jmorgan456
jmorgan456 New Reader
2/18/09 7:38 a.m.

I am looking at a TR6 project car. Someone else started and lost interest.

I will be going to look at the car this weekend - weather permitting.

In photos, the body looks like it has had a refresh and new paint. Unclear how much work was done on the underbody, but it looks solid.

The engine was allegedly rebuilt, unknown by whom. It looks incomplete, but mostly done.

Interior looks good, if dirty.

I have this fear that I will go and find a cardboard box ful of parts or 100 coffee cans. We will see.

In any event, does anyone have an inspection checklist for this car? Any thoughts about how to evaluate the half done project?

Thoughts on value?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
2/18/09 9:05 a.m.

I'm no TR6 guru, but check the frame carefully, and make sure to look over the rear suspension mounting points.

On the engine, if it's not making funny noises, you're probably OK.

Actually, TR6s are such simple, robust cars that so long as the frame is good, you'll probably be OK.

Gary
Gary Reader
2/18/09 11:15 a.m.

You said "project car" so be prepared for anything. Even frames can be fixed (check Auto Rust Technicians in Cranston, RI, www.autorust.com) or even replaced if you’re willing to put in the effort. But TR6s have not gone astronomical like TR3s and TR4s, and good ones are in the low teens. Drivers needing only a little attention can be found everywhere for under $10K. (Joe G., any comments?) So keep that in mind when you’re looking at it. A project car that still needs assembly and a few more thousand dollars of work might not be worth it to you. The standard answer to your question would be "investigate carefully and let price be the determining factor." That’s easy to say. If you’re looking for something to tinker with and slave over for a long time, and if the price is really cheap (say $2-3K or so) and if everything is there, then buy the project car. But if you want to drive something this spring, look elsewhere.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/18/09 1:05 p.m.

I agree with Gary's advice.

I paid $4,500 for mine, and it is cosmetically (very) imperfect, but mechanically sound, and the frame is solid. You should be able to find a good driver for $5-$8K or so. Really nice cars are going for $15-$20K. Be honest with yourself about how much time/ money you are willing to invest. A $3,500 TR-6 can turn into a $10K car pretty quickly if you are farming out the work.

That said, they are pretty simple machines. As previously stated, check frame at the rear suspension mounting points for rust. If the car has an overdrive unit that's a big bonus, and makes highway speeds do-able for long distances.

I've seen rust free, complete cars in need of a total restoration for sale for $2,500 or so. I'd get the car on a lift, and closely inspect the undercarriage. Many, many TR-6s out there look really nice until you get under them.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 New Reader
2/19/09 6:54 p.m.

As others have said, frame rot and damage will be a concern. The front suspension mounts and diff mounts can tear loose, but this can be repaired. Check the rockers for rust. They are sometimes patched, so look on the back side. Also, the seam along the rear fender top likes to rot. If you can, look inside the body where the rear fenders bolt on, particularly above the wheel arches. If the engine won't start, you're taking a chance it's a boat anchor. Most parts can still be found, but the small bits do add up.

Good luck, and take pictures.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
txKmGa7sUOvWVGKflJpKVUPw0SUKNNpN9qDvEhHgghrfpvBUaIx330xmCGLjnDaa