiors of the SVO and GLHS are pretty terrible.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
3/28/12 1:03 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Interesting choice of cars......all with possible upside. I'd also vote the GT6+ just because I like chrome and the 80s interiors of the SVO and GLHS are pretty terrible.

If it's not my daily driver, that would be what I vote, for the same reasons.

RHCorley
RHCorley New Reader
3/28/12 2:11 p.m.

Even though I'm a Blue Oval aficionado to the core, I'm gonna jump on the GT6+ bandwagon. They were neat cars with a a body design that doesn't look like 'another face in the crowd' like the Omni and the Mustang.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
3/30/12 8:52 p.m.

WHERE do you live? Is it kind to a late 60s/early 70s British chassis?

Your choices are different... but if push comes to shove... and its my daily... the Shelby gets the nod for most versitility... most options of passengers/cargo. Other small advantages are most replacement parts are available - body bits - fenders, etc.

The GT6 is a sweet ride, but if I had to choose a classic, I'd pick the Volvo 1800ES over the GT6

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/3/12 9:30 a.m.

I have owned both a GT6 and an SVO, and have spent a lot of time in Shelby Dodges. First, if you are over 6 feet tall or weigh over 225 pounds, than you will not be comfortable in a GT6. You will fit in either a Spitfire or TR6 though.

The SVO is a cool car, but build quality, especially in those big tinny doors, is marginal. The SVO engine is a bit rough and heavy. The Shelby is cool, but torque steer and eighties build materials lessen the experience.

While your list is very varied, I would shop early RX-7 and 240-Z as well, as well as E30 BMW convertible.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
4/3/12 8:24 p.m.

I was stopped by a Police Officer last summer. He wanted to see me get in and out of the GT6. At 6.2 yeah I'm tall for the car, but its like driving a go-kart.

A little bias imagery to tempt you.

RHCorley
RHCorley New Reader
4/4/12 11:10 a.m.

@ Andre - I remember watching 6'10" Dennis Awtrey [center for the Phoenix Suns at the time] unwind himself out of his Porsche 911 when he came to the shop I was working at. To quote one of the other mechanics, 'He got out and kept on gettin' out and kept on gettin' out and kept on gettin' out..." It looked like someone unfolding one of those old carpenter's rulers that was hinged at both ends.

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
4/5/12 9:41 a.m.

Its becoming a bit of a no brainer. My next car will be a GT6+ just because I've always really liked the looks of them since they first came out, so it has to be a GT6+ and not Mk1 or Mk3. Its just a matter of taking my time and finding the right car. But I also eventually want to get a GLHS before they start becoming collectable. Guess I can live without the SVO after all.

tom03
tom03 New Reader
4/17/12 4:18 p.m.
AndreGT6 wrote: I was stopped by a Police Officer last summer. He wanted to see me get in and out of the GT6. At 6.2 yeah I'm tall for the car, but its like driving a go-kart. A little bias imagery to tempt you.

this car might be small for you ... but this car is like a baby to me ... and perfect for you..color are so cool

GautamAuto
GautamAuto New Reader
5/28/12 3:26 a.m.
AndreGT6 wrote: What's wrong with the MK1 suspension?

I think you are right.

sfisher71
sfisher71 New Reader
5/29/12 10:05 a.m.

I owned an SVO Mustang when new.

I replaced it with an M.G. Midget because I wanted a car that was fun to drive and reliable.

'Nuff said.

GautamAuto
GautamAuto New Reader
6/2/12 1:24 a.m.

hi frds

that i personal view that Gt6 car best but if u buy any one try one this also

Rupert
Rupert Reader
6/8/12 10:07 a.m.
RHCorley wrote: @ Andre - I remember watching 6'10" Dennis Awtrey [center for the Phoenix Suns at the time] unwind himself out of his Porsche 911 when he came to the shop I was working at. To quote one of the other mechanics, 'He got out and kept on gettin' out and kept on gettin' out and kept on gettin' out..." It looked like someone unfolding one of those old carpenter's rulers that was hinged at both ends.

Reminds me of a local hero Artis Gilmore who was 7'2" and played for the Kentucky Colonels in the ABA. Artis drove a Bentley and everything looked pretty normal till you noticed he was looking out the left rear side window while driving! He simply removed the left front seat and mounted it directly to the front of the left rear. He said it worked fine except he had so much trouble trying to slide his body up and out the front door.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5zLRphuKVxzakMYJXNjU6NerLFaSutweOs2PzY39ycMErvPpqLh347j16sOKKQ89