1 2 3 4
Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
11/4/12 5:31 p.m.

I personally dont think panthers are that roomy up front.

But for what you're describing i think they work ok. Engine is the biggest letdown factor.

Id much prefer a lexus LS or Q45.

singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
11/4/12 7:23 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

Yeah, this is kind of where I'm at. I love the Q45 but they rare around here, I imagine they are more fun to drive than the LS. any one have any thoughts on these two and making a GT out of it?

bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
11/4/12 11:18 p.m.

I have had bad thoughts about a 940 Turbo wagon for its utility and teh boosts. I'm addicted to turbo torque and once that blows up go for a V8 swap.

That being said I really enjoyed my Lincoln Town Car. Mods were limited to a set of twice pipes and a good stereo head unit. No desire to mod beyond that and everything worked, the gas mileage was even decent.

I also have bad thoughts about the E39 530i sport package with a stick shift, they are just really nice looking cars.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
11/5/12 12:20 a.m.

This is mine and it is available

http://limaohio.craigslist.org/cto/3338142076.html

Timing is everything

fornetti14
fornetti14 HalfDork
11/5/12 5:59 a.m.

V70 Turbo.

I'll toss a wild card at you - '03+ Mazda6. $5k cars are out there.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
11/5/12 6:43 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: This is mine and it is available http://limaohio.craigslist.org/cto/3338142076.html Timing is everything

I'm not sure why I want that so much, but I sure wish you were closer.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
11/5/12 6:52 a.m.

A P71. Worth under-glow. Wait.... I've got a picture....

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
11/5/12 6:55 a.m.
ptmeyer84 wrote: So weird, I came here to pose the exact same question. I have a Mazda2 that am looking to sell because my commute just went from 70 mi per day to 1. So mileage no longer matters much. Thought I would get something comfy and GT like for the few 2 hour trips we take to Omaha a couple of times per month. I love the e38s, but do I (or me and singleslammer) need to worry much about electronics? Also, tell me more about P71 underpinnings on the Town car.

It's like you were meant for each other.

singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
11/5/12 8:57 a.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

Har har.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
11/5/12 9:37 a.m.
ValuePack wrote:
aussiesmg wrote: This is mine and it is available http://limaohio.craigslist.org/cto/3338142076.html Timing is everything
I'm not sure why I want that so much, but I sure wish you were closer.

I am just a PM away... lol

Racer1ab
Racer1ab HalfDork
11/5/12 10:44 a.m.

Any interest in a 1994 Probe GT?

singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
11/5/12 11:47 a.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

It looks like a nice ride but it is a little far away and I never really liked the square Lincolns. Parents had one. Just not for me.

singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
11/5/12 3:47 p.m.

So I found a really nice 94 740 Turbo wagon for sale (at a dealer, ie over priced, a lot) but it is one owner with many new parts and a super clean body.

How much would guys pay for a rust free 94 740 turbo wagon with 178k, all the maintenance records, one owner, no damage, and an auto ()?? Supposedly, newer tires, turbo, and belts.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
11/5/12 5:57 p.m.

Did we say Lincoln LS yet? Lincoln LS. There are some decent early examples falling under $5k these days, $6-7k should buy one that's nice. Available with a stick(RARE!), both V6 and V8 seem to be plenty good.

Aussie: It's a deal. Move the decimal point one space to the left, and I'll hit the road.

Regarding a clean '94 740T wagon, I wouldn't want to pay much over $2k even if it was perfect. This price range is a gouger's market though, I fear whatever it is they're asking. They'll probably get it.

singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
11/5/12 6:52 p.m.

Well my buyer for my mr2 fell through so guess I need to wait a while before continuing my search.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
11/5/12 7:27 p.m.

Having worked on v8 lincoln LS's, i would recommend a v6...

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
11/5/12 7:28 p.m.

I was going to suggest the Lincoln LS... great cars that seem to slip under the radar

singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
11/5/12 7:29 p.m.

If I went ls I would go v6 and FIND a manual. Their out there. Anyone have any thoughts on the LS and handling?

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
11/5/12 7:31 p.m.

isn't it basically a Jag underneath? or is that the other way around?

singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
11/5/12 8:01 p.m.

I think it shares platform with the s-type. The v8 is a jaguar unit.

frenchy
frenchy New Reader
11/5/12 9:36 p.m.

I cant believe no one has said Buick Roadmaster yet. LT1 Rwd available in wagon. That's the answer.

ptmeyer84
ptmeyer84 New Reader
11/5/12 11:04 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
ptmeyer84 wrote: So weird, I came here to pose the exact same question. I have a Mazda2 that am looking to sell because my commute just went from 70 mi per day to 1. So mileage no longer matters much. Thought I would get something comfy and GT like for the few 2 hour trips we take to Omaha a couple of times per month. I love the e38s, but do I (or me and singleslammer) need to worry much about electronics? Also, tell me more about P71 underpinnings on the Town car.
It's like you were meant for each other.

You really think so?!

Mezzanine
Mezzanine New Reader
11/6/12 11:04 p.m.

W124 Mercedes- Big enough, but not too big... plenty of V8s floating around, but the 3.2L straight six is nothing to turn your nose up at either. You could find a hammered 500e under $5k if you look long enough for some tasty 5 liter action with Porsche tuned handling. Mmm...

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
11/6/12 11:20 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: Anyone have any thoughts on the LS and handling?

I was pretty much intending to just buy one to find out how they were. I haven't driven an LS, but I swapped an auto box in a S Type a few years back. Assuming the two are similar, LS drives like a slightly softer E34 5 series. Competent, but comfy.

And the Ford/Jag V6 sounds amazing without mufflers.

EDIT: Durr. By that token, add the S Type to the list. I usually hate luxobarges, but could see myself in the Jag.

slopecarver
slopecarver New Reader
11/7/12 8:52 a.m.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FSxJwyxcgXeeSn2Xdnnh3cBqU2LuSU6xR8w8upVXW3jRZKEMQUV2shIqnfzavmGZ