06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/28/23 10:52 a.m.

Perusing the classifieds and came upon this listing for a 2014 Jaguar F-Type convertible for just over 20K.  It's a V6 automatic car, but these things listed for quite a bit of coin if i'm not mistaken.  So, my question is are these the next sportscar bargain or should they be avoided like the plague..

https://www.hgreg.com/used-car/jaguar-f-type-2014-for-sale-426993679

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/28/23 11:00 a.m.

Not sure how they’re aging, but wonderful to drive when new. Small trunk, though. 

calteg
calteg SuperDork
9/28/23 11:07 a.m.

Jag & Land Rover are typically the worst depreciating vehicles. Beautiful cars, but there's a reason for it.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
9/28/23 11:16 a.m.

I dunno, but I lust after an F-Type R Coupe. We saw one at Maryhill that sounded heavenly. They are so sharp looking in person, too.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/28/23 11:17 a.m.

I did a search and came across a post here by forum member kb58 -  He had a F-Type R and said it was a great car, but perhaps a little too great.  No issues but a replacement headlight housing will cost you 4K  - Excerpt from his post quoted here..

"The biggest lesson I learned from this is: If you buy a used car that was very expensive when new, even though you didn't pay that, repair shops will treat you as if you had. An exotic headlight assembly is $4,000, and a used engine is $20K, regardless whether you paid $100K or $10K for the car. I should have realized that beforehand but didn't."

I don't think i'd be happy if my 20K car needed a $4,000 headlight assembly because someone got a little inpatient in the school pickup line.. 

EDIT, after a quick search, it seems that $4000 headlight pricetag is a bit exaggerated.  Found on ebay for 3-400 bucks, not far out of line for any new car these days. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/28/23 11:22 a.m.
Javelin said:

I dunno, but I lost after an F-Type R Coupe. We saw one at Maryhill that sounded heavenly. They are so sharp looking in person, too.

The V8 R does sound heavenly. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/28/23 11:56 a.m.
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:

I did a search and came across a post here by forum member kb58 -  He had a F-Type R and said it was a great car, but perhaps a little too great.  No issues but a replacement headlight housing will cost you 4K  - Excerpt from his post quoted here..

"The biggest lesson I learned from this is: If you buy a used car that was very expensive when new, even though you didn't pay that, repair shops will treat you as if you had. An exotic headlight assembly is $4,000, and a used engine is $20K, regardless whether you paid $100K or $10K for the car. I should have realized that beforehand but didn't."

I don't think i'd be happy if my 20K car needed a $4,000 headlight assembly because someone got a little inpatient in the school pickup line.. 

EDIT, after a quick search, it seems that $4000 headlight pricetag is a bit exaggerated.  Found on ebay for 3-400 bucks, not far out of line for any new car these days. 

I started looking at F-Types before I ordered my BRZ. And this was the conclusion I came to, as well for a Cayman/Boxster S. I could easily buy it at the used price, but I didn't think I could truly AFFORD it because of potential repair costs and maintenance. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
9/28/23 11:57 a.m.

These do look quite good but I wonder about reliability and where to get it serviced.  I would probably be as happy with a simular-vintage convertible Mustang but these are *special* whereas a Mustang is *alright*.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/28/23 12:09 p.m.

Those are the weird V6 that uses a V8 block with two cylinders blanked out

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/28/23 12:17 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

That has to be the most idiotic thing I have seen. knowing that such a lame mentality existed within the company would keep me from wanting one of their products.

Pete

TR7
TR7 Reader
9/28/23 12:32 p.m.
NickD said:

Bippity Boppity, if the manual v6 exists, but not the v8, but the v6 is a v8,,,,, This car needs more depreciation. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/28/23 12:32 p.m.
NickD said:

What the actual berkeley?

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
9/28/23 12:38 p.m.

We had a 2015 F-Type R coupe. This one in fact: https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rNqXzapP/2015-jaguar-f-type-r-coupe

Pros:
Blast to drive, shockingly fast, would break traction in an instant, made hilarious noises when put in dynamic mode, perhaps the prettiest coupe ever made

Cons:
Eye-wateringly expensive to maintain, interior quality not great, god forbid you have to replace the carbon ceramic brake discs, MPG=LOL

Worst part:
My wife (it was her car) rear ended someone going 10 MPH (in a school zone no less). The repair bill from the body shop was $19K (and change)

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/28/23 12:39 p.m.
NickD said:

"There’s more to it than that, however, as Jaguar also reduced the bore of the remaining six cylinders from 92 to 84.5mm and the stroke from 93 to 89mm, reducing swept capacity from 5000 to 2995cc."  Bonus!

There were elements that I really loved about my 2010 Jag XK, but there were also places where corners were obviously cut.  Put the Jag side-by-side with a Porsche, AMG or BMW M car of the same age and it was obvious that the German manufacturers had access to *much* larger development budgets.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
9/28/23 12:40 p.m.

I'm aware of that and I don't care.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/28/23 12:48 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

These do look quite good but I wonder about reliability and where to get it serviced.  I would probably be as happy with a simular-vintage convertible Mustang but these are *special* whereas a Mustang is *alright*.

These are clearly in a whole different league of style and prestige than a Mustang.  Is that significant to you?  (It was to me).  The trade-off is much higher cost of ownership, particularly if you rely on pros to maintain and service your car.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
9/28/23 1:33 p.m.

These are WAY up there on my want list, even though maintenance sounds scary. Honestly I like the look of the "basic" V6 with the center exhaust and a bit more sidewall on the tires even more than the V8 cars, and they still sound great. there's a red one that looks just like the images below localish to me I see every once in a while, and I look up prices every time I catch a glimpse. They are smaller cars than the pics make them look, and are absolutely striking.

I had no idea about the engine, that's nuts. 

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
9/28/23 2:05 p.m.
gearheadE30 said:

These are WAY up there on my want list, even though maintenance sounds scary. Honestly I like the look of the "basic" V6 with the center exhaust and a bit more sidewall on the tires even more than the V8 cars, and they still sound great. there's a red one that looks just like the images below localish to me I see every once in a while, and I look up prices every time I catch a glimpse. They are smaller cars than the pics make them look, and are absolutely striking.

I had no idea about the engine, that's nuts. 

Good point on the size. They are smaller than expected IRL. That said, the hatch area will take a good bit of cargo. I managed to fit a golf bag in ours (with the driver taken out). 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/28/23 2:47 p.m.

It seems like it would have been easier/cheaper, to just lower the compression and tune for the V8 for the lower model and then turn it back up for the higher trim level. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S6jvZPjXer875h0sL4tjlqeOy4HGaF3LywP2KSl45e6upZl6H7Noo4FsK5m5yq60