1 2
grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks New Reader
4/19/10 7:12 p.m.

and enjoying it tremendously. can we just have a real time feedback thread on it?

Ian_F
Ian_F New Reader
4/19/10 7:14 p.m.

I'm enjoying the [probably planned] irony of the LR starting and the LC not.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks New Reader
4/19/10 7:21 p.m.

i know! that cracked me up to, that and the "3-wheel-drive" samurai

Ian_F
Ian_F New Reader
4/19/10 7:27 p.m.

My first thought on the Samurai: "Hmm... I wonder if it has locking hubs..." as a friend who had an even newer Tracker still had manual hubs.

EvanB
EvanB HalfDork
4/19/10 7:34 p.m.

Dammit you got me all excited for a new season but it's just the last episode of last season.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks New Reader
4/19/10 7:37 p.m.

mosts of my interests lie in things like m3s, however i understand the manual ones are much better as the automatic/electronic ones are finnicky. i like the samurai despite its open front diff

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks New Reader
4/19/10 7:39 p.m.

evanb, r u watching the south america 4x4 adventure? im pretty sure this is a new episode

Marty!
Marty! HalfDork
4/19/10 7:41 p.m.

Hammond's Toyota is full of win. Me want.

Ian_F
Ian_F New Reader
4/19/10 7:46 p.m.

In a past life, I was really into 4x4's... Samurais are good little 4x4's... much like early Jeeps.

Sorry Evan...

EvanB
EvanB HalfDork
4/19/10 7:47 p.m.

Well it's new for BBCAmerica, I watched it when it came out in December (torrent).

oldtin
oldtin Reader
4/19/10 7:54 p.m.

That's the joy of auto ADD - got sports cars and off-roaders. Taking a friend on the first trail ride this weekend

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks New Reader
4/19/10 7:56 p.m.

o well lucky you evan! ya i would easily give my third testicle for that cruiser

Ian_F
Ian_F New Reader
4/19/10 8:40 p.m.

"lung nectar"

RedS13Coupe
RedS13Coupe Reader
4/19/10 8:46 p.m.
EvanB wrote: Well it's new for BBCAmerica, I watched it when it came out in December (torrent).

ARG, you BBC America guys are killing me... I always think you mean NEW top gear :(

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
4/19/10 11:29 p.m.

I just watched the whole Death Road segment with my internal monologue screaming MOTHER BERKLEYER!!!

VanillaSky
VanillaSky Reader
4/20/10 12:10 a.m.

My wife told me that if I buy a Land Rover, I'll find myself in South America.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
4/20/10 5:48 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: I just watched the whole Death Road segment with my internal monologue screaming MOTHER BERKLEYER!!!

People usually moan about bits of TG being staged and scripted, and they're probably right, (not that it detracts from the entertainment in the slightest); but that Death Road crossing was terrifyingly real and intense.

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
4/20/10 4:59 p.m.

Wonder how much editing had to be done. It was originally 90 minutes. In the US with commercials fit into a 1 hour time slot you saw probably 46 minutes of it if you're lucky.

02Pilot
02Pilot Reader
4/20/10 6:37 p.m.

They ran it in a 100-minute extended slot, so I doubt they cut too much.

I really didn't need to see this - now I want an old Range Rover. And a jungle to hack and drive my way through.

Keith_Goodrich
Keith_Goodrich New Reader
4/20/10 6:51 p.m.

I missed it last night. Time to check On Demand.

Yes it is on. And the wife aparently allready watched it.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
4/20/10 7:05 p.m.

didn't they create this icelandic volcano crap.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
4/20/10 7:08 p.m.
02Pilot wrote: They ran it in a 100-minute extended slot, so I doubt they cut too much. I really didn't need to see this - now I want an old Range Rover. And a jungle to hack and drive my way through.

funny thing about this episode is that you can go to expeditionportal.com and get the link to the people who followed the top gear guys through the jungle in proper trucks and set up their camps etc...

In a few shots of that episode you can see some properly kitted toyotas.. They did the work, they also fixed all the crap that broke on all the vehicles to keep them running. Yes.. they had mechanics fix every single one of those vehicles.. constantly. The range rover durability bit, is fairly fabricated.

P71
P71 SuperDork
4/20/10 7:29 p.m.

Most of Top Gear is fairly fabricated (watch any of Clarkson's "making of" DVD's).

And I don't care.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
4/20/10 7:33 p.m.
P71 wrote: Most of Top Gear is fairly fabricated (watch any of Clarkson's "making of" DVD's). And I don't care.

I don't either..

but driving an old rangie into the amazon without a full crew to fix the damn thing.....

Well It'd be quicker to drink hemlock.

RossD
RossD Dork
4/20/10 7:34 p.m.

I'd rather watch staged Top Gear than staged Pawn Stars and their "lets go get something healthy to eat, oh I know, how about a turkey sub from Subway?!?!?" BULLE36 M3!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d0FXXoVM7a7bpw4Qod5t7tB3VpXTj56BPmtfhKrw1GWhoFYF7ZlBtr6of6MwQlEg