1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/21/21 9:36 a.m.
feature_image

Prices for performance vehicles from the ‘80s and ‘90s—the youngtimers, as some like to say—have been on the rise, especially if cars like this low-mileage Dodge Viper or bone-stock Mazda Miata provide anything to go by.

It may not be much of a surprise, then…

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/21/21 9:41 a.m.

This is like Judas Priest or Iron Maiden. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/21/21 9:46 a.m.

I'm going to guess the E30 will sell for more, but that is based only on past sales I've heard about.  I'd be surprised if the ITR matched it.

Which would I rather have?  Good question... since either choice would be left original/stock and be a car show toy, I'd take the E30 M3.  Also, it seems maintenance and parts availability for the M3 would be easier to deal with.

As much I like the idea of the ITR (and like cheap E30 M3's of ages ago, I kind of kick myself for not buying one when I had the chance...), I also remember when I had an Integra of that generation as a loaner when I was getting my '91 Integra worked on.  I actually liked the interior of my '91 better.

David S. Wallens said:

This is like Judas Priest or Iron Maiden. 

Maybe, but in general you like one more than the other. While I've been on a bit of a Priest kick recently, I'd still choose Maiden if you put a gun to my head. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/21/21 9:52 a.m.

Funny, but 20 years ago I would rather have had the e30 m3. Now I'd rather have the ITR. 

What's also funny is that now you can get some NSXs cheaper than some ITRs. That also wasnt true 20 years ago haha. 

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/21/21 9:59 a.m.

When I was in my 20's I started making a little money and I wanted to get a "fun" new car.  I always liked Hondas and I narrowed it down to either the Prelude SH or the Integra Type R.  They were almost exactly the same price and had almost exactly the same performance specs on paper.  I ended up with the Prelude SH because I thought it looked cooler and I was only able to find the ITR in yellow, which I didn't want.  It's funny to me now that you can get a clean SH for less than $5k, but a ITR with similar miles and condition can fetch $40k+.  I guess I regret it although I didn't have the good sense to keep either of them long-term at that age.  I ended up trading the Prelude for a Nissan truck.

David S. Wallens
1/21/21 10:17 a.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Not to derail, but more on Priest vs. Maiden. Another question for the ages. 

David S. Wallens
1/21/21 10:25 a.m.

And, personally, still debating Type R vs. M3. Hmmmmm....

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/21/21 10:32 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

And, personally, still debating Type R vs. M3. Hmmmmm....

E30 M3 all day, every day and twice on Sunday.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/21/21 10:37 a.m.

Not sure how this is even a question unless you are wallet limited.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/21/21 11:00 a.m.
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:

Not sure how this is even a question unless your wallet limited.

True... if I could afford to buy either one, I would buy BOTH.

David S. Wallens
1/21/21 12:03 p.m.

Just looked: $53k for the Type R and $40k for the M3. So, guesses as to the hammer prices? I'd think that the M3 would have to fetch more. 

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/21/21 1:38 p.m.

I fully cam into this expecting the M3 to fetch more.. but the hammers aren't moving much.. still over an hour left on both..

ITR seem to be going for absolutely silly prices and it's currently higher..

i'm going to go with the Integra for more and a hammer price of $60k

David S. Wallens
1/21/21 3:58 p.m.

Yeah, $65k for the Type R. Bonus points for a first-year model–but also not 100% stock and once hit in the rear.

Now to see what the M3 brings. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/21/21 4:16 p.m.

M3 sells for $63,666. I really thought it would fetch more than the Integra.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) UberDork
1/21/21 4:24 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

M3 sells for $63,666. I really thought it would fetch more than the Integra.

If you look at the auction history, there have been a lot more E30s sold on BAT than ITRs.  I suspect a certain amount of buyer fatigue.

JS154
JS154 New Reader
1/21/21 4:40 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

depends on the stories behind the M3. Its missing the tow hook covers and the M3 badge on the trunk is misaligned....the rear badge is a huge indicator of a repaint, so.....what's the backstory?  

Also, the M3 has the least desireable combo, Alpinweiss with Beige. 

350z247
350z247 New Reader
1/22/21 7:50 a.m.

While I can see the appeal of both, I just can't see myself getting $65K worth of enjoyment from either. Think of the E30 chassis you could build for a fraction of $65K (modern brakes, complete suspension, S54 swap, etc.).

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/22/21 11:10 a.m.

Edited because I didn't read the auction site before posting.  I assumed the ITR was stock, and was mind-blown that stock ITRs with any miles on them at all still exists.

New news:  Modified car sells for a decent price on BAT

David S. Wallens
1/25/21 1:11 p.m.

A yellow Type R is currently on the BaT auction block. 

It looks stock--some mods but not a ton--but has suffered hail damage. Bidding ends in an hour and is currently at $21k. Do I hear $22,000?

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/25/21 5:39 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Nope on the $22k. $20.5k is the most I've ever spent on a car and that was 16 years ago.

Maiden for long term investments...

David S. Wallens
1/25/21 5:50 p.m.

The yellow one was bid to $24.5k but went unsold--didn't realize that it had 142k on it. So maybe call it a driver and enjoy it? 

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/25/21 6:00 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

The yellow one was bid to $24.5k but went unsold--didn't realize that it had 142k on it. So maybe call it a driver and enjoy it? 

People were saying it's too clean to drive.. well someone at some point didn't feel that way.

The ITR was a really well built car and i'm having a bit of a laugh to myself that the seller didn't sell at $24.5k.

BAT will now try to put the seller and the high bidder together to try and make a deal happen behind closed doors.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
1/26/21 8:30 a.m.

$24,500 was  basically what they cost brand new.  This one has 142k miles on it and the seller thinks it's worth than brand new cost.  Crazy.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
1/26/21 10:43 a.m.

That yellow ITR is basically exactly what I want in an NSX. Clean, highish miles, and some nitpicky visual defect that allows me to buy it for half price AND then also not feel bad for driving it all over the place. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
1/26/21 10:45 a.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:
David S. Wallens said:

People were saying it's too clean to drive.. well someone at some point didn't feel that way.

The ITR was a really well built car and i'm having a bit of a laugh to myself that the seller didn't sell at $24.5k.

BAT will now try to put the seller and the high bidder together to try and make a deal happen behind closed doors.

If I were the bidder I'd be pissed. I'd tell the seller my top post-auction offer starts at 23.5k and drops by $1k every single hour. 

I'm sorry but if you don't want to sell for what BAT brings then you're not seriously selling. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5Ham3tGlhtS5rkskfDCmRJIs5ePO0THsqjyExKvc36rDyySbxlpjm9aWjDRT1ad8