1 2 3
fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
5/9/13 9:10 a.m.

I love the 79-80 rx7 body style, it took a while but its grown on me and the 240z is just timeless. That would be an impossible decision for me to choose between the two. but I def wouldn't choose the miata in this scenario, different 'category' IMHO.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
5/9/13 10:31 a.m.

I've owned two Rx-7s and loved them but I think I'd pick a 240Z.

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
5/9/13 11:26 a.m.

To a certain extent, you make have to go with what you can find unless you're willing to go on a multi-state quest. I was looking for several months within 100 miles for a decent 240Z before I waived the white flag and bought my Miata. I can honestly say I've never been disappointed in the Miata with the caveat that it has very little in the way of "cool factor" even somewhat "tricked out". Its fun, stupid cheap to own and reliable as a hammer. Unless you boost/LS swap it, no one other than another Miata owner or someone who thinks its "cute" will ever appreciate it no matter how nice it is. That doesn't bother me in the least.

If, however, someone were to offer me the keys to a nice 240 (or even 260/280) in trade, I'd have a real problem on my hands.

crankwalk
crankwalk Reader
5/9/13 11:58 a.m.

Z. Easy.

crankwalk
crankwalk Reader
5/9/13 11:58 a.m.

Z. Easy.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
5/9/13 12:13 p.m.

FBs look cool but they're not that great performance-wise by today's standards, and rotary maintenance is scary so I'll rule that out.

NBs are about equal to NAs performance wise but don't look as good so I'll rule the NB out.

A 260Z is just a 240Zs chubby and less attractive sister so I'll rule that out too. And since this is hypothetical and I don't have to choose between costly restored 240Zs and shells of them that have half-returned to the earth, there's no downside to limiting myself here.

Now between the NA and 240Z...The 240Z is a cooler looking car and a nicer DD, and has more potential, but needs a lot of work to upgrade a lot of the stock things that are downright crappy like the seats and suspension and awful lack of chassis stiffening.

Stock vs. stock the NA is quicker and drives way better and isn't horribly lacking anything (other than maybe a lower/foam-ectomied seat for myself, my head would be brushing the roof).

So I think the question really comes down to how important track performance is for this car and what I plan to spend on it.

Track is important + spend big money = 240Z

Track is important + tight budget = NA

Track is unimportant = 240Z.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
5/9/13 12:37 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

maintenance cost is the same, but overhaul engine price is a different story.

ronbros
ronbros Reader
5/9/13 12:51 p.m.

question; why isnt the 2nd gen RX7 on the list, that would be my pick ,especially the turbo version

Matt B
Matt B Dork
5/9/13 1:08 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: While the 240/60/80 is a beautiful car to behold and listen to. And the performance is still stunning when cleaned up of all the crapping emissions, I just cannot stand the dashboard on those cars. My father had a beautiful 260 and the dashboard (and aftermarket sunroof) were the two things I hated the most about that car. Unfortunately, you have to look at the dash all day long.

Really? I always really liked the simple circular pod design of the 240z. To each their own I guess.

I pretty much agree with GameboyRMH though. Fun head turner = Z. Cheap track toy = Meotter.

The FB RX7 seems like a better sports car on paper than the Z though. I wouldn't kick it out of the garage. Dunno. I don't think there's a wrong choice on the list.

mr2peak
mr2peak HalfDork
5/9/13 2:50 p.m.

240z. It's just way cooler than the other options.

Every girl I've ever met would agree 240z is best

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
5/9/13 3:23 p.m.

240z.

Unless you are adding the caveat that it has to be purchased for under $5000 or something, in which case I'd go Miata. But presuming one in clean driveable condition... 240z is the coolest, most special car on this list. Make mine the first year, before the engine got choked by emissions regulations.

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
5/9/13 3:39 p.m.

For a regularly street driven classicish fun car, I'd most likely go with a 280Z. They are priced lower than the same condition 240Z, available with a 5-speed, fuel injected for people like me who greatly dislike working with carbs, can swap out bumpters to make look just as good as a 240Z, and I wouldn't feel as bad upgrading it from its most desirable factory/OEM state. And in my humble opinion, the classic Z's have one of the best looking dash designs from the 70's/80's...And maybe even into the 90's as well.

crankwalk
crankwalk Reader
5/9/13 3:49 p.m.

Also thezstore and black dragon (rx7 too) have tons of parts for cheap still. That amazes me for a 40 year old Jap car. They sold alot of them.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
5/9/13 3:54 p.m.

My answer is always "240Z" - but you can find seats, wheels, engines, transmissions, parts cars, and many other parts on craigslist cheaper and easier by going with a Miata.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
5/9/13 4:39 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: A 260Z is just a 240Zs chubby and less attractive sister so I'll rule that out too. And since this is hypothetical and I don't have to choose between costly restored 240Zs and shells of them that have half-returned to the earth, there's no downside to limiting myself here.

I remember seeing my Father's early 260z parked next to a 240z.. it was hard to tell them apart. Now the 280 is definatly the chubby sister.

As for the dashboard. I had a Fiat 124 at the time my Father had his 260. I prefered the dashboard on the fiat by miles compared to that of the Z. I hated the acres of black plastic and the gages in the centre. Gages that my Fiat had right in front of me in one spot

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/9/13 4:47 p.m.

I had a 280Z which I really liked, it was basically a 260Z with big bumpers and fuel injection. Not mine but man I like it:

The 280ZX was the one that looks like the chubby boulevard cruiser.

The T top cars flexed like they were made of chewing gum. I wouldn't kick a turboed slicktop out of my garage, though.

Real fun would be a turbo ZX motor in a 240/260/280Z body.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
5/9/13 4:50 p.m.

Another vote for the Zed.

^ The early 260's had 240-esque thin bumpers; late 260's had the 280-big bumpers. That's why you can't tell them apart without checking other minute details.

Tip - get a 240 / 260 / 280z, push in the bumper mounts, and install 240 style thin bumpers. Most folks will never be able to tell the difference at first glance. The later cars may be slightly heavier but you're also benefiting from things like a larger displacement engine and chassis stiffness improvements.

Nick Murphy
Nick Murphy New Reader
5/9/13 9:41 p.m.

How is the rotary for reliability and ease to work on?

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
5/9/13 10:04 p.m.
mikeatrpi wrote: Another vote for the Zed. ^ The early 260's had 240-esque thin bumpers; late 260's had the 280-big bumpers. That's why you can't tell them apart without checking other minute details. Tip - get a 240 / 260 / 280z, push in the bumper mounts, and install 240 style thin bumpers. Most folks will never be able to tell the difference at first glance. The later cars may be slightly heavier but you're also benefiting from things like a larger displacement engine and chassis stiffness improvements.

that explains that. I didn't think they changed the body around a whole lot for the 2 or 3 years the 260 was in production

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
5/10/13 3:56 a.m.

I love it when people try to argue that the 280 was bigger, longer, wider, what have you. . . so many will call 79 and up cars 280z's and the same person will often call a 77 a zx. . . then show them a picture comparison and they still try and argue it . . .dumb. . . . bumpers, doors, front valance, taillights, trim, gas tank, FI, wiring. . . those are the changes made. the body is the same exact thing otherwise.

also, I can't believe madmachine doesn't like the dash. . . thats just crazy talk

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
5/10/13 8:14 a.m.
2K4Kcsq wrote: also, I can't believe madmachine doesn't like the dash. . . thats just crazy talk

nope.. I like all my gages right in front of me, not some off to the side where I have to really look away from the road to see them.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
5/10/13 8:54 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine: Oh, you must just love Toyota Echos then.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/10/13 9:54 a.m.

I prefer the 280ZX front. (The turbo shown above.) But i don't like the hatch profile... something is off.

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
5/10/13 12:57 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: nope.. I like all my gages right in front of me, not some off to the side where I have to really look away from the road to see them.

Which, in all fairness, is especially important when driving a Fiat.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
5/11/13 7:24 p.m.

you cant use your peripheral vision to glance at the fuel guage once every 2 hours?? lol . . . even with my AFR in the far pocket where the clock once was, I don't seem to have any trouble keeping the car on the road when glancing at it once in a while.

I like the dash because it's unique, tastefully done and as my wife has pointed out, it's the perfect car for me because the passenger cant see the speedometer in those deep pockets. I'll take that over some of the new crap like the dodge dart, with it's economy flower and all the other un needed garbage right in front of you, nice and distracting. but to each their own.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h1NzD0SFXfRfnsQjBpEkKz2rkwXK3fALF8SCV89QgcRoHlBvL2hSKOZsoQRHpReu