2 3 4 5
ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
10/17/13 12:34 p.m.
AverageH wrote: Let's not forget that our tax dollars went into this. While it's cool that a Camaro can do so well on the ring, it damn well better after the bailout. Too bad I don't like these cars no matter how fast they are; I'd still be embarrassed to be seen in one. -Hamid

I blame George Bush

It must take a freaking automotive Super Star to not love this video. Or a really jaded son-of-a-gun!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/17/13 12:46 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: Way to flounder up a perfectly cool thread.
+1 Also, E36 M3, the Z/28 is probably the *best* use my tax dollars have had this year!

Right. I wish ALL my tax dollars got used to build hideous huge cars that still boogie like a motherberkeleyer. I'll never buy one, but i'll still enjoy seeing it go fast as berkeley.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
10/17/13 12:52 p.m.

Windshield in the video is lifesize

chockrl
chockrl New Reader
10/17/13 12:53 p.m.

In reply to unk577: ""The fastest LFA" "a 911 GT2" yes there are a lot of street cars that may be able to do it I faster but can they do it right off of the production line?"

My point, even though the LFA is order of magintudes more expensive, is that they took a track oriented, optioned Camaro and are comparing it to what essentially the base model LFA (if there is such a thing). The Nurburgring Edition LFA has comparable upgrades to what the Z28 used to set the time that it did. And I guess you could order a LFA Nurburgring Edition straight from the production line. The Z28 is still pre-production, so it would be hard to get it right off the production line, and it doesn't seem like any manufacturer gets to production with the same exact car as used in pre-production, especially when trying to set records like this.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
10/17/13 1:05 p.m.

Nobody is cross-shopping the Camaro and LFA. Two very different mindsets for those vehicles.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UberDork
10/17/13 1:09 p.m.

Are the times recorded from a standing or flying start?

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
10/17/13 1:15 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: So, a Camaro, straight from a Chevy dealership; right next to the Spark and the Silverado, can outrun an LFA at a cost delta of multiple houses and you complain that it isn't the fastest LFA which was used in the comparison?

Of course, that is still comparing factory backed time posted by a development driver to magazine test times posted by 'ringer' drivers...The slowest factory backed time for a given car seems to generally be in the range of 10-20 seconds faster than the best 'ringer' time. Expect similarly slower mag-racer times from the Z/28.

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
10/17/13 1:17 p.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku:

Flying start.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
10/17/13 1:18 p.m.
Driven5 wrote:
tuna55 wrote: So, a Camaro, straight from a Chevy dealership; right next to the Spark and the Silverado, can outrun an LFA at a cost delta of multiple houses and you complain that it isn't the fastest LFA which was used in the comparison?
Of course, that is still comparing factory backed time posted by a development driver to magazine test times posted by 'ringer' drivers...The slowest factory backed time for a given car is seems to generally be in the range of 10-20 seconds faster than the best 'ringer' times.

UGH. You're crazy. If you want to wait until it goes into something more objective, then fine, but it's not like Chevy has a history or faking this stuff.

Also, even though it was at GM, the results for the rest of the vehicles in this list as compared to one another seems right, then add in the Z/28 and it's flat out amazing.

http://hooniverse.com/2013/10/17/first-ride-2014-chevrolet-camaro-z28-wvideoa-finely-honed-track-weapon/

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
10/17/13 1:19 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: Nobody is cross-shopping the Camaro and LFA. Two very different mindsets for those vehicles.

Nobody is shopping for an LFA at all, they've been sold out and OOP for like 2 years.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
10/17/13 1:28 p.m.

Jeebus... some of you people are unbelievable. A 3900lb monster coupe from GM just ran a 7:37 on the ring, faster than many many supercars. And y'all are making excuses?

berkeley people... what does it take to get you to acknowledge something good? Are some of you even able to do that anymore?

My gawd, the GM-hate is ridiculous in here.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/17/13 1:41 p.m.

I dig it a lot. Still a bit big for me, but I love that it exists and I do love the look.

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
10/17/13 1:52 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: UGH. You're crazy. If you want to wait until it goes into something more objective, then fine, but it's not like Chevy has a history or faking this stuff.

UGH. Nobody is accusing GM of faking anything either...But making assumptions from randomly selected Nurburgring times is completely irrational. Most of the evidence I have seen simply appears to support a 10+ second differential between professional development drivers with countless hours getting to know a specific car, and the one-lap-wonders. Here are a few confirmed same-specification tests, even all using the same (and most popular) magazine hired hot-shoe.

2009 Nissan GT-R (stock tires): 7:29 Factory - 7:38 Magazine (Horst Von Saurma)

2011 Nissan GT-R (stock tires): 7:24 (semi-wet) Factory - 7:34 Magazine (Horst Von Saurma)

C6 ZR1 (stock tires): 7:26 Factory - 7:38 Magazine (Horst Von Saurma)

So while some people may believe this proves the Z/28 is "faster" than a 2009 GT-R or C6 ZR1, such mag-racer claims are not actually based in reality. The only thing that the very respectable posted time actually proves, is simply that the Z/28 is fast...Nothing more...Nothing less.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
10/17/13 2:19 p.m.
Driven5 wrote:
tuna55 wrote: UGH. You're crazy. If you want to wait until it goes into something more objective, then fine, but it's not like Chevy has a history or faking this stuff.
UGH. Nobody is accusing GM of faking anything...This is simply what is irrational about comparing randomly selected Nurburgring times. Most of the empirical evidence I have seen supports my claim. Here a handful of confirmed same-specification tests, even all using the same (and most popular) magazine hired hot-shoe. 2009 Nissan GT-R (stock tires): 7:29 Factory - 7:38 Magazine (Horst Von Saurma) 2011 Nissan GT-R (stock tires): 7:24 (semi-wet) Factory - 7:34 Magazine (Horst Von Saurma) C6 ZR1 (stock tires): 7:26 Factory - 7:38 Magazine (Horst Von Saurma) So while some people may claim this "proves" the Z/28 as fast as a 2009 GT-R or C6 ZR1, such mag-racer claims are not actually based in reality. The only thing that the very respectable posted time actually proves, is that the Z/28 is fast...Nothing more...Nothing less.

Maybe Horst Von Saurma isn't that much of a hot shoe

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
10/17/13 2:59 p.m.

The car's not that fast.The driver in the video just didn't slow down much for the corners.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
10/17/13 3:37 p.m.

Crikeys, a big pig of a car ripped off an impressive time around an impressive track, and most of you pick it apart.

I don't get the hate.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
10/17/13 4:34 p.m.

In reply to RealMiniDriver:

There's more drama in this thread than there was behind the wheel of that Camaro.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
10/17/13 8:01 p.m.

No denying that the car is very fast and competent . Now they need to build a similar car in 3/4 scale with a more airy greenhouse. Reduce the weight and horsepower by 25% and I'll be far more interested.

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
10/17/13 8:50 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: No denying that the car is very fast and competent . Now they need to build a similar car in 3/4 scale with a more airy greenhouse. Reduce the weight and up the horsepower by 25% and I'll be far more interested.

FTFY

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
10/17/13 8:54 p.m.

This video is like seeing the larger almost fat girl from high school look exactly the same 15 years later running a marathon in 2.5hrs.

Impressive as all hell but still just not a looker.

doc_speeder
doc_speeder Reader
10/17/13 9:27 p.m.

In reply to JtspellS:

If by "almost fat" you mean thick and curvy, then I'm all over that business.

bL79
bL79
10/18/13 12:36 a.m.

Word on the street is this lap was on Pirelli P-Zero Trofeo Rs, the OE tire is a Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar. The Trofeo R is "DOT Approved"...but then again so are Hoosiers.

Still impressive, but that explains some of the speed.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
10/18/13 12:56 a.m.

The Pirelli's ARE the shipped tire on the Z-28. Goodyears are on the ZL1.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
10/18/13 1:00 a.m.

305/30ZR-19 Pirelli PZero Trofeo R

bL79
bL79 New Reader
10/18/13 1:29 a.m.

Yup, true story. Should've fact checked the street word.

Its 305 square right? Id hate to foot that tire bill

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hYhLFF6r0iJLMIM91aBOAJvHPWKCc0AJRaIGQuBxG5zcpGW9ikGDj5oRgwpE44Hh