1 2
16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
8/17/10 8:44 a.m.

So we've had the thread about funny things your significant other has said about cars, but what about when you are "speaking car" and someone doesn't realize it? Someone here has a signature that has something to do with flashing trannies. Perfect example. Anyway, here's mine.

1. Driving down the street with my girlfriend riding shotgun, I happen to see a beautiful early '70s MG Midget. It was black, had the chrome spoke wheels, and was pretty much flawless. Anyway, out of nowhere I say "That's a sexy midget!". The look I got was priceless.

2. When I was in first or second grade, my older sister (she's 10 years older) got her first car, a turd brown mid '70s Audi Fox. One day on the playground at school, I happen to see her driving down the street. So I excitingly tell all my friends, "Hey, see that brown Fox, that's my sister!". At the same time, in the same general direction, there was a middle aged african-american woman walking down the sidewalk. All my friends started laughing hysterically and thought I was nuts.

TJ
TJ SuperDork
8/17/10 8:56 a.m.

I'll have to think about this one. Off the top of my head I was asked about my 1975 BMW by a person in a parking lot. They asked what it was, I replied a BMW 2002. They said, "It looks a lot older than that."

I thn had to explain that 2002 is the model name and that it is a '75. They then asked me if I was the original owner. I said, "No, I was only 5 years old when this car was new."

splitime
splitime Reader
8/17/10 8:59 a.m.

I think it was more along the lines of something I did to my car. The looks from people at the one meet I went to and the recent track events... were priceless.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
8/17/10 11:10 a.m.

Holes in the hood?

blaze86vic
blaze86vic Reader
8/17/10 11:22 a.m.

Duck tape filter hose.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
8/17/10 11:45 a.m.

You guys are a great example of not seeing the forest for the trees :)

That's pretty good, splitime.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
8/17/10 12:02 p.m.

Sooooo much BOOST!!!

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Reader
8/17/10 12:49 p.m.

In reply to splitime. Why is a normally aspirated car intercooled?

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
8/17/10 12:51 p.m.
pilotbraden wrote: In reply to splitime. Why is a normally aspirated car intercooled?

Because it's not:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/901/

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Reader
8/17/10 12:59 p.m.

I see a turbo in the reader rides photo but, this photo does not have the same plumbing and appears to have a diifferent header.

splitime
splitime Reader
8/17/10 2:04 p.m.

I rest my case :)

And just to help people out who are befuddled. I sold my more expensive BB based turbo kit and built my own kit from scratch. The night before a 2day event was the first start up and the new journal bearing was blown sadly. So I pulled it off... borrowed a header from a local miata fellow and built a 3ft exhaust so I could drive at the track day.

Its all being pulled for a different project though. For sale even, reminds me, should put it up on here once I get a chance.

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
8/17/10 7:09 p.m.

"my rear end is leaking"

"I like those trannies"

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
8/17/10 7:36 p.m.

Well car related.. i sometimes refer to young people whose parents bought them cars they could never afford as 'twinks'. Its an old gamer term but i think recently its been completely usurped by the gay community so now whenever i say it people seem to get something different from what i mean..

At least urban dictionary has at least ONE definition for Twink that fits how i use it.. Its a very useful term so i think i should TAKE IT BACK!

marktmv
marktmv New Reader
8/17/10 7:40 p.m.

I get giggles from the GF every time I refer to the Jaguar by its other nickname...

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
8/18/10 10:18 a.m.

I always get a few snickers when referring to my generalized approach to fwd spring rates:

"I like it stiffer in the rear"

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
8/18/10 10:58 a.m.

Any references to MegaStim and MegaSquirt get me odd looks. While not misinterpreted, randomly blurting out "Dajiban!" while driving down the road gets its share of weird looks as well.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
8/18/10 11:09 a.m.

Once I met my folks at a street rod show in OK. The then-girlfriend-now-almost-ex-wife and I had extra trunk space so my father asked if we'd haul the grille that he bought home for him.

I knew it was a new grille for his '37 Ford streetrod.

But after we had put it in the car and were ready to go, she asks, "So, what about the BBQ grill? Don't we need to get that still."

Lol...misunderstandings are funny sometimes.

Now...when my daughter went to see someone "clean the fish" that were caught for the first time...it was a bit of a heartbreaker ;). She expected sponges and soap, I think.

Clem

dollraves
dollraves New Reader
8/18/10 12:35 p.m.

In response to a friend's request for a roadtrip:

"I can't, I gotta take my top off this weekend."

(I had set that weekend aside for replacing the Miata ragtop...)

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
8/18/10 1:49 p.m.
dollraves wrote: In response to a friend's request for a roadtrip: "I can't, I gotta take my top off this weekend." (I had set that weekend aside for replacing the Miata ragtop...)

Pics, or it never happened.

racerfink
racerfink Reader
8/18/10 4:21 p.m.

Reminds me of the classic joke:

An Eskimo takes his car in to the mechanic. Mechanic comes out and says, "Looks like you blew a seal". To which the Eskimo replies, "No, that's just frost".

psteav
psteav Reader
8/18/10 4:55 p.m.
TJ wrote: I'll have to think about this one. Off the top of my head I was asked about my 1975 BMW by a person in a parking lot. They asked what it was, I replied a BMW 2002. They said, "It looks a lot older than that." I thn had to explain that 2002 is the model name and that it is a '75. They then asked me if I was the original owner. I said, "No, I was only 5 years old when this car was new."

About a week after I finished the paint and body on my '73 Duster (would have been 1999) I had an elderly lady at the bank stop me, complement the pretty yellow color, and ask if it was new.

I got a real kick out of it.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
8/18/10 6:27 p.m.

"Dually."

The trucks made to haul things. Dual wheels in the back. Thus Dually. My friends thought it was the funniest thing they'd ever heard. To them, it meant e36 m3. As in, "My dog duallied all over the floor." They did not come from farm/construction families.

I didn't understand the humor. Uh..that's what they're called.

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
8/18/10 7:12 p.m.

Just as the Audi TT came out I bought another ur-quattro. At a gas station, a guy asked me what it was. I said that's my new Audi Quattro Turbo Coupe.

As I got into the car I heard him telling his wife "That's the new Audi TT I was telling you about. It's AWESOME but more square than I expected.. doesn't look anything like a Beetle!"

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
8/18/10 8:37 p.m.

Mention not the name "Wankel" amongst the unwashed masses, lest the situation turn into a scene from "Beavis and Butt-head."

"Uh huh-huh, you said 'wanker,' huh-huh."

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/18/10 8:50 p.m.

More than one person has looked under the snoot of both the Abomination and the Jensenator, then you see their brow furrow and they ask 'What is that?'. I answer usually either 'beer keg' or 'nuclear reactor'. The looks immediately afterwards are priceless.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1lSib9aeQFkdIWgcUIWbcR0dp3iJUmxtG6QCmb5mF8dBlZ17iUv2td7XtSVpMBPA