2 3 4 5
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/7/14 12:42 a.m.

Besides a cat on the factory exhaust, not much.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
8/7/14 8:06 a.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: "Hurdle two is getting it through emissions (federal). " Just curious, but what are the emissions requirements for motorcycles these days?

They are very, very, very easy rules for emissions on bikes http://www.epa.gov/otaq/standards/light-duty/motorcycles.htm

For the HC+NOx requirement, that's almost 10x what cars are allowed. For the most part, cars are at about 0.125 g/mi, going to 0.070 g/mi, and on it's way to 0.030g/mi.

If you don't want to read that- the motorcycle is HC+NOx at 0.80g/km, or 1.16g/mi. Very, very, very easy and cheap.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/28/14 12:39 p.m.

TTAC has a review on the latest Elio prototype. It has some nice visual improvements again.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/08/exclusive-capsule-review-elio-motors-p4-prototype/

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
8/28/14 2:24 p.m.

Good article with lots of good info. I'm surprised they didn't at least give the Metro engine a rebuild/freshening to help make it drive more like what the production car would. Nice to hear its' handling was a lot like a regular FWD car...at least at under 45mph.

Still pulling hard to see them make it into production. I'm oh so tempted to put down a $100 deposit.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
8/28/14 2:26 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: TTAC has a review on the latest Elio prototype. It has some nice visual improvements again. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/08/exclusive-capsule-review-elio-motors-p4-prototype/

Nice article, thanks for the link! That's the sort of thing I've been looking for about the Elio car/bike/trike.

I don't know there there's one in my future, but I highly suspect it. This is the vehicle that keeps me from getting too serious about the Chevy Volt. Well, that and the fact the Volt costs actual money.

jungle
jungle New Reader
9/3/14 3:01 p.m.

I am curious about these things...strictly has a commuter. it does seat 2 people, and it has a "trunk"...albeit I prolly won't have room for a passenger after my normal day-2-day stuff for my job gets put in there. That video makes me think it is louder and slower than it should be. We will see what happens when their real motor gets put into it. It is FWD so snow/rain/ice conditions should be doable.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
9/3/14 3:42 p.m.

In reply to jungle:

Because something is FWD doesn't mean it is automatically good in snow/rain/ice........

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/3/14 3:50 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: I wonder how long it will take for someone on here to put a hayabusa in one.

If it was an option from the factory maybe they wouldn't be having a going out of business sale to get start-up capital.

pjbgravely
pjbgravely Reader
9/4/14 6:10 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to jungle: Because something is FWD doesn't mean it is automatically good in snow/rain/ice........

Very true.

I am thinking that the rear wheel making it's own trail will make things possibly difficult in deep / heavy snow. Also the engine isn't going to weigh enough to keep it from riding up on the snow. I will probably have to keep my Mustang around for the bigger snow storms.

We shall see.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
9/4/14 6:18 p.m.

I was thinking the fuel savings might be enough to for me to have a truck for the winter.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
9/4/14 6:34 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Apexcarver wrote: I wonder how long it will take for someone on here to put a hayabusa in one.
If it was an option from the factory maybe they wouldn't be having a going out of business sale to get start-up capital.

Well, in the new article it stated that the plant layout includes a station for turbo install once things get going. I like the thought of that.

If they make it, 99.99% chance I'll buy one.

etifosi
etifosi Reader
12/24/14 9:36 a.m.

Daydreaming about the next addition to the fleet.

I want an mpgee-whiz car - something miserly with the dino juice yet not miserable to drive. So I'm thinking about 1.0 ecoboost fiestas (haven't driven) but they don't seem stingy enough on fuel. Old Insights are ridickheadulously priced and nothing else interests me because I generally disdain unit-body, transverse-engine, transaxle, fwd "units" & they have completely taken over the roads. That recipe IS perfect for a hatchback (or minivan which = big hatchback) & therefore acceptable for those times when I don't need to "drive", just have to "operate a vehicle".

So I remembered 2015 is alleged to be the year of the ELIO, looked for new news & found this article which made me think of yooz guys.

http://gas2.org/2014/09/14/7-best-possible-uses-elio-motor/

Maybe Ford will offer the Snailed 3-pot handshaker Party as a 3-door soon as that style doesn't look so much like a clown car as does the 5 door.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
12/24/14 10:50 a.m.
pjbgravely wrote:
yamaha wrote: In reply to jungle: Because something is FWD doesn't mean it is automatically good in snow/rain/ice........
Very true. I am thinking that the rear wheel making it's own trail will make things possibly difficult in deep / heavy snow. Also the engine isn't going to weigh enough to keep it from riding up on the snow. I will probably have to keep my Mustang around for the bigger snow storms. We shall see.

What kind of mpg were you able to pull down with your Mustang? Are you on ecomodder?

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
12/24/14 10:52 a.m.

I'm really hoping they make it. That would really open up my commuting options.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
12/24/14 10:55 a.m.

It does have some image concerns that need to be dealt with right away. The challenge with any revolutionary product introduction is that you need to achieve critical mass very quickly. That is a point where people buy them cause they see them and being sheep, you get follow-on sales.

My approach would be to broadcast a bunch of TV adds showing hot young chicks stepping out after a bout of hooning. I bet that would move the first boatload. Look how well the Miata has done as a "Chick Car"

If aimed at the commuter car niche, it MUST have a technology that latches on to a set distance to the car ahead and moves when it does.

I would also go in with a nod towards the young driver. We know they are abandoning the driving world cause at their age and income level cars suck, so this might actually fit their needs if forced to have a set of wheels. Modded versions that attract the aftermarket would also be good to have right from the bat.

The problem as you notice is that I just used up about 2000 samples to get the ball rolling and make sure that they are seen in the right places being driven by the right people. You better have a good launch budget.

Of course, if this whole thing was done by professionals, they already factored all this in.

EvanR
EvanR Dork
12/24/14 12:09 p.m.

Now that Connecticut and Texas have shut down the possibility of registering the Polaris Slingshot as a motorcycle, I fear the same for the Elio.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/24/14 2:45 p.m.

But what does that really mean? I dont have a motorcycle license anyway and i dont think it has MUCH effect on cost of keeping the state happy unless it drives up insurance costs a lot. I know motorcycles benefit from cheap insurance because dying is cheap comparing to surviving as far as health care costs and they dont weigh enough to do the same damage to whatever you hit as a car would.

I think the federal government will consider it to be whatever the hell it wants regardless of what Texas thinks.

pjbgravely
pjbgravely Reader
12/25/14 8:14 p.m.
The_Jed wrote: What kind of mpg were you able to pull down with your Mustang? Are you on ecomodder?

MPGs are terrible especially on E10. 23 to 25 in the winter, 24 to 27 in the summer. My record was 3 tanks at 29 on E0. On the other hand I have a V6 which I can feel pull in 5th gear Yes I am on Ecomodder under the same name.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
12/25/14 9:13 p.m.

In reply to pjbgravely:

I too am on ecomodder, also under the same screen name I use here.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
12/25/14 9:19 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

I think it has to do with which emission standards they are held to. I thought that it was cheaper to pass the bike test.

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
12/25/14 9:34 p.m.

It's a scam.

Mike
Mike HalfDork
12/25/14 10:02 p.m.
EvanR wrote: Now that Connecticut and Texas have shut down the possibility of registering the Polaris Slingshot as a motorcycle, I fear the same for the Elio.

Which is a shame. I used to live near there, and the plant they're looking to build is about seven miles from the Texas border. I'm sure the plant employed a lot of Texans when it was building Silverados. A modest change to MV code would improve Elio's prospects, improving the employment prospects of some Texans. Further, Texas could be a source of supplies. I used to watch a constant stream of trucks (with daycabs - no sleeper) running bare truck chassis on I-20 from Texas.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
12/25/14 10:10 p.m.
EvanR wrote: Now that Connecticut and Texas have shut down the possibility of registering the Polaris Slingshot as a motorcycle, I fear the same for the Elio.

Have no fear, Texas has already told Elio it is legal there.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
12/25/14 10:49 p.m.
chuckles wrote: It's a scam.

No E36 M3. I can't believe people are still talking about this like its a real thing.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/26/14 3:08 p.m.
chuckles wrote: It's a scam.

Is it officially a scam or just vaporware?

As soon as I heard "200,000 vehicles" in their promo video i knew it would never happen.

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CMiOwr7PlHHrhZNF50SE5BivWfVkXFL7C9xZOGGxeI8mK51C6sSYdxutJ8wvj3NK