1 2
ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
10/17/23 8:44 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/O0gU4xpNExc?si=ipEYwLRSxFlGJ-17

Why buy a Toyota GR86, Subaru BRZ or Scion FR-S?

Grassroots Motorsports Editorial Director David S. Wallens offers 5 reasons why in less than 5 minutes.

Presented by CRC Industries.

Watch more videos

myusdmcavalier
myusdmcavalier New Reader
10/17/23 9:29 a.m.

It really is the last of the affordable rwd sports cars, shame they'll explode in price in the near future.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/17/23 10:06 a.m.

David is preaching to us in the choir.

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
10/17/23 10:32 a.m.
myusdmcavalier said:

It really is the last of the affordable rwd sports cars, shame they'll explode in price in the near future.

Don't forget the ND3 Miata :)

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/17/23 10:52 p.m.
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) said:
myusdmcavalier said:

I have yet to drive or sit in an 86/etc but I can definitely say that I will never drive an ND because I can barely sit in one.  I tried two different examples.

I have all the sad.  The ND looks awesome on paper, the reviews are glowing.

I'm actually a little afraid to try an 86.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/17/23 11:15 p.m.

I drive a brand new BRZ about a week ago.  It is a brilliant car.  I will likely have one someday.

Duckzero
Duckzero New Reader
10/18/23 12:21 a.m.

I've been looking at used ones actually. Mostly early FR-S and BRZ examples. 

Ultimasanctus
Ultimasanctus New Reader
10/18/23 1:40 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

For context I'm 6ft 4 and I've also driven an ND and when turning right, my hand would hit my knee and just didn't have enough space if I were to buy it. Later bought an FR-S and enjoyed it. I had plenty of leg room but when autocrossing, I had to lean the seat back one extra "notch" to not hit my helmet on the ceiling.

Also was able to fit an xl frame mountain bike with 29" wheels inside the car with juuust enough room to be comfortable. Took some time to wiggle in and out though.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
10/18/23 9:06 a.m.

Love my '23 BRZ!

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
10/18/23 9:27 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) said:
myusdmcavalier said:

I have yet to drive or sit in an 86/etc but I can definitely say that I will never drive an ND because I can barely sit in one.  I tried two different examples.

I have all the sad.  The ND looks awesome on paper, the reviews are glowing.

I'm actually a little afraid to try an 86.

Well, I'm about 6 foot tall and with a helmet, I JUST fit into the ND Miata. The GR86/BRZ twins have a little more space, although I'm not sure how much more. Just give it a try, they're all great cars.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/18/23 10:09 a.m.

Had a '15 BRZ and now a '23 BRZ. I still regret trading in the '15 BRZ on the wallet busting '13 135i even though it was also a brilliant car. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
10/18/23 10:13 a.m.

I love my 2014 BRZ with the turbo, it makes me smile every time I drive it.  If I hadn't bought it I would likely be looking at new ones.  The only thing I was consider trading for at the moment is a GR Corrolla and I'm not holding my breathe on that.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/18/23 1:21 p.m.

That's a good lookin' car around 2:15 wink

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/18/23 1:29 p.m.

Because of GRM I thought Miata had to be the answer.  Tried one on for size.  Head hit roof and was clastrophobic.  Not enough storage for two to travel comfy.

The GR86 filled all the bills.   Have driven it over 9,000 miles this summer.  yes heart

rj_borgen
rj_borgen New Reader
10/25/23 3:17 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Not sure what your dimensions are but I'm 6'1" and around 260 (Military life & Powerlifting). I test drove an ND2 Miata and felt cramped in the leg/pedal box area.  My hips and quads are too wide to comfortably drive the car without sitting crooked.  However, I also looked at the Gen I BRZ and I fit admirably in that.  For me that was the smallest car I could comfortable fit in and operate safely.  I would've bought the car had the dealership not tried to bait & switch me on price, then insult me to my face about saying "no" to the bad deal. 

I've not been in a Gen II yet but I'm to understand it's slightly larger. The new 86/BRZ is on my list of cars to buy when I return from my overseas tour of duty. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/25/23 9:37 a.m.

In reply to rj_borgen :

If the ND RF seat back could recline a couple more inches, I'd be fine.  But to scoot the seat forward enough to have the seat reclined enough, my shins are hard into the dashboard like an 80s Mercedes.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
10/25/23 10:33 a.m.

When did $30k become affordable?

I like the Gen 2 car, but the price is beyond my means.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/25/23 10:53 a.m.

A coworker who is 6' 2" is on his second FR-S (first one was totaled by a flood).  It's his daily driver in all weather living in central NJ.  First was a manual, second is an automatic (he was in a rush to buy and manuals were scarce).  I drove the first one around a bit - definitely a fun car.  Much more room than my ex's ND1.  If I had endless room and space, I'd buy one. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/25/23 10:58 a.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) :

Just depends on your living situation. I'd probably be a year ahead on payments if my fiance hadn't been laid off for the first 5.5 months of the year.

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
10/25/23 11:12 a.m.

So, if a guy were to take a look at trading his 128i for a first gen twin, is there anything that needs to be avoided, such as first year weaknesses?  Or have these gotten to the point that you're buying the previous owner moreso than the car?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/25/23 1:38 p.m.

In reply to Puddy46 :

I would avoid a 2013 due to the valve spring recall. 2015+ got revised coil packs IIRC. 17+ got 5hp more through an intake manifold and a few things and a 4.3 rear end gear vs 4.1. 

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
10/25/23 6:15 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

That figures on the 2013s.  Seems like those are the only ones that are decently priced.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/26/23 10:09 a.m.
Puddy46 said:

In reply to z31maniac :

That figures on the 2013s.  Seems like those are the only ones that are decently priced.  

You could try to find a cheap salvage one that looks to have been repaired properly and start saving up for a K-swap?

If I had wanted another project vs something to just drive, I would have picked up another 1st gen and done a K-swap vs getting a 2nd gen.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
10/26/23 11:10 a.m.

I know someone selling a well-done LS swapped 1st gen in Dayton OH.

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
10/26/23 11:43 a.m.

Has there been any progress on understanding and solving the issues with engine failures in the Gen2 cars? I know there were issues with clogged oil intakes (solved on newer builds?) but then I also saw some stuff about dangerously low oil pressure in sweepers. What's the latest? 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nfvRjPXE4rG7wCzmNP4nNDZBEGNBZBFPF5EQnf1k5r1eMBnA859UHC4PVCVycIGS