1 2 3
singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
11/2/12 11:49 p.m.

so the thought has crossed my mind about getting out from under my car loan (mazda2) and getting a big comfy DD. Mileage is sort of important but not super important. Quality is probably the most important thing. I have a friend with a E38 BMW V8 and I have to say that is a sweet car for the money (sub 5k easy, his was less than half that). Another is the lexus ls400, these seem to be pretty long lasting. Cars I have experience with and that I am not really interested in are the buicks/GM products of that nature. I don't have a real reason why but I want RWD and a V8. Entry price needs to be sub 5k. I can handle most of the maintenance, but I don't want something like a Jag that is just waiting to let its smoke out. Basically what are those best bang for your buck cars that have depreciated REALLY hard? Has the VW Phaeton got down there yet?

D_Howard
D_Howard Reader
11/2/12 11:52 p.m.

I believe this meets your criteria.

singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
11/2/12 11:57 p.m.

That has definitely fallen inside my thoughts as well. My problem, as usual, is I want to mod everything. The vic is too easy too do. Also, p71...

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
11/3/12 12:30 a.m.

I'd say a w126 Mercedes, ls400, that Infiniti with no grille that some people here like (Q45 or something?) or an American car like a crown Vic or caprice.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
11/3/12 1:36 a.m.

W126, the best and last Benz made with straight old school German engineering(the good kind, not the kind VW brags about today).

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
11/3/12 9:11 a.m.
Travis_K wrote: I'd say a w126 Mercedes, ls400, that Infiniti with no grille that some people here like (Q45 or something?) or an American car like a crown Vic or caprice.

I'd say the newest/nicest Lexus LS you can find.

Done.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
11/3/12 9:18 a.m.

Infiniti:
I have shopped around the Q45's before. If they got better mpg, I would have bought one.
I do not remember the specifics but the earliest models had some issues. Also, the earliest models had no front grill. I think it was '94 where the actually got a grill which coincided with the reliability improvements. I just remember that the conventional wisdom was that you want a Q45 with a grill.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
11/3/12 9:23 a.m.

Q45, LS400, Mazda 929. 929s aren't worth anything, and they're good cars.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/3/12 12:24 p.m.

Last of the XJ6s. Fairly reliable, cheap and classy.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
11/3/12 1:00 p.m.

Not a V8, but if you can get past that, it could be a great choice.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
11/3/12 1:34 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: That has definitely fallen inside my thoughts as well. My problem, as usual, is I want to mod everything. The vic is too easy too do. Also, p71...

Just accept that you are going to modify whatever you buy then. Even if its just a little bit.

I bought a Grand Marquis just like that thinking I would leave it alone. Riiiight. I didn't do much, just wheels, tires, spacers and some used bolt on performance parts, and i took it Autocrossing. Civilian versions of the panther platform with 2.73 gears can pull 27mpg highway from personal experience.

Quite frankly, some days I am growing really really tired of the uncomfortable seats in my Accent, I have thought about ditching it and getting another Marquis. comfortable as E36 M3, simple and easy and cheap to work on, and just eats up highway miles.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UltraDork
11/3/12 2:02 p.m.

You could probably get the nicest Alfa 164 you could find.

singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
11/3/12 2:18 p.m.

In reply to fast_eddie_72:

I have had a cressida before and while I liked it, it is older than i want to go.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Reader
11/3/12 6:49 p.m.

Big fan of Panthers... Why not go all the way with the Town Car? P71 hard parts under a Lincoln sounds cool to me!

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
11/4/12 7:01 a.m.

I loved my LS400. I have seen a couple of the 98-2000 models in the $5k price range, which is the one I would target if I was buying again. It's the 300hp one with vvti and the 5-speed auto so it's faster and gets a bit better gas mileage than the 95-97. The 95-97 would be my second choice. The 1st gen is better built but slower, fewer rattles but the climate control screens tend to go bad.

Right now I have a GS430 I'm fixing up - you might look at GS400's as they're still "big and comfy" compared to a Mazda2. The back seat does not compare to the LS though - the 95 - 2000 LS400 is a long wheel base so the back seat is almost "personal limo" level of roomy.

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy HalfDork
11/4/12 7:14 a.m.

You can start with a P71, then swap parts around from there. Not happy with the mileage? Swap in a civilian 2.73 rear end. I'm not sure if an LSD or locker is available in this ratio. I get about 20mpg no matter how I drive with my 3.27 locker. Not happy with the seats? Swap in cushier ones from a Mercury or Lincoln. All the power wiring's there, even if it's not hooked up. Don't like the cop car look, or the rubber floor? Look for a Street Appearance Package car, or play musical parts. My P71's needed nothing but regular maintenance since I got it, plus tires, since cop tires aren't what they're cracked up to be. You just have to hold out for the right one, preferably with a service history, which many police departments keep. Mine came with one.

ptmeyer84
ptmeyer84 New Reader
11/4/12 7:18 a.m.

So weird, I came here to pose the exact same question. I have a Mazda2 that am looking to sell because my commute just went from 70 mi per day to 1. So mileage no longer matters much. Thought I would get something comfy and GT like for the few 2 hour trips we take to Omaha a couple of times per month.

I love the e38s, but do I (or me and singleslammer) need to worry much about electronics? Also, tell me more about P71 underpinnings on the Town car.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
11/4/12 7:25 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Q45, LS400, Mazda 929. 929s aren't worth anything, and they're good cars.

Also see n/a Mazda Millenia.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
11/4/12 9:00 a.m.

But aren't RWD... i figure i already stretched a bit to get the 929 in there since it isn't a V8, but you know...

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
11/4/12 9:09 a.m.

Old 929s seem like durable cars, I once pushed one out of the road that had lost all it's coolant and been driven until it stopped, I figured it was dead, but I saw the same car a couple more times a while after that.

singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
11/4/12 9:31 a.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac:

Don't worry about that. I was basically saying that I didn't like the Buick big comfy cars so much. The 929 is pretty cool but I don't know if I have ever seen one in person. I had a friend with a Millenia. It was a nice car but maybe a little on the small side.

BigD
BigD Reader
11/4/12 9:34 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: I'd say the newest/nicest Lexus LS you can find. Done.

This. The only option really, as far as I'm concerned. You may have personal preferences that would lead you elsewhere but there is nothing that's this cheap for what you get, reliable and comfortable. I've seen some badly abused, huge mile cars that still run like new. Can't go wrong with a Toyota V8.

singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
11/4/12 10:13 a.m.

There is an early one for sale on my way to work. I stopped to look at it but there was no price. Looked nice though. It was the beige on beige though, ugh...

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
11/4/12 12:04 p.m.

Volvo 850/V70. Ours has been tough to deal with sometimes, but those front seats forgive many sins...

singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
11/4/12 1:50 p.m.

I have been considering the 7/900 series. Plus I can swap in a v8 at a later date if/when I get bored!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dk7hxzuvnDBE4xchQ681HZMk0GWv9pvFQgBOwYQM47zZMIiFQ9oD2ADQ2azJepVX